1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by wst, 23 Sep 2010.

1. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

:jawdrop: You forgot to dot the i :duh:
    I too, love this game. Im too poor though so I share my friends account.
    I made a nice wooden house on a lake that is surrounded by coal, iron and gold.

2. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

ahh i was trying to copy the bit-tech logo, maybe i'll add a dot tomorrow :)

3. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Ahh, I only just realised this is posted in the Linux section ... Probably wiser to change the section to general gaming?

I refuse to grow a beard and wear Tees with penguins on them, count me out!

:wallbash:
    :eyebrow:
    ;)
    :thumb:

4. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

It's a cross-platform game :p

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Just bought this game tonight. I've built a pretty epic cave to begin with, with a watch tower and well lit. Gonna spend a few more days improving the cave, then go out and find new materials to start to build a house.

6. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

My Source clan just went a bit overkill in this. Totally keen set of houses, nice and cosy :D

7. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Really want to buy this, having a bit of an issue with paypal at the moment though.
    Been playing the fee classic version though to sate my addiction :D

Question for the group here: is there any difference between playing the web page version and the .exe version? (besides the 'can play offline' bit)

8. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Standalone runs smoother AFAIK, and you can maximise the window.

9. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

IF you mean the difference between classic and alpha, yes a BIG difference. Classic is just unlimited blocks build what you want. The standalone alpha client is more of a free roam world. You start with nothing, you smash stuff to get blocks, wood to craft a crafting box, to make tools to make smashing stuff easier, which in turn you can make stone tools, and when you find them underground, diamond and iron tools. Also at night monsters spawn, and they want to kill you. In dark enough places, monsters spawn, and they want to kill you. So you have to make a house to protect you at night, though this just means, build your mine in your house to keep you busy at night :)

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

He speaks the truth!

The funny thing about Minecraft is the way there is no tutorial at all. It's interesting seeing new players and their unique reactions to the world. Funny how most people come to the same conclusion as "build a house, mine out of it", or at least a very similar behaviour. My first world I dug a hole into the side of a mountain and sealed the entrance to make a house. Just a variation of the basic pattern. Made me feel very uncreative :p

As a general guide to starting in Minecraft:
    -Punch down a tree and take the wood
    -Make planks out of the wood in your crafting menu
    -Make a crafting table out of four planks
    -Make sticks out of planks
    -Combine sticks and planks to make wooden pickaxe
    -Mine stone with wooden pickaxe
    -Make stone tools out of sticks and stone (be sure to make a sword)
    -Start gathering wood/stone/dirt/etc to make yourself a house
    -Build said house, and be sure to add a door (uses planks)
    -Mine for coal. It's usually on exposed rock if you look around
    -Mix coal and sticks to make torches, place these in your house
    -Optional: Place a crafting table, chest, and furnace in your house
    -Start mining out of your house's floor

And there you go! Day one in Minecraft.

11. wst

wst Minimodder

"Linux" is rarely used in the gaming section, so I figured I'd use it for the novelty.

12. Pieface

Pieface Modder

My house doesn't have a mine, although it's still a WIP. I do have a cave with a mine, and I've got an epic mine by my house. All lit up.

13. wst

wst Minimodder

FFFFF 3 creepers in 5 minutes, and then when I went up a tall tree and stacked up loads of dirt to mark out an interesting thing I kinda fell off and died and my stuff got stuck in the tree as night fell and I was outta torches. DAMMIT.

But I only lost some wood and some axes. Will punch trees the next day methinks. Need to make more picks, I got through all my supply of sticks.

14. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

i played with my girlfriend by my side, jumping at the zombies in dark caverns, giving cute "orders" on what to build. many laughs were had.

then we broke up.
    now i don't want to even load the game to save myself from wondering around the vast caverns and halls alone.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The beauty of Minecraft: You can never lose! Just get back in there! If you're really having trouble consider making some chests and leaving everything that is non-essential to your current task inside. For example, if you're chopping down trees then just bring some axes and put all of you mining picks in the chest. That way if you die most of your items are safe.

Also, consider building near your spawn. Lighting up your spawn area will prevent monsters from spawning around it so you'll always have a safe spot. Just be careful about building too much right on your actual spawn point. Some people have reported problems such as spawning up too high, or inside of blocks, when they altered the actual spot where they spawn.

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Pfft, are you playing on peaceful? :p

I was a nervous wreck last night after trying to excavate the area above my main mineshaft to create a skylight. It's set right inside a small hill which has been notorious since day 1 for spawning a ton of creepers, (I died here on my first day trying to collect some wood - the crater is still there), and to make matters worse it's covered by a really dense forest so you can't usually see them until it's too late.

So anyway, I was marking out the corners by digging upwards, and when I broke through I heard the unmistakable ssssssSSSSSSSSsssssssSSSSSSssssssSSSS of impending death. Luckily I was still well sheltered by the surrounding rock, so it didn't harm me. Thinking it must now be safe, I jumped up and came face to face with another creeper. I tried to get away, but he managed to take off half my health, then another one which I hadn't even seen exploded a split second later and killed me. Desperate to retrieve my diamond pick and sword, I made a mad dash from my spawn at sunset to try and retrieve it. Once I had reached the bottom of the large, smouldering crater and was in the process of tidying up my inventory, I was ambushed by another 3 creepers at the same time. I can manage one fine, but 3 is just ridiculous. So I died again, but in the end managed to get my diamond tools back. What was supposed to be a simple excavation job turned out to be a long, laborious process of death, despair and destruction. Needless to say, it's now a total no-go zone.

Looking on the bright side though, the combined explosions of those 6 creepers made a crater so large that it saved me a good 15 minutes of digging :lol:

17. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Should see my special cave. Only one way to get in through a door and it's got a balcony on one side with no way in, but a way out and a staircase to the roof. So I have a 360 view of all around me. Although I keep finding different animals on my roof!

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Do you use diamond tools for general digging? I've completely stopped using them simply because they're too valuable, with the exception of the diamond pick for obsidian mining. Iron picks work quite well and are far easier to come by, usually an iron pick will net me 3-5 ore in its lifetime so it effectively lasts forever. Shovels/axes I make out of stone because they'll never get me any iron back. As for weapons, I'm a bow man almost exclusively :D

Or maybe I'm just deluding myself into believing diamond isn't worth it because I'm so bad at finding it. About shat myself finding that diamond by random chance on Stickeh's server yesterday.

Oh! And cover your mountain in torches. They're easy to make so just spam the whole thing

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Well once I reached bedrock in my mine I excavated a ~20x20x3 area at the bottom, and managed to find 12 or so diamond in that, as well as a few more bits from ventures into deep cave systems. So far I've made 2 diamond picks and one diamond sword out of it (tools are the only useful thing you can make with diamond, so I figure if I spend so much effort finding it then I'm damn well going to use it and not let it sit in a chest). I think diamond tools last roughly 9-10 times longer than steel tools, so they're worth it just for the added speed and convenience. Diamond picks are good because they dig through rock so quickly, while even a stone shovel eats through dirt and gravel pretty damn quick and it's really easy to knock up 4 or 5 of them and they will last you a while. But overall I would say I use diamond picks 50% of the time, and steel picks the other 50%. The way I see it, iron/steel is actually more valuable to me than diamond since it has so many more uses. Especially when you start thinking about building minecarts and tracks, you can never have enough steel then. I never use stone picks any more, they're just too slow, but all my shovels are stone.

Good idea with the torches, I've got so much coal I don't even know what to do with it. There wasn't much coal immediately available in my starting area though, so I was extremely stingy with the torches for a long time. Even now I can't be bothered sometimes. It's not unusual for me to be walking around in one of my longer corridors or larger caves and turn around to find a creeper right there behind me. I should really do something about that.

20. Bufo802

Bufo802 Minimodder

Just bought the game after watching the videos by coestar, and just trying the single player to start with. Been going well apart from a slight lack of coal on my island at the beginning, making the first few nights a bit worrying.