1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News TF2 gets in-game store, new minigame

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 1 Oct 2010.

1. julieb

julieb What's a Dremel?

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

hmmm...

not sure about this one Valve. Don't want to be beaten because someone has more disposable income!

3. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

Can't say I'm thrilled to see loads of rich newbs prancing around in their newly bought itempack.

But still, vintage items Cheesecake?

@mi1ez, the bonuses are prone to tweaking if they prove to be too powerful, at least that's what the Valve I know would do.

4. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

This isn't the point of the update.

5. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

LOL @ bottom left on page 4: "They'll take our current inventory and like it! cheaply made unsafe products that catch on fire"

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Material, did you play today?

I'm guessing not.

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It's not that big a deal, the gameplay changing stuff (i.e. the polycount weapons) can be randomly dropped or crafted. I just crafted most of them today :)

The rest is personalisation stuff, not a big deal. Just play the game already.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Polycount weapons??

I've not played in a while last time i found i was so rusty i wasn't enjoying it as much as i used to this isn't exactly encouraging me.

9. Goty

Goty Minimodder

You don't have to pay for the items to have every single new one already.

I've got nearly every item in the update already, and I didn't pay a cent. I just crafted the items using the materials I'd been saving up just for this purpose.

10. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

11. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I hate this sort of thing, why not just let us pay with real money when we want something instead? So much simpler.

12. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

is this a fictionary wallet? or do you actualy need to buy credits with real money?

13. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

If items we're to have a certain value, then surely you could return items that are randomly dropped in return for credit?

14. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Obiwan - it's real money. There is a minimum amount you can put in (£4) but all prices are in real currency (none of this credit crap like XBL or Riot Points)

15. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

At this point in time there are items that you can only realistically obtain by buying them that have gameplay effects. Valve are aware of this but until they fix it I will just have to deal with the cashed up nubs.

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I knew I should have made my thread in this section last night

17. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Yes, it is real money - your money. So rather than keep it in your own account to earn interest, you give it to Valve for safe keeping. Guess who earns the interest then? :)

Plus you can't withdraw cash from your wallet - once it is in there, you have to purchase items with it.

Can't believe that anyone would want to use this service.

18. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

If you could withdraw cash from your Steam Wallet, I think they might be subject to some banking regulations, which is more trouble than it's worth.

I'm really not sure why anyone would bother purchasing items unless they've got a bunch of disposable income, everything is pretty much cosmetic since the new weapons more often than not have disadvantages that outweigh their benefits (that, and if they do somehow turn out to be better you can bet they'll be nerfed shortly). I suppose if you really, really want a certain hat then it might be worth it, but I'm content to stick with mostly the stock weapons and the stock character design.

19. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

"One of the interesting side effects of shipping free updates for Team Fortress 2 over the years has been a large and devoted group of people who write us asking if they can simply buy game items directly."

These people exist, I don't see what's so offensive about them. To be honest, with the number of items available in TF2 now, spending $5 to get the exact ones I want immediately rather than working towards them (as I would have had to without this update) is appealing. I have more money than time, if spending a little gets the most out of my time that's fine with me.

20. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Oh, i agree - can't blame Valve for exploiting a business opportunity. Or people wanting to buy items.

I just don't see the point of transferring £50 into your 'wallet', spending maybe £30 of it and leaving Valve to look after the balance until there is something else you want to buy.

Tags: Add Tags