1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam New low for Steam

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by impar, 29 May 2009.

1. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

As much as it sucks for those in Europe, no one has a 'right' to ask for Steam prices to be the same in different regions. Steam is a company just like any supermarket chain. If Tescos started charging twice the price for something, you'd just shop elsewhere, wouldn't you? Not start a 500-page long thread on the Internet in a crusade to get them to lower their prices.

In short, they're welcome to charge whatever they like for games, but if those higher prices make them less attractive than retail stores then it's only Valve who's losing out, not the consumers.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This horse has been flogged to death, I think I'm going to un-subscribe from this thread...

3. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

You actually subscribed? :p

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Because I still have to use their software to play the games I bought and some I will eventually buy.
    No. But it would be reasonable to ask for Steam to be at the same price level as retail stores. Especially considering its a cheaper to operate DD store.

As for me buying games from Steam, it happens when the game is at 50%+ discount and I havent already the game bought from some retail store. Its the only situation where the game is cheaper.

5. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

As many people have said in this thread if you disagree with Valve's pricing schemes for certain games (me included) vote with your wallet. Importantly, wait for the amazing weekend deals and snap up your favourite games.

$10 US for Left 4 Dead 1 recently for example and DODS costs the same, great prices. I'm really waiting for a Christmas sale. :D

Tbh, you're really silly if you get ripped off on Steam which is INTERNET based, I mean a price comparison is a few clicks away on Google, I mean really ... :wallbash:

6. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You subscribe as soon as you reply...

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Gumboy Tournament
    1,99€, £2.99, US$2.99

It seems that its now £1=US$1. :worried:

8. impar

impar Minimodder

9. impar

impar Minimodder

10. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

What's your point?

Banks etc charge for transfers instead of direct sales. It's not unreasonable to set a minimum. Shops do it with certain types of bank cards in the real world.

THIS IS NOTHING NEW, NOR IS IT NEWS.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I look on Steam for games I want then go onto Amazon or Game and buy them for less. Steam are good for the occasional deals, indie games and old hard to find games. But with a lot of games they charge more than other places.

My advice is to work out what games you want and then shop around.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    The minimum transfers are a direct reference to the price of items inside the TF2 game. $1=1€ in Valves world.
    $49.99 = 49,99€ for the entire pack or $17.49=17,49€.

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm afraid, impar your not going to garner much sympathy round here. British people have been paying over the odds for stuff for decades we are now hardened and resigned to the fact that the cost of stuff is unfair. Same advice i'd give to some one in the UK, stop whinging vote with your wallet.

14. magickangaroo

magickangaroo What's a Dremel?

i think the trick is to get the weekend specials. Wouldn't buy stuff thats hugely overpriced.

15. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

New steam games = extortion

Old steam games = fandabbydoozy

Until they have a weekend deal then theres only one word that is applicable.

"YARRRRR" and that goes with my +1 eyepatch of swashbucklyness

Nic

16. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

And you know the reason they can actually set the prices this high? Some clods pay that price.

Don't be a clod, look on Amazon/Play/Game etc. and stop whining. It's also not like you can't buy the game elsewhere then run a shortcut through Steam anyway.

17. The Toy

The Toy The Ticking Time-Bomb

Reading this thread made me bite my lip until it bled.

18. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

I had to re-read this thread again to see what I'd said before, but all I know is, HMV.com is cheaper for L4D1 GOTY in a box and has been since the summer, as a technically budget game I can't see them (HMV) ever putting the price back up. So even when Steam games get old there's still competition, it would depend on the postage charges in continental Europe to see if there was any leeway over price there.

I'm personally done with Steam other than for authentication, the games are too big to waste hours and hours downloading anymore, it's been nice that they got the platform working and all but I'll keep my games on disc unless there's some killer first day offer.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

CS:GO at pre-order 10% off
    US - $13.49
    UK - £10.79 - $16.81
    EU1 - 12,59€ - $15.56
    EU2 - 9,89€ - $12.22

Whitout VAT at 20%:
    UK - $14.01
    EU1 - $12.97
    EU2 - $10.18

Publisher: Valve

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Oh wow, this old chestnut again? I thought I'd unsubscribed from this thread already...

Your "without VAT" prices are slightly off: (9.89 - 20%) * 1.23635 != 10.18 (or (9.89 * 1.23635) - 20%; either way works).

Though it may be somewhat of a redundant point, considering that you don't really say whether the European or US prices you list include local sales tax or not, and what that rate of local sales tax actually is.

If you apply the above calculation to the UK price - it's a fair assumption that VAT has been added to that price - then it works out as: 10.79 - 20% = 8.632; 8.632 * 1.56562 (current GBP to USD rate, according to XE.com) = 13.51, not the 14.01 you list below. 13.51 is pretty darn close to the initial USD price you list. But, again, does the USD price already include local sales tax and if so what is that tax rate? You need to know this kind of info if you're going to make a comparison of the cost minus sales tax - you can't just apply a blanket value of 20% if that rate does not apply to the those regions. Citing your sources would help.

That aside, I'll say it again: I'm afraid you're flogging a dead horse here; this thread alone is two and a half years old, and the last post (prior to yours) was nearly two years ago.

Valve/Steam are not the first and will not be the last to charge different prices for the same goods and services sold in different regions of the world; you don't need to examine costs minus sales tax to come to that conclusion. If you don't like it, don't pay it.