1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Overclocking my i7 to 4.2Ghz

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevenrlp, 4 Oct 2010.

1. stevenrlp

stevenrlp What's a Dremel?

Would you consider this overclock safe for 24/7 use?

CPU= i7 930 @ 4.2 Ghz (D0)
    Mem 6GB @ 1600 mhz
    Cooler H70 (air from inside case)
    Motherboard x58a-ud3r

see my sig for full system specs!

All CPU features off apart from thermal monitoring and hyper threading

BCLK = 200 X21
    The only voltages that are not at stock are the Vcore @ 1.30625v, ddr @ 1.64v and CPU PLL @ 1.860000v

Idle temperatures are at about 48c – 52c
    After an hour of prime95 it’s hitting around 85c – 90c

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guest-44432 likes this.
  2. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Those load temps look a bit high to me. Have you tried the H70 in push pull mode? try to get some cool air from outside the case onto the rad. Just my opinion :D

3. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Technically speaking, there isn't much danger providing your sure that on the hottest day your CPU wont hit the thermal maximum.

4. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

Voltages look pretty good, I'm surprised you haven't had to tweak your VTT at all... remember this should be within 0.5v of your DIMM voltage. I'd guess with better cooling you can get more out of this chip.

Temps are slightly spicy for my liking, I aim around 80 max but I guess it's down to the individual... you might need to crank it back a bit in hotter weather.

5. AngusW

AngusW mmm

I dunno man those temperatures look a bit high for comfort to me. I'm running a similar setup with an i7 920 at 4.2 ghz and i'm not getting temps anywhere near that high. (I did upgrade the fans on the h70 to scythe silent eagles 1150rpm though) I'm getting about 35-40 idle and at 100% load i'm in the mid to late 60s and the highest i've reached is 73 on core0 with intelburntest at very high.

I looked up your case and do you have fans installed at the top? Looking at your case what i'd do is have the fans in a push pull configuration setup to get air from outside the case as suggested with an additional fan or two at the top for exhaust.

6. digitaldunc

Since I can't see my posts yet to edit I'll have to post again, sorry.

You could always turn off hyperthreading, from what I've read games don't respond much to more than three cores, and will always prefer raw clock over additional logical cores. Disabling hyperthreading on my rig gave me an additional 7-10C to play with.

7. stevenrlp

I have left my computer on all day today that could be why I am getting such high temps, in my case I have two 120mm fractal design fans at the front pulling air in and the H70 in the rear with the corsair fans extracting the air from the case. I still have the side and top vents on the fractal covered up, perhaps I should buy some decent fans as these fractal fans don’t move much air.

8. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

This may sound weird, but what i you reversed your airflow? This is just me thinking out loud, but if you had the corsair fans pulling air into the case (through the rad), and the front fans extracting? This way you are only pulling cold air through the rad.

I've never seen back to front airflow, so i wouldn't know. But thats just my logic.

9. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

With the GTX 480 possibly putting a lot of heat into your case, you might want to try using the H70 as an intake, taking in cooler air from the outside.

It's always worth just seeing how much of a difference this makes.

10. stevenrlp

I will try swapping it around tomorrow night and see what the difference is, but I still think I have to invest in some decent fans. Anyone know what's the best 120 / 140 mm fans are for cooling and silence?

11. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

The Scythe gentle typhoons has the best noise to performance ratio. One of the highest air pressure fans so it is great for radiators.

If you want more performance there are those Feser fans. They are a lot thicker than average fans so you might not be able to mount them because they are deisgned for full sized radiators. They perform a bit better but not in terms of noise.

digitaldunc likes this.
  12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

the thing people dont understand bout these all-in-one watercoolers is that the water is like a temperature buffer, which makes them such great coolers under varying conditions. Keep loading the porcessor though, and the cooling area on the radiator is actually smaller then the area on a TRUE. This means that those "load" temps are always really disappointing when you overclock a nice powerful I7.

I suggest you take a sample of the heaviest workload you will throw at it (a nice game of Starcraft II for example) and record the maximum temp on that stretch. You will see that your load temps are absolutely fine. What you also want to watch is the first two-three minutes of load on a program like prime, but anything more then that is really just stability testing and not representative of any real-life temperature your CPU will hit.

In short, nice OC, nice low voltages you got there, temps are fine.

Instagib and Unicorn like this.
  13. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I couldn't agree more. Prime is a synthetic benchmark; you will never load all 4 cores to 100% in any real life program; therefore you will never see those high temps during regular use of your pc.

Also i agree; you are probably at the limit of what the H70 can effectively cool.

14. stevenrlp

Can someone link me to which 120mm / 140mm I should buy from scan.co.uk, noise is not going to be such a problem as I am also going to be buying a fan controller.

Thanx!

15. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Well said

16. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

+1. Perfect advice.

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Reverse your H70 so it acts like a intake and add two decent 120/140mm case fans to the top as exhausts.

This is the setup I use with my i7 920 @ 3.8ghz under a Corsair H50. I have never seen temperatures as high as you are seeing (in fact 8 thread 100% burn in using OCCT I havn't seen temperatures above 75 degrees).

I would imagine you are seeing high(er) temps as your H70 is acting like the only exhaust, the only air your cpu is being cooler by has already been warmed up inside the case (possibly by your GPU/NB etc).

19. digitaldunc

+1

I have 7 of these in my machine, quiet and do the job... I have an itch that says I'd be getting better temps if I had higher CFM fans though.

20. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold