1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! I hate my life!!!

So the good news is that CBT isn't required to ride a 125 on the road in Northern Ireland.

The bad news is that there is no Direct Access test here, so I'll be stuck on a 250 until I'm 33...

In my mind that leaves only one option...a restrictor kit - Is there anything I should know? Would it effect insurance cost for example?

2. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I believe that the general consensus is that restrictor kits suck, badly. You end up with a heavy bike with much less power than it was designed for. Also, many insurance companies dont reduce the premium when you have a restrictor kit installed because they're so easy to remove.

Moriquendi

3. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I was at lights today ready to get on a freeway and a yamaha r1 pulled up next to me, the guy gave me a nod, and was off, same style color, gold wheels, was awnsome

Quite funny,

4. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Does anyone know any chopper builders in the UK? I'm tempted to get a chopper built but want to get a quote or two first :p

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Meh, restrictor kits are used widely in Germany as we have a <25KW clause for the first two years.
    If the kit is done well, it works well. On most modern Bikes, the mapping is altered according to the restrictorkit, then they function well.

"Cheaper" kits, that simply keep you from opening the throttle over xx% or only lessen the diameter of the intake usually don't perform that well.

Honda used to go out of it's way and change the camshaft. The restricted CB450S had more torque than the open one :D

In short, if you get a restricted diameter of intake in combination with an alternate mapping, you should be fine.

Well, i've come to think of it this way: if I'd wanted something that just-always-works...i could get a golf :D
    Also, you've always got some adventure-stories to tell!

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Sep 2010
  6. Scorpsel

Scorpsel Imaginary Time

Does this also apply to people over 25? I'll be getting my license in France soon, and since I'm old enough it's unrestricted right away. Now when I move to Germany next year, will I have to go back to 25kW?

I guess I could just keep my french license as it's EU..

In other news, I got to do a lesson on a 2-cylinder yesterday (usually on a yam xj6). I'm in love! :D

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

You have an XJ6? Pics or it's a lie! :D

8. Scorpsel

Scorpsel Imaginary Time

I wish. The school has XJ6's ;) Still working on the license..

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Hehehe, fell in love with that bike. Really want one.... hopefully my lotto tickets works tonight :D

10. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

sigh, my xj6 diversion got knocked over by a woman parking... against the direction of the side stand... done quite a bit of damage :( also she ****ing left it as well, luckily for me there was a witness :) hopefully the police will sort it out, really don't want to go through my insurance, it just aint worth it for the damage thats been done, its enough for me to be bothered to try and find the person, not enough to risk my no claims, etc on

11. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

Damn, I haven't seen one of those in years!
    Great bikes!

12. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

I get that all the time. I even had a guy drive past, when I was down the jet wash, turn round and come back just to tell me that his mate had an RD back in the day.

I get to see a lot of these bikes being the mag editor for the LC Club. :thumb:

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Firstly...the XJ6 is a 4 cylinder :D
    secondly, don't know how the French legislation is, but if they give you an unrestricted license, it's unrestricted in Germany too.

14. Scorpsel

Scorpsel Imaginary Time

I know. :p The twin was a GS500, I just meant my only comparison is the XJ6. The GS wins. Sorry NaloaC!

That's cool about the license. I don't intend to start on a 100hp bike anyway, but it's nice to not have to worry about restrictions..

I heard something about some insurances in Germany are pretty strict about the gear you wear. True or not? Need to know if I have to put money aside to get new stuff.. :blah:

15. Xir

Xir Modder

Nope...you're obliged to wear a certified helmet, that's it.
    You insure your bike, and have to have any changes (apart from luggageracks) registered, otherwise your registration is void, and thus your insurance.
    So, if you buy an aftermarket exhaust for instance, it either has a piece of paper with it that you carry around all the time, or you get it registered in the bike's registration.
    However none of this information goes to your insurance, and they don't care.
    Insurance in Germany is based on power and place of registration*, not aftermarket parts or rider gear.
    Hence you see next to none of your typical english FLASH-YELLOW-BIKOOORZ.
    Standart gear here is neon-black :D

*Okay, so a more powerful bike is generally more expensive (depending on the average amount of yearly accidents with this bike)
    If you register your bike in a place were more bikes are stolen, the insurance is up a bit versus somewhere with no crime-rate.
    There are no obligaitions, nor bonusses for having more locks than the bikes original ones. No obligation nor bonusses for alarms/immobilizers/attached no. of pittbulls... well pitbulls are illegal, anyway :D
    The same goes for cars. In other words, the insurances are pretty simple here.:thumb:

16. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

so i had a interesting experience the other night. i was riding along at around 70mph after leaving the gym when something slapped my right ankle. i didn't see anything in the road that could have been kicked up and hit me so i got off at the next exit to give my bike a going over and the second i got off i knew what was wrong.

[​IMG]

the faring came off. but it didn't just pop loose and come off it snapped in 7 different places and came off.

i was able to go back and collect my broken bits but it was beyond saving.

[​IMG]

bunjied them to the back and took the side streets the rest of the way home

[​IMG]

in that pic you can see that a large chunk is missing from the top right.

i am now looking at street fighting this bike because i don't want to spend the money on new plastics.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Wow...hard luck.
    If it's just the one side, a used fairing from ebay or the likes might be cheaper than a headlight for a fighter-conversion though.
    Pricewise, nothing beats a can of spray-paint-black and going the way of the rat. :D

18. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

well both sides and the front need to be replaced. it was dumped and i got it for very very cheep cuz the guy was scared to ever get back on it. apart from a carb job and the cosmetics nothing wrong with the bike.

and new / used plastic for a 90 cbr600f is next to impossible to find for any kind of a low price.

just for fun my buddy who works at honda is checking on how much new plastics from them would be with hes discount.

19. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Fantastic ride in the autumn sun yesterday.

[​IMG]

20. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

DAMN, Nice bike,

My bike was ment to have a free service at 500 miles, I'm currently on 929 this isn't good, I'm just too busy!!

Would you find it boring to ride around with 125 biker? as his bikes allot slower then yours?