1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education I want to get into wetshaving [Update: I got into it]

Discussion in 'General' started by DragunovHUN, 4 Oct 2010.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well, this one took surprizingly long to derail.

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Too much tug and pull, I prefer the axe

3. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

Sorry for not continuing with off topic posts ;)

[​IMG]
    Merkur Heavy Duty Double Edge Safety Razor (34C)

[​IMG]
    Feather Razor Blades

[​IMG]

Edwin Jagger Super Badger Shaving Brush

[​IMG]
    Taylors of Old Bond St Avocado

[​IMG]
    Anthony Logistics Astringent After Shave

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I was actually going for the 34C myself, but aren't Feather blades like stupidly sharp?

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Isn't that the entire point? :D

6. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

no pun intended? :dremel:

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Wow, some of you guys go to a lot of effort & expense.

Gillette Fusion Power razer here, plus the Gillette gel-in-a-can works fine for my face and head. I have fairly sensitive skin so I get a lot of irritation after a shave, but when I shower straight after a shave I'm fine.

8. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

A lot of good info here and I've been considering the same. Recently, I've been using Gillette Fusion but get irritated as all hell and the price of new blades makes me want to never shave again.

I have been reading reviews/watching videos and things about straight blade and thinking of just making that jump. The thought of just buying the blade and being able to keep sharpening it sounds great to me.

9. spaceman1

spaceman1 What's a Dremel?

Have a shave in a mans barbers using a cut throat razor first time you try it your butt will make buttons best shave you will ever have

10. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i always had a lot of irritation on my skin when using those gillette turbo super mega 9 blade power of grey skull 1337 edtion razors,

and the replacement blades are such a rip off for example Gillette Fusion Manual Blades - 8 Pack - £14.99, where you can get 50 feather razor blades for £12.99.

11. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Pro-tip: exploit Gilette's terrible PR department.

I've been getting "Happy 18th, Now Look Like a Man!" gift boxes from Gilette for four years now. And not one of them has been within 30 days of my birthday, nor have they been a year apart. Point of fact: I've recieved five razors (along with replacement blades) in four years. I don't know how they got my address or even a rough estimate on my age, but I'm not complaining. Never purchased a single shaving product in my life because of them, saved me a fair deal of money.

The most recent pack had a fairly decent smelling shampoo sample as well, but it was pretty terrible at actually cleaning my hair.

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Well, thanks to this thread, I decided to revise my shaving system.

Previously a Gilette Mach 3. It was never too comfortable, and I always got a rather irritating rash on the under side of my jaw. Something I recently learned is called "Razor burn".

After much deliberation - And research - I went out and invested in the appropriate equipment to shave with, and maintain, a straight razor. I considered a safety razor, but it appealed less, and I'd like to be happy with my shaving, even if it takes a bit more work.

Tonight was my first shave with a straight razor - And despite not doing it the way someone on SRP suggests (I only read their thread after I shaved, and in fact, only found the site after I'd shaved, so..). I went for a full shave, and of course, my face has yet to get entirely used to it, so it was a touch red after the second pass, which I understand, is normal.

All I can say is: Holy. Freaking. Awesome.

It felt instantly better using a brush, and an awesome little bowl, to whip up the lather (Taylor of old Bond Street almond scented shaving cream) and apply it (After some hot water) than any other shaving foam/gel I've used before. It was great fun, too.

Of course, there were a few moments where I umm'd and err'd as to which way to hold the blade (The chin was the most.. interesting), but all in all, it went well. I did notice a trace of blood where I wiped the cream and cut hair off, but I've not found any cuts to speak of (I did buy a styptic stick as per smashies suggestion in this thread, though).

Felt weird doing two passes, but totally worth it. I did, though, want to eat the almond scented shaving cream. That was pretty tasty smelling.

And oh my god, first experience with aftershave - No one told me that it smelled so darned nice! I'm using D R Harris sensitive (Owing to the theory that I may suffer razor burn with a straight razor too) aftershave milk. It's not got alcohol in it, so while there was a tingle, there was no "OHMYCHRIST" feeling. Smells bloody good, though.

All in all: Many pro tips in this thread. Using something other than that Mach 3 piece of crap (Which, by the way, needed a cartridge a shave to not feel like it was shredding my face) - And did I mention, something so utterly manly - Is an excellent choice.

Cheers, Chaps.

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Cool, dude. I wouldn't even consider a straight razor because i've been convinced by the interwebz that i'm guaranteed to skin myself with it.

14. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

Great that you are enjoying wet shaving. Going from carts to a straight is a hell of a jump. As you said, your face is going to take a few shaves to get used to it. Worth it? Oh aye!!
    Just go slow, change only one thing at a time and have lot of time and money to learn how to maintain your straight. I would love to use a straight but I just don't have the time to learn to hone and strop properly.

One day I will use a straight, until then, I'll stick to my DE.
    Safe shaving ;->

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Haha, yeah, I did spend a lot of the time thinking "Aaanny moment now I'm going to need stitches", but following the whole 'very little pressure, slow strokes' theory I got through it without any. This time!

I did spend an unusual amount of time watching other men shave with a straight on youtube, to see how it flowed.

Yeah, I agree with the guys on SRP, there should be a transition time. But frankly, I don't fancy burning another fiver on carts for no good reason, and didn't think about it until after I'd shaved and read the forum.

I do need to work on my stropping technique, though, as I found myself accidentally turning on the blade and not the spine a couple of times. Fortunately I've not had to work on honing yet - I am chewing through about 90 minutes of youtube footage as to honing technique.

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Gotta think of something myself as the Fusion power whateverthehellwithdozensofblades leaves an annoying feel and it's starting to seem like to look like a human, I'd really have to start shaving every morning (have been every other or so, so a bit of irritation hasn't been a huge problem). Good timing on this thread, then :)

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well, guys, i've been wetshaving for a few weeks now, and IT'S AWESOME! I haven't even cut myself yet! I'm having some difficulties reaching under my nose, and i'm not as brave on the chin area as i used to be with the plastic garbage, but i'm getting there.

18. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

great to hear that you are having fun with it ;-> It should get easier and better the more you do it (ooeer missus)...

TTFN

19. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I always used to cut myself in that area but then I grew a goatee - I haven't cut myself shaving in nearly 10 years now. Of course, now that I've said that I'm going to end up skinning my face some time this week :(

20. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

i use a gillette mach 3 ultra, nivea shaving gel for sensitive skin and nivea after shave balm...

I can get pretty good mileage out of a single blade, i roughly go through 3 blades a month.

shaving against the hair is a bad bad habit and sometime people dont even realize they are doing it, especially under the chin, you still need to shave with an downwards motion no matter how tempted you to shave upwards.

I have thick stubble, and shaving in the shower is a perfect, just get a shower mirror and you're good to go, the steam and moisture softens the hair and opens the pores so its an less irritable experience...

DO NOT use aftershave, its primarily alcohol and it just dries out your skin and in my case makes the shaven area brun and go red. The nivea shaving balm is like a moisturizing lotion and really does help with irritation...