1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Job interview apprehension

Discussion in 'General' started by Gunsmith, 20 Sep 2010.

1. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Grats m8!

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Sounds like it couldn't haeve gone much better. My impression is that in these industries people are a lot more interested in you as a person rather than any qualifications and I bet that they got a really good impression of you there.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

You. Lucky. B*stard! :D

4. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

oh god yeah the setup was insane, g27 with a custom made carbon fibre f1 wheel mounted on a sparco bucket seat that sat atop of 4 hydraulic jacks that gave force feed back through everything, turn left, it swings right etc.

awesome.

5. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

'Grats, Gunny
    Clearly they are very interested in you, and the second interview is as good as it could be at this point.

Go make BT proud!

6. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Guys, I am hijacking this thread, and driving it down to London.

So, in my constant efforts to get my ass into journalism, I applied to PC Pro as a Reviews Writer recently. And I just got mail back. I have an interview next week.

So, yeah. Nervousity beckons.

Anyone fancy giving me a lift / paying for trains? :3

Also: ARGH NERVOUS JOB INTERVIEW WHAT IF I GO CRAZY AND SHOOT MILK INTO THEIR EYES?!

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i see your hijacking and raise you the chef.

[​IMG]

8. sleepygamer

Hey! Stop hijacking this hijack!

Anyone got interview advice? I think I generally do well. Should I prepare copies of stuff I have already done, maybe?

9. Jangafress

Jangafress What's a Dremel?

woah well done. so cool man I would love to do this kind of thing when im older but im only 15 :( lets us know how the interview goes. Good luck dude!

10. sleepygamer

Re-jacking this thread to say I have the interview tomorrow and am positively excreting myself.

And I have the toothache from hell.

So, up early, shower, into Leeds, McDonald's breakfast, onto train, into London, chill for hours, interview, have food, chill for more hours, get train to Leeds, get home, sleep.

It sounds so easy when you ditch the important bits.

11. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

The only advice I can offer is just be yourself, be confident, make it clear to them that you want the job and that you want to work there. Has worked for me several times.

Makesure your open, never answer a question with a closed answer (I suspect you know this) even if it's a close question turn it round the other way, rxplain why you've answered that way, but one lesson I have learned is give a straight answer to a straight question, DON'T be like a politician and answer it with a question of your own.

sleepygamer likes this.
  12. sleepygamer

Thanks for the advice man. I'm hoping it all goes well. I need to charge my phone as I promised that I would update my facebook all day and take videos of what the hell I am doing.

I think I am pretty good in interviews, but I have fairly under control ADHD. When I get nervous I tend to lose concentration or fidget a lot. Last time I had an interview of this type, I was given time to analyse and review something in about 500 words. I panicked so much that I had to spend 5 minutes of my time just breathing to calm down. Luckily the second interview was much better.

I think it's the suits. I don't feel comfortable in suits. The material is too stiff and light, and the jacket feels uncomfortable, and I never got used to wearing ties. And the shoes. The shoes give my feet blisters. Extra thick socks tomorrow, I think.

Final question: Black suit... do I go with my light blue shirt, or do I look hardcore and go for the black one with the pinstripes? Dark blue and black tie.

13. Behemoth

Wear the one you feel most comfortable in, but turn up like you want the job. I know your not going to turn up in jeans and t-shirt. If your going to be wearing it all day is there anyway you can at least store the jacket and wear something else over your shirt because the last thing you want is to get it dirty.

14. sleepygamer

Of course. I have my suit bag to keep the jacket in, and I'll be wearing my hoodie and trainers most of the day. I'll be doing the switch about 20 minutes before I wander down to the building. I know for a fact there is a nice Italian Deli pretty close, and a KFC right next to Goodge Street station exit. I must keep my will strong!

I might end up just eating at the Deli and sitting out there with headphones on for an hour or two, depending on the weather. I have a book, a couple of magazines and so on.

But I definitely make the effort. At all job interviews I hide or remove my piercings, and scrub up good. Which reminds me, I have to switch out my septum to the barbell, easier to hide. :D

15. sleepygamer

Okay, so I had the interview, and I think it went well. I battled a toothache all day, played videogames and ate food, had the interview, met with a friend, played DDR, went home.

I think it went well overall. They kept the 3 or 4 pieces of review I had done to have a look over and stuff, and the interview process was pretty easy. I got along well!

Here's hoping for part 2!

16. Behemoth

All the best mate, all I can say is you did well for it to go that far and it would be nice if you could go further, but even if you don't its one interview you wouldn't have had if you hadn't applied for it.

17. sleepygamer

Tru dat. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure I'll get the second interview, as cocky as that sounds. I'm sure saying that will make it come back and bite me in the arse, though. I find out next week.

I am gonna be pacing around and worrying all weekend now.

18. Behemoth

Ha, just be warned that companies never call you back when they say you will. I've just learnt that one my self this last week. I've had two very big interviews for consumer direct, and they took ages to let me know about getting to the second stage, and it was nearly two weeks after that which I had the second interview.

They promised I'd know one way or the other this Tuesday gone, and well by the time you read this I expect it's Monday so almost a week and not heard anything. Chasing the company isn't the best thing to do either, I remember the last time I did that the company I was waiting to hear back from rejected my application.

Hopefully for you though Codemasters will stick to their word and get in touch soon, I hate that feeling of being stuck in Limbo, its like its next to impossible to move on with life and do other things. Everytime I heard my phone go off last week I was jumpy as anything.

19. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

sleepy's hijacked my thread, hes not going to CM, i am.

20. October

October Mariachi Style

Does that "i am" imply progress?

Also lame hijack is lame, that's what the create new thread button is for yo :rolleyes: