1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-bigadv Not Kicking In

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Phalanx, 25 Sep 2010.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'm already looking at that board as we speak mate. I'm thinking an SR-2 with a pair of Xeon X5650's and four GTX295's (If I can find them) or GTX460's (If I can't) would be a nice build.

I've even got a spare HAF922 case sat next to me! :D

2. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Wasn't expecting that response. Nice :thumb:

Can't speak from personal experience but from I've read there are few cases that can fit the board without modding and I'd urge caution on the 295s as the SR-2 apparently has a tendency to overheat when OCed and running multiple GPUs. This may not be an issue if you're planning on water cooling the board but you'll still be drawing over 1.5KW from the wall.

This last point is from personal experience of pulling around 1.1 KW running 4 x 295s on a relatively low power CPU. Just my 2c worth but the 460 approach is probably the safer and less expensive option.

3. Phalanx

an SR-2 with 2 x X5650's and 4 GTX 295's runs in at 1.3KW from previous tests on the EVGA forum.

If I replace it with 4 GTX 460's it will run less. I'm thinking a Silverstone 1.5KW PSU should handle it nicely inside a Lian Li PC-P80 case :) I won't be doing any serious OCing on the CPUs, as even 3.6GHz OC is enough to give stupidly good speeds. I think the bigger problem will be the cooling, but as I don't like watercooling (maintenance), I'll be looking at something like the Thermaltake Frio or the Noctua NH-D14.

Some people have mentioned that a couple of Corsair H50/70s would do nicely for cooling.

4. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Maybe so. I was using dual PCB 295s at the time and thinking that the remainder of the rig would pull about 500w if OCed to 3.8/4GHz.

Sounds good. If you use 460s, the much recommended 1.25 KW Enermax will probably do the trick too.

I'd certainly recommend the H70. One I've got cooling a 980X at 4.2 GHz has it at about 55 degrees C on a cold day like today. Stock fans are a bit noisy though.

I've struggled with imagining how I'd mount two of these in the P80. Any thoughts or links on this?

5. Phalanx

Well I was thinking mounting the left CPU cooler to use the 120mm exhaust at the back of the case, and the right CPU cooler mounted with a 140-120mm converter to the 140mm exhaust at the top.

That then leaves the 3 140mm front fans to draw air across the cards and suck in cool air for the rads. The positive pressure should lead to a nice circulation of air.

You can see what I mean from here: http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...131&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=61&g=spec

Scroll down for photos :)

Last edited: 26 Sep 2010
  6. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Doh, didn't realise there were converters.

Thanks mate, you've just removed one more excuse for me not to buy an SR-2 :D

7. Phalanx

8. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Thanks again :) That happens to be the one they stock at scan and I can feel myself getting poorer by the second. Time to think up some new excuses.

9. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

What about four GTX 480s? :naughty:

(Please don't sue me if the power company gets angry with you for blowing out the local substation!)

10. Dave_Goodchild

Dave_Goodchild Another CPC refugee

Wouldn't like to think how much heat that would put out and the power requirements :jawdrop:

11. 1Razor

1Razor Living life one day at a time....

It's alright for you self made millionaires buying all this Gucci equipment and setting it off against taxes thanks to your expensive accountants........!:D:D

Think about all us poor Joe's who have to work for a living and can only DREAM about things like this. :sigh:

What me, super poor, must be, cos' the wife says so!!!!:waah:

12. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I wish but you're right about the cost of the accountant at least.

Wrong way round. The trick is to convince the wife you're poor.

'It's been a bad month again Darling. Off to Asda for that handbag I'm afraid'.
    'What about all that computer equipment I've signed for.'
    'Absolutely necessary for work. You do want me to do well don't you?'

Our hobby seems to have turned me into a bit of a sinner :D