1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Is IPS all that?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pookeyhead, 17 Jul 2010.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

The "black glow" will be far less noticeable for you Goodbytes, because you have a 24" panel. You will actually have to move your head to the side to see it, but on a 30", because the angle between your eye and the edge is so much greater than between eye and centre, you can notice it in the corners even when sat dead on centre to the monitor.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Aha! Ok Thanks

3. Gunharp

Gunharp What's a Dremel?

This seems to be the best thread to ask my display question. The Anandtech LCD thread seems to be stuck in the doldrums and reading Xbitlabs, Prad, Flatpanelshd, tftcentral, etc. just has me running in circles.

I currently use a Samsung 215TW that I bought in January of 2008. I want to upgrade from this sPVA panel to something better, the only thing is whatever monitor I end up getting I want to connect my PS3 to it. Seems early to upgrade already but actually being able view 1080p content would be nice.

Budget is $500-700 USD, looking for a display that is 23" or 24" in size. Currently eying the Dell U2410, HP ZR24W, HP LP2475w and the NEC EA231WMI-BK. The Dell seems to have a few reported issues. I do lean towards the NEC model, because it seems like a killer deal and I would be able to purchase two.

I am looking for opinions and suggestions and please do suggest another model of monitor if possible. I think the big reason I am asking for advice is that I am confused about extended color gamut on the non eIPS monitors I listed, and if this should effect my purchasing decision at all.

4. GoodBytes

Ok, If you go with an IPS panel, such as the U2410, and the 2 HP model as you mentioned, you must note that blacks won't be as good as your PVA. Under blacks, the way the IPS panel turns the LCD liquid, allow the backlight pass some light, which can be an issue if you don't look at the screen straight. BUT, unlike PVA panel, IPS is better at bright colors and whites, as unlike the PVA panel, you have no back light bleeding on those color range.

The pink/green tint issue of the U2410 has been solved. It's just bad LG panels.
    The sever back light bleeding has been solved as well
    The deterring issue has also been solved.
    The above issues has all been solved (except the deterring issue on the Adobe RGB and sRGB pre-calibrated color profile) with the at the end of the revision A00 life, and the deterring issue has been solved in revision A01.
    If your not happy with your monitor, and if you ordered it from Dell, you can return it to Dell, and Dell will pay the return shipping for you (Call Dell, tell them your not satisfied with the monitor, and they will send you a pre-paid shipping label for you to return the monitor).

The grainy issue reported, is something I cannot confirm as I don't have any HDMI devices. But I can tell you that Display Port, the 2x DVI, VGA, component and composite connector is not there on my U2410. As Display Port is essentially HDMI with support to all DVI resolutions, without any royalty fees, I don't think it's a issue that you will be faced.
    As the post was dated in Nov 2009, he probably got the early first batch of faulty LG screens, which should be covered under warranty. Again, if you don't like it, you can return the screen.

Now they are other reports of people complaining about the screen film. As Dell decided to use a light-scratch resistance film, with virtually no reflection, the film is textured and can be slightly visible on whites, but it's not, well for me, bothersome at all. I only see it if I purposely focus on it, up close.
    I enjoy this light-scratch resistant film very much, as the monitor is expensive, I don't want to fall one day where I use a cleaning cloth, that was not super duper clean for wtv reason, or has a hard dust particle, and end up scratching my screen. Moreover, I had recently an accident, I cleaned my desk, and I had these notebooks with the metal spring on the sides,, and when I lift it, I was careless for a moment, and I scratch my U2410.. or so I thought. After very close inspection, even under a halogen light (which reveals any minor defects of anything, including the micro scratches of my desk), and nope.. nothing. So now, it's official, I am always getting a screen with that film :)

5. Gunharp

Gunharp What's a Dremel?

@GoodBytes

Thanks for the in depth info on what issues have been fixed with the regarding the Dell U2410. Is this monitor you would recommend for me?

Last edited: 3 Oct 2010
  6. GoodBytes

Again, I can't comment on the HDMI on the U2410 as I have no HDMI devices.
    So I would see with Dell or your country, the return policy, and process, and how many days you have. If you go with the u2410, be sure to get is on specials. The monitor in Canada was 750$, I got mine on special at 500$. You should check or be patient for specials. If you can't, then be sure to call Dell small business, and form there use your negotiation skills to drop the price :)

I enjoy my U2410 very much. It's not perfect.. but that has more to do with the IPS technology limitation (which I mentioned), than anything else. Also the price is to be considered, it's not a 1.5-2k monitors.
    I do use the side by side picture-in-picture, I have my laptop on Display port and my Wii connected to it. Does a pretty good job.
    Colors and fantastic under the pre-calibrated Adobe RGB. But I am sure, as a photograph, he would prefer to calibrate with his own calibrator. Custom profile allows for fine adjustments on the colors. The monitor is solid, comes with 3 year warranty, 0 bright pixel warranty. 0 black pixel warranty would be better, but no company follows that, but at least it's something. Oh, and the monitor itself looks sleek and professional.