1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Happy Fun Time with Cyberlink!

Discussion in 'Software' started by boiled_elephant, 10 Aug 2010.

1. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

ok 1 reload later, with all updates, and cyberlink powerdvd 10 ultra installed, still crashing to desktop.

event viewer shows cyberlink rich video service error. The Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS) service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly. the file this relates too seems to be missing.

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

ok latest update, they sent me 2 links for powerdvd 9 and upgrade powerdvd 10

power dvd 9 works ok on bluray, but powerdvd 10 still crashes to desktop, on bluray playback.

so just waiting to see what they say now

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I'm onto Samsung now:

4. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Ooo you know thats gona make them wince.... :D

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I bet it doesn't. I bet they just fob you off with stories of how the drive is only designed for making backups to Blu-ray data discs, not playing Blu-ray movies. Or some other similar ********.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

one thing i can say, is i am impressed with xfx customer support, even now they send me a messege asking how i'm getting on,.

7. boiled_elephant

Even better than that:

The tone of this reply is all kinds of weird and I don't like it. I'm about to move house today, so I can't reinstall it to try again yet, but I don't know what I'm going to tell him anyway. It just...crashes. Constantly. Under Windows 7.

8. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Use FRAPS and upload it to YouTube? Show them exactly what happens. Link to this thread to show everything you've tried to fix it?

9. omicron

omicron Baud.

Holy **** Jerome, are you still having problems?

10. boiled_elephant

Golly, I'd forgotten about this, with moving house and starting uni again and all.

Brb, attempting reinstall of powerdvd suite on fresh win7 installation.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i did a fresh install of win 7 , got blu-ray working on powerdvd 9, did the update, still working, did upgrade to 10, stopped working.

i am using powerdvd 9 ok now, but 10 still refuses to run with blu-ray

12. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

i have used powerdvd to play blu rays and it always changes the aero desktop to basic before playing, but i have had to update the program twice now and the file size isnt small. but it plays my blu ray and hd dvd well now, although i did have a problem first with the hdcp compliant device then i got a new tv and it was ok, then i had a problem with playing through hdmi at 1080 so i got a gt240 1gb graphics card lol now everything is ok it plays them no problem at all now.

13. boiled_elephant

So guess what, after a clean reformat and a reinstallation of the OEM suite only, it works. And all it took was a clean reformat of my entire computer! THAT'S why I pay for my software instead of pirating it. Right, guys? Right?

I am now faced with a dilemma. Samsung are waiting on my response explaining in more detail what the problem is. I'm fairly sure that if I install the two downloadable patches (as dave454 decribes above, and as I did before) it will replicate the problem - but then I'll be left with non-functioning software and another long (and probably fruitless) correspondence with Tech Support. Do I (a) install the patches, breaking my powerdvd suite, and pursue the matter with Samsung tech support or (b) drop the tech support enquiry and keep my powerdvd suite at version 1.0, working?

I almost want to go with (a) just out of principle. It's cost me so much in blood pressure already. But I don't know if I can bear to, now that it's working.

Also, some tangential issues: as dave454 says, PowerDVD8 forces Windows into Basic mode. It also disables all screen capture mechanisms in other software. I am not making this up. If you try and take a screenshot with FRAPS or just the prtsc key, it doesn't work while PowerDVD is running. And there's no capture method inside the program.

I mean, what the ****? Blu-Rays are not classified government material. They're not gold dust. Why the hell would they obstruct screenshotting?

edit (Because I don't want to bump this mess any more without progress):

This amused me
    [​IMG]

C'mon, how many startup items does it take to play a Blu-Ray, I mean really.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

windows 7? use problem steps recorder to record whats going on, useful tool as it records every click, with screen shots, so any error messeges that pop up will also be recorded., it saves to desktop as a zipped file that can be opened in a browser.

even on a clean install on my system power dvd 10 isn't working with bluray :s, so for the time being i am stuck with 9

15. GW42

GW42 What's a Dremel?

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have to vent somewhere and this came up during my google wanderings try to sort it.

I've just also wasted a few hours of my life with cyberlink - the blu-ray suite that came with my samsung drive would kill windows. That's right - after installing this pile of **** software, windows wouldn't start and the only option was a system restore. This was everytime it was installed, not just a one off.

The software would work and play blu-rays, just as long as you didn't take it up on the offer of a reboot after the installer finished. So it was functional, just a minor inconvenience that if you ever wanted to do something completely unreasonable like turn off your pc or reboot, then it would kill Windows! :duh:

Eventually I've got it working by installing and then immediately uninstalling everything else installed in the bundle other than PowerDVD9. Christ, if they just gave you the option of only installing what you wanted in the first place ?? That would also have the added bonus that maybe the install time wouldn't feel like an ice age has been and gone.

/rage

16. boiled_elephant

I've been picking this up again recently. Here's my long-awaited follow-up email to Samsung, in reply to the earlier stand-offish request for further details:

Subsequent to this, I tried the good ol' patches described previously, and by three or four other people in this thread. Sure enough, after installing the first (183MB!) patch, I try to play a disc that previously worked and get this again:

[​IMG]

The disc worked before! Why does a 183MB patch make my media player PLAY LESS MEDIA?!

Oh well, better download the next patch in this endless round. Watch this space.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have a look here and see if this helps