1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News TF2 gets in-game store, new minigame

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by julieb, 1 Oct 2010.

1. Matticus

Matticus ...

I like the idea of this, and have been discussing with my friends at great length about the whole system.

We have come to the conclusion that it is fine to allow players to buy items if they don't want to wait for drops. But giving gameplay bonuses to people that are willing to spend £12 on a hat and a few other items to get the full polycount pack (for that class) is a bit annoying, 20% less damage taken from turrets with the soldier is nothing to sniff at. You are usually 1 rocket away from taking it down before it gets you, so if you are willing to spend £15 you can give yourself the advantage to take it down first. Which unbalances gameplay.

But what really takes the biscuit, snipers not dying from headshots by having the whole polycount pack, serously!??!?! That means on maps like hightower where quite often snipers shoot at each other from opposing "balconies" you will be pretty much invulnerable to sniper fire.

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I've just played for a couple of hours and didn't really notice it being terribly unbalanced only comment i have on the store though is its ****ing expensive!

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am hoping the perks for having the polycount pack are a little like the Direct Hit.

Allow me to explain...

If you are rubbish with the soldier, the Direct Hit will actually be more of a hindrance than the normal rocket launcher. Meaning you can't buy skill.

If you are pretty good with the soldier the Direct Hit will be good in some situations for you and not others, possibly about level with the normal launcher and using it will be more personal preference.

If you are a god like soldier then what launcher you are using should be the least of the worries of the opposing players.

4. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

you just know the minute you bought a weapon it'd be dropped the next time you play

5. steveo_mcg

Here's hoping

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

It would be useful for younger people who don't have credit cards or paypal and have to use their parents card, rather than asking every time they can just put some money in there and they can buy when they want. Also you don't have to use the wallet, you can do a direct credit card purchase.

I also think the store is a good idea, as Mentai said. It can also bring about real world value to the weapons, then you can trade your TF2 weapons you get for beer :D

7. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

8. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

I believe a side affect of the snipers not being able to be headshot is that they can't headshot anyone either.

What's bothering me about this is that to gain the class bonus you also need the hat. The chances of getting just one of the hats you would need for any class are tiny effectively meaning you would have to pay to get a class bonus.

9. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I think it's scummy to charge people significant wedges of money for an edge in an online shooter. Why not just buy some hacks if having an advantage means that much to you.

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That is the first new product announcement I've actually enjoyed in a long time! :D

11. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

I just noticed there are some items you have to buy. Like keys to unlock the Mann .Co chests, and dueling tokens, whatever those are.

Bad move Valve, bad bad move.

12. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I have seen many people find the duelling mini game and as for the crates you can trade them. The server I was on last night had about 10 crates being traded. Some people are willing to buy the keys so if you find a crate just tell people and see what you can get for it. As for the the hat for the set you can craft the hats you know, just from other things, 75 weapons = 1 class specific hat so if you play enough you can craft the hat you want (still random but just keep trying)

Personally I don't think it matters, the bonuses are not that great and can easily be negated by a little bit of skill. Plus I am sure like normal all items will be excluded from clan matches etc. So if you are playing casually then a couple of people on the other side will have full sets but then so will some on your team.

13. Goty

Goty Minimodder

Luckily there's nothing special about the items in the crates, except for maybe you'll get an "unusual" item, which only differs from the item it is based on in appearance.

14. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

Yes. But it means you will HAVE to trade the chests away, and how will you feel if the person that traded it gets a super-rare item out of it? ^_^

15. Pooeypants

Pooeypants What's a Dremel?

One of the items allows a spy to auto instant re-disguise after a successful stab. I'm sorry, that's just wrong.

16. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Having just spent about 2 hours playing on two different publics, im at the point of wanting to uninstall TF2 now, a game i have enjoyed since release, for god knows how many years now.

I know publics are publics, and you cant expect much. But in a 32 player server, having 4 or 5 players each side NOT playing, and just sitting in the spawn zone spamming what they have to trade, is just pointless, and damaging to the game.

If this trading system is going to stay, one of the following needs to happen (and im not sure if these are already in place ;

1. Trade "offline", or outside of the game, via forums, or IRC.
    2. Have a server cvar that can turn off trading in your server, so people can concentrate on gaming.
    3. Simply make trading servers, where the sole point is to trade. Much like achievement servers.

17. steveo_mcg

Yes but it doesn't allow him to disguise until he has performed the first stab so you can see how that is a major downside for a weak spy.

Like after all updates you can expect a period where the game is unsettled but i'm sure normal sevice will resume soon enough. Only shame with this update is that there is no counter, after the spy update playing pyro was great fun as there were lots of James Bond wannabes just asking to be bbqed.

18. Matticus

Matticus ...

I played for a good few hours tonight and noticed some players really dominating with new items, but it seemed a good enough mix between teams that it didn't alter the outcome of each round, just the amount of kills for that player.

I did get 2 drops on my first death which I was pleased about, only gloves and the choc bar for heavy but better than nothing, right? Well apparently my luck continued as I totaled 7 drops tonight, one of which being the replacement for the buff banner, the battalions backup. :D

It seems pretty good, much more useful for charges than the buff banner. You seem to do more damage overall by surviving longer instead of spamming misplaced crits.

19. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Have you seen the prices?? Jesus I thought it was in Yen, looked twice and it's in pounds sterling. You can pay more for a Rocket Launcher than you would buying a new copy of the damn game. I saw a hat there for £15. I'd rather go and buy a new game all together than buy anything from there.

20. Kamakazie!

Kamakazie! What's a Dremel?

As usual, people posting here about certain items benefits without bothering to look at the drawbacks that the item gives....

..... Sounds like every other update then.

Thes items are no different to usual class updates. Every benefit has a drawback. Valve isn't stupid and they know what would happen if they unbalanced the game through the introduction of purchase only items that had significant benefits.

Tags: Add Tags