1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Newbie overclocking i3 530

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hotnikkelz, 6 Oct 2010.

1. hotnikkelz

hotnikkelz What's a Dremel?

Ok guys, I've got my rig set up with an H55M UD2H board, Gelid tranquillo. My CPU temp is at 32 celcius. I'd like to overclock it as much as possible with stock voltages and that's it.

Any guidance from the top, will be appreciated because I have no idea what I'm doing :)

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

3. hotnikkelz

Read through that guide, but I'm really really new at this. The hardware i.e the RAM is different, so I didn't know how to tinker with it.

the RAM I'm using is a Corsair CL9 1600. My Bios configured it to run at 1333mhz, with 9 9 9 24 timings (factory timings in other words)

I have no idea what precautions I should take, should i just jump right into it, should I just put in the settings in the pictures. I dunno :/ Also i'd like to not fiddle with the voltages.

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The latest issue of CPC also has a guide of how to overclock.

5. hotnikkelz

I'm from the Caribbean, Trinidad to be precise, I won't be able to get my hands on CPC unless they sell digital copies, in which case I'd love to buy it

6. trig

trig god's little mistake

wasnt able to get much out of mine on stock volts without stability issues. think i got about 300 mhz on it stable (again, stock volts)...not sure what ur board bios is like, but adjust ur ram ratio to keep it running lower freq than stock, keep ur qpi ratio adjusted to keep that lower than stock as well, and just hit the cpu freq setting for 10-20 a pop till you hit a wall, then back it off a bit and see what you can get out of ur ram (prolly not much on stock volts).

but really, the performance increase vs the headache of trying to get a stable oc isnt worth it if ur trying to keep it on stock volts imho...

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

8. hotnikkelz

Finger66
    I bought the issue, didn't have anything with overclocking :/ *sigh*

Trig:
    Got you, seems like I have no choice then. Your instructions were to intermediate for me though :)

ANyway, i jumped right into it, will post results when I'm done :D

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The article on how to build a gaming PC has the overclocking bits on page 115 of the hard copy magazine (not sure if the page numbers are the same in the digital version).

In that article, they overclock an Intel G6950 on a Gigabyte P55M-UD2 - this should be almost the exact same process as your i3 530 and H55M-UD2H - the BIOS settings should be almost identical.

Take it slow and raise the clock in small increments.

10. hotnikkelz

Ok, I got it up to 4.00 Ghz right now (which is what I wanted), and it's been running on prime95 stable for the last 6 hours. How long should i keep that up for? Can it be considered stable at this point?

I did some minimal voltage increases to the VRAM, QPI/VTT, Vcore . My core voltage is around 1.38 iirc (not by pc at the moment). This is less than half the value I see in the pictures which bit-tech staff posted (link above). I'm wondering if this is good or bad.
    CPU temp hovers around 40 something.

11. hotnikkelz

Ok results, I'm pleased. Thanks for the help :)

[​IMG]

12. trig

trig god's little mistake

good results...i got to 4.4 before i had issues, and had to back off to 4.2 to get temps bearable, but still much higher than yours (stock heatsink). lower volts is good. it's not less than half, they hit 1.4, so ur only .02 below them.

13. hotnikkelz

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

If you read the comments (numbers 11 & 12) to that article, Bindibadgi replies that CPU-Z is reading the voltage wrong...

Last edited: 8 Oct 2010
  15. hotnikkelz

aaahhh ok, that makes sense, silly cpu z :)