1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Habey launches Ion 2 mini-ITX motherboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 11 Oct 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Will you review it?

Available through Amazon directly from Habey for $329.90. If it performs... But I can already see the price translating to £280 and 330 Euros. :(

3. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

The first ION had no problems handling 1080P video, I do it all the time as long as your using something that takes advantage of the nvidia gpu, no the real downfall to these little potential HTPC is when you try to use them to rip and encode a movie lol good luck with that, you will be waiting for days lol, best to rip and encode with a beefier rig and then copy it over. Next dedicated HTPC will use a full blown CPU not the atom.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

does anyone else notice the massive design flaw in this? by itself, its about as thin as some laptops, but i don't think habey realized that they really just wasted their time with making it thin. just about anything you plug into the board, including a hard drive, is going to stick out above it; none of the ports are angled 90 degrees. i'd rather just add another inch or 2 to get a better cooler and more rear ports.

i like the idea of a board as slim as this, but not if you're going to screw up the entire purpose of making it as thin as it is. due to this design, you HAVE to have a fatter case to put it in, which makes the board's slim design pointless.

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

The board probably comes with angled SATA cables - I know my Zotac board did plus the front of the board is most likely going to lay beneath an optical drive or hard disk bay and this area is very flat thanks to the GPU cooler. It's only the motherboard ATX power connector that will stick up more than an inch but most ITX cases I know allow for this.

6. Otacon

Otacon What's a Dremel?

I'm still convinced we need a newer ATX power connector standard that is smaller to claim back some space on mini-ITX motherboards so that can still use a proper power supply and not an external brick. Right now the 24 pin connector is totally out of proportion with the rest of the board.

Even if you had to use an adapter to shink an existing 24 pin down to a smaller sized on it would still free up board space.

7. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

If they ditch the Atom for a Nano 3000 then I might be interested.

8. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

agreed, a more compact low profile style connector would be nice to see

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Sorry, but:
    Duh! :p

If I ever upgrade I might give ION a shot. It's everything I'd need right now as I'm not gaming on my PC at the moment: small, low power, fast enough to watch HD stuff. And with hardware acceleration for Flash the last big hurdle is gone as well. Then again, what are Youtube downloaders there for, eh? ;)

10. Bob1234

Bob1234 What's a Dremel?

Some sort of smaller high density connector would probably do, although I suspect the problem comes down to the required thickness of the wires.

If you make the connector smaller, youd need to make the wires thinner, and as a result, they would get hotter when in use.

Using a 24 way post block, like the USB/firewire/audio headers, might work as it could still be easily keyed and would probably be about half the size.

Tags: Add Tags