1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Minecraft

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by wst, 23 Sep 2010.

1. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I agree with Draksis.

I didn't think this game would appeal to me, but seeing as how many of you fellow bit-techers seemed to love it I took a chance and bought it. A move I have not regretted. I've been looking for an engaging game that I could play in the living room at our shared laptop without having to retreat to my computer room downstairs for my daily gaming fill, and this one hit the spot precisely. The possibilities for what you can do in-game are endless, and I find I don't miss the "combat" or damage from SP, but rather relish in the oportunity for construction and mining. Working within the limitations of erecting structures using 1x1x1 blocks makes for interesting challenges, and it's amazing to see the level of creative genious this game can, and will, inspire in dedicated players. Also, the fact that bit-techers will respect eachother (mostly) and refrain from griefing makes the whole thing even more enjoyable. However, yesterday I noticed that someone had committed an atrocity; someone had griefed the sign of Relix and changed it to read Felix! An act which must be punished severely! I suggest public flogging.

2. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I never even clocked that it said Felix, but I did look at it a bit confused.

I got one of the houses, I live underwater.

3. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

"We found a witch! May we burn her?!" :D

I say throw them in a giant lava pit!

4. wst

wst Minimodder

Coulda been me, depends what they were building.

5. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

robots; have you found slimes yet? or any records dropped by creepers, until then the game is incomplete for me.

what i am really waiting for is online damage and minecarts, then a massive city can be built with interconnecting cart systems, mods that will be something like a swarm / army of mobs come to attack your base and we have to defend them off, imagine 100's of zombies and spiders as the 'shield' behind them creepers and the arrow shooting skeletons at the rear, increase their range, and we have a battle on our hands. Make the creepers blow up when they hit the walls of your castle and you have zombies rushing through your town. Sure it will get destroyed but isnt that the fun?

6. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

^ Idea of helms deep being made on our server :p

7. nukeman8

nukeman8 What's a Dremel?

and thus Stickeh proclaims his 10th commandment, let there be such a land and may we name it heaven.

sorry was in a random mood :D

8. Stickeh

And i will ride into battle with my saddle strewn swine!

9. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

While you can't build mine carts yet, you can build canals and little wooden boats.

A few stations with chests/store of boats to link it all and it should be faster than walking. Also, I'm pretty sure a tube with water in it would act as a rapid (all be it wet) elevator, while a waterfall would allow you to descend. If you can't use buckets to flood a new system, (I can't remember if it was bugged) the server op can summon water blocks with the /give command.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

You can also get a boat to go uphill at a slight angle if you're clever. ;)

You don't travel as quickly uphill since you'll be against the current, but it can help save some time/effort when you can't be bothered with digging a canal through some land you need to cross.

11. Stickeh

You can go up waterfalls in boats easy i have made a few watervators :)

12. wst

wst Minimodder

There's a great one near spawn.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Can't say I've even tried going straight up in a boat before.

You mean like those solid 3x3 tubes of water straight down into mines? Put a boat in at the bottom and it'll float back to the top or something?

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

That first one is what I was picturing. Never tried putting a boat underwater before... certainly an interesting result. Certainly didn't think of automatically returning the boat either!

What I made in my world about climbing slopes in a boat was two walls three blocks apart. By placing water along the inside of the walls and steadily increasing the height you end up with a stream that a boat can climb. The width isn't a strict requirement, and required depth is just enough to make sure your boat never snags the bottom. 1 brick wide is a bit tough to enter without shattering your boat, 2 brick wide is better but still leaves room for error. 3 brick wide makes the water drop in the middle so you can just hold W and the water will force you to go straight. It also keeps you in a straight path when going back down. Not an effective way to go strictly up, but it will let you get up onto the shore and cross land in one seemless cruise.

16. wst

wst Minimodder

The near-spawn watervator is a big hole with a waterfall down one side and a pool at the bottom. You jump down and freefall into the pool to go down. You get into a boat and use the waterfall to go back up. When you get out of your boat at the top (takes a few attempts to get the hang of the dismount), push it back down the hole. It'll land in the pool and float into the waterfall and perpetually go up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down and [DATA EXPUNGED].

17. Stickeh

10 go up
    20 go down
    30 goto 10

if(player.distance()>300){
    disappear(boat)
    }

18. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

What happened to the server? :(

19. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Hey I have plenty of imagination, creativity, and willingness to challenge myself. If you knew what I did for a job you wouldn't even question that. I don't need some glorified Lego world to stretch myself.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. That would make the game so much better. As soon as stuff starts actually attacking your base, then it gives the whole thing some purpose. If you watch X's Adventures in Minecraft on youtube, you see him build an epic base with a battlement on top where you can look down on all the mobs from his kind of sniper tower. It's brilliant. The problem is, there is no point for having all that, and that is why he is getting bored and wants to quit the game. I came to that realisation after playing it for just a couple of days.

As soon as stuff starts attacking though, it would make the whole thing a completely different experience. It would inspire me to build an epic fortress, many layers thick, with a moat around it, perhaps even a second moat of lava, and then I would have guard towers in each corner so I can run up and snipe enemies or something. But at the moment all you need is 2 blocks tall of mud and a wooden door and you are safe forever.

20. Stickeh

Well its only in alpha and still so many people are sinking so many hours into it, when he implements the little goblin villages etc, and more mods are made, which is pretty easy with it being java, it just might take a while!