1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress *** PHINIX NANO TOWER *** --- MOTY 2011 nomination !!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 9 Nov 2009.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

So I guess today it is official, new MOTM nominees are out, so old competition is over.
    I would like to thank all you guys who voted for Nano Tower. I'm happy and honoured that my project was in such a fantastic group of builds, I have to say it was hard to vote, cause they all were amazing. Congratulations to all !!!
    Now, I'm going to read about our new nominees:thumb:

2. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Gratz! Well deserved :thumb:

3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Freggin awesome work

4. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

You won by having the right stuff at the right time. It's a wonderful design and you've worked you butt off on it for quite sometime now. I hope you do another. It's been a pleasure getting to chat with you and watching :D

5. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Congrats mate :D.

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks!

Thank you very much!:)

Cheers my friend! Don't worry, there will be another project, but shhhh, first my Tower needs to "rise from ashes" ;) I am planning something extraordinary again, next year...

Thanks my friend! I'm glad you liked it:thumb:

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Alrighty.. Tom from ChilledPC confirmed that he will work on my last banch of items, so that means I really amy get them all tomorrow - that would mean a HUGE update! And really good one, cause if I get all the pieces I will show you the fornt panel! YAY!:) This will be a huge thing, I really would like to see it myself how it looks in real life, not just in sketchup planning.
    Well, we'll see.
    Last weekend I worked a bit on the Tower as well, its just wasn't worth to show. I did some small works on it, like file down a bit two of the main frame columns, cause I have noticed that Tower were a bit not aligned, also worked on aliging side panels and fixing the whole power chamber. So some things has been done and hopefully this weekend I will do some more so I would be able to show bigger update.
    It's friday! Weekend is coming, I'm so happy!:)

8. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Nice work with the acrylic :thumb:, and congrats on winning MOTM :D

9. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

Got my CPC through this morning, nice pics in the back. Well done again on winning! Hope you had a good weekend modding!

10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Uuuu I need to buy a copy! :clap:

Unfortunately, I haven't received any packages from ChilledPC, so I didn't do anything:waah:
    I hope next weekend will be more productive...

11. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Guess what.... It's next weekend! I hope you've been more productive! :p

12. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

+1 :D

Gratz on the MOTM!:rock:

13. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Oh yeah, that too. I forgot to mention I voted for you too! :thumb:

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Cheers guys!

Well, It's almost midnight, I said I will update this weekend, so made it anyway;)
    I got two news, bad and good. Let me start from the bad one... :(
    Unfortunately, also this weekend I haven't received anything from ChilledPC, Tom was busy as hell, but he promised he will cut those elements for me this weekend. So hopefully I shall get them tuesday and then will show you some really good stuff!
    Good news is, I did few things again, so I promised you an update and here it is.. just a bit more modest than I wanted:)

So here it is...
    I had to measure and install standoffs for my little mobo, so this weekend I pulled out all psu cables from the mobo at "tried it on" my mobo tray...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see it fits nicely, not too tight or anything:)

To make points for standoffs I used a match and hand cream:)

[​IMG]

Also, here you can see how the pci-e slot goes along the line of power chamber.
    Graphics card will be about 2mm from the panel - I'm not sure if I'm gonna need some kind of isulation, what do you guys think? Should I add something just for precaution?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it should be ok...
    Oh my! But what we have here?! :rolleyes:
    Isn't that a latest issue of CustomPC???

[​IMG]

Well yes it is! And What is on that page there? Hmmm.... YEP! That is Nano Tower! YAY!!!:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hehe...:) Sorry, I just bought a copy today and was so happy to see it inside:blush:

Here is a fantastic prize I got! Quality of this stuff is incredible :jawdrop:
    Well done Bill!

[​IMG]

Again, huge thanks goes to Bit-tech/CustomPC guys and all of you who liked my project and voted for me - THANK YOU ALL :clap:

Now, let's get back to update:)

I had to "trim" two of all four columns in main frame. Why? I noticed a bit difference between them and when I installed acrylic 10mm thick bottom panel I noticed this sucker started to shake a bit. I don't know how I haven't noticed that before, but looks like 0,8mm difference between two columns made a huge impact on stability of the whole Tower.
    10 minutes with file and sand paper put it all down and Tower become stable as a rock:thumb:
    Now even all panels lined up better than before. So it looks really good, almost perfect;)

I love to put on all panels and look on corners, they look so cool:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, I showed you that before - those black acrylic corner shapes for those yellow "combs" I'm going to glue later.
    This one here, rear left has to be modified cause this is the corner where I'm going to cut out long hole for peripherals cables, like graphics card cable, usb, etc.
    That is why I had to use one more screw on the top of it, cuase lower one will be cut off...

[​IMG]

You can see there a big M5 countersink screw. Why M5? Well... how to say it...
    At the beginning it was small M3 hole..
    Then...
    You see...
    I bought myself a nice kit of cone drill bits...:dremel:

[​IMG]

I started to play with it...
    Well... some holes became bigger...
    ...and I had to thread this one again for M5 screw:blush:
    I will paint it black and will be fine!:eyebrow:

Anyway....

This is the corner where you can see I drew the hole that will be cut out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually cut it out few hours ago, fixed that acrylic corner too, but battery in my camera went to sleep so didn't get last photos of it. Will do it on Tuesday.

At the end.. just a few photos of all 4 panels installed on "naked" frame...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..last phoot.. I love that "dramatic" filter in my camera... Tower coming out from the darkness....

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!!! I should have all new stuff in the mid of the week! Cheers for watching and MOD ON!!!:thumb:

Last edited: 25 Oct 2010
  15. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

keep up the awesome work very nice

wolfie

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Looks great phinix! good to see it shaping up so nicely.

17. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

A nice nano motherboard to go with the nano tower :D. This looks epic mate. I can't wait to see what's next.

18. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

Looking awesome man !
    Good to see some progress

19. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

wuuup!!! gratz on 100K views too;) i bet you every single one of them went:jawdrop:

20. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I didn't.

But that's just because I've been hanging around here for faaar too long, so I lost my jaw ages ago, hehe.

However, this mod rocks. So much attention to detail and so different than many other mods.