1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft demos LightSpace

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

This is all great, and R&D should of course go on, but while they're farting about with this stuff Apple are, well, releasing products.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Microsoft take fancy new tech and turn it into mediocre products. Apple takes mediocre tech and turns it into fancy new products.

Somewhere between the two = Maximum Profit!

4. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Sounds cool, shame I can't get the link to load :/

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Mediocre tech in mediocre products? I don't think it's a winner :D

6. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

MS is a major shareholder at Apple, fyi

Apple takes outdated 4 year old tech and creates overpriced crappy products (iMacs, iPods, iPads, the whole lot) if you think a Powerbook is fancy see the HP Envy Line, same aluminum unibody... latest hardware... ends up costing you less 2000 euros for the top of the range model... and you get something that's running this-year hardware T_T (and has the same style as the mac)

7. kingosticks

kingosticks What's a Dremel?

I don't think it's fair to compare a 2006 (at best) device to a 2009/2010 device in those terms.

8. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I think you need to read up on some things, it is blatantly obvious that you have ABSOLUTELY no clue what you are talking about.

9. SaNdCrAwLeR

SaNdCrAwLeR What's a Dremel?

sorry about that, I meant the Macbook Pros... (was put working on a powerbook so the stupid name stayed there)
    anyway, am still comparing the new apple macbook pros to the envy.

on the MS sharehold place in Apple? check up on it, it's public knowledge, about the apple hardware? yes I got the names switched, meant the Macbook Pros...

but to go with that, look at the iPhone 4... 1400€ unlocked, same hardware as a samsung galaxy S (which costs less than half of that unlocked)

even the 3GS is 800€ and is an utter amount of crap for what you get... I buy a 200€ smartphone with the equivalent hardware but with a decent OS...

(note, I've developed for iOS... anyone who has developed for it knows that it's a total headache to work with...)

10. Boogle

Boogle What's a Dremel?

/in Crysis suit voice:

'Maximum Profit'

11. line2008

line2008 What is this "dremel" you speak of?

lol thought exactly the same thing when i read maximum profit lmao

12. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Why are you going on about Apple? Have they developed this? Are they partners in this developement?

This is actually something that would be useful and a huge step forward. Unfortunately, I can't see how you can wrap a shiny surface around it and charge four times more than what you should be paying for it. So Apple won't be releasing this any time soon. Thank God!

13. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Its partially true about MS having shares of Apple but what it actually is, is Bill Gates not his company MS that has the shares and its less then 50%, this way its not considered a monopoly and started in the mid 80s when Apple almost went belly up but at the time MS was making most of Apples software so needed them to stay a float while they expanded on their windows OS in Japan so they bought around a quarter of the company, then they bought more again in the 90s when Apple almost went belly up again. Anyhow all interesting stuff but ya Apple doesnt do anything they just wait to copy/steal others and then make it come off as if it was their own.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2010
  14. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Obvious troll is obvious

15. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

It's a step toward the user interface hypothesized in minority report... Are Microsoft waiting for a holographic screen to be developed, ie an application for this technology/patent...?

16. Molajoku

Molajoku What's a Dremel?

"This is all great, and R&D should of course go on, but while they're farting about with this stuff Apple are, well, releasing products."
    "Microsoft take fancy new tech and turn it into mediocre products. Apple takes mediocre tech and turns it into fancy new products."

HAHAHAHHA apples new marketing strategy. Troll forums and news articles to spread propaganda.

Apple are a massive wet hanky full of ****.

17. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

Going back to microsoft and the actual content of this news. I think the tech seems very cool but I have yet to see any thought about how it would be used day-to-day. Everytime I have seen demos the people are always standing. How would they transfer this to a living room setting where most of your time is spent sitting. Would you want to be hunched over a coffee table all night. Also the remote control was invented so we didn't have to get up from the sofa to change channels, now they expect us to stand and move movies etc around the room.
    The upside to this is imagine the scope for schools.

18. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

This looks a lot more fun than kinect/natal.

19. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I don't understand the criticism.

Microsoft made a lot of noise about their "surface" thing, which looked interesting, but it's barely even a product. Now they're making more fuss about something new - which makes me think, well, what's the point of getting excited, will I ever actually be able to get hold of one of these things and use it? I'm no Apple apologist, I think their stuff is overpriced style over substance, but it's hard to deny that they've got some interesting UI ideas that they've brough to the mass market.

20. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I couldn't watch the video because I needed a plugin, probably Silverlight, but isn't this just a baby step forward from what G-Speak has been doing for about four years?

Tags: Add Tags