1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Kernel Problems

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Allspark, 10 Oct 2010.

1. Allspark

Allspark What's a Dremel?

Hi all my mates pc has stsrted showing the following message on start up " Kernel is missing or corrupt" How do i go about fixing the problem or can it not be fixed. Thanks

2. SouperAndy

SouperAndy To Bumble or not to Bumble?

Seems odd that multiple systems have been affected at the same time... Sounds like a virus to me if you've been sharing data via USB sticks, etc

What OS is being used? If a Windows variant, were all installations 'legit'? Not questioning anybodies ethics, but if all 'shared' the same installation disk, it could indicate a corrupt ISO image.

Cheers,

SouperAndy :worried:

3. Allspark

I very much dought he has been sharing data via USB as i dont think he would know how to, he just uses the pc for gaming. The pc is running Windows Vista 32 bit, it is a genuine copy that was only used on his machine. Thanks

4. Allspark

Anyone any ideas how to fix this ?

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

install the windows disk, fix problems that are preventing your computer from booting ?

6. SouperAndy

SouperAndy To Bumble or not to Bumble?

Riiiiiight, okay.

Sorry, but when you said 'all my mates pc', I assumed you were saying that you had multiple friends that suddenly all suffered ths same issue. That's why it looked like a virus problem.

It sounds like your mate isn't that knowledgable in computing, if your inference that he doesn't know how to use a USB device is accurate.

I would say to place the Vista installation disk in the DVD drive. Then make the system boot from the DVD drive.

If the system is not configured to boot from the DVD drive, you will have to change this...

Usually, this is either accomplished by entering the BIOS and changing the boot order from Hard Drive to the DVD drive.

However if you're lucky, you can just press a key during boot (usually F11) that will bring up a menu so you can choose the boot device.

This will boot from the Vista installation disk and you can then attempt a repair of the installation to reset the kernal.

Cheers,

SouperAndy :worried: