1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i5-760 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 15 Oct 2010.

1. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Intel Speedstep or whatever they call it now works in this way.

My i7 920 clocks down when it isn't loaded (even though it's overclocked) and this chip should too (assuming to don't switch the features off in the bios).

2. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I'm waiting on Ivy Bridge... :D It should appear in Q4/2011... :p

(Wiki)

3. Zaim

Zaim Minimodder

The review was good but disappointing. why didn't you include the Phenom X6 1055t? its the same price as the I5? you had the i7 in there so don't understand why the X6 from amd isn't there.

4. Nature

Nature Minimodder

Dear Mr. Goodhead,

i5-760
    Speed8/10
    Features9/10
    Value9/10
    Overall9/10

Phenom 2 X4 Black
    Speed7/10
    Features9/10
    Value7/10
    Overall7/10

Why do you round down for one and round up for another?

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

If memory serves, the overall value isn't a rounding of the top three. Different readers and customers may value each of the first three scores differently, some may want the most speed and not care about value as much. Some may be just the opposite. And for any given product there may be features which aren't sufficiently covered by the first three scores. The Overall score is Bit-tech's/the author's perception of the product as a whole. None of the scores are based on a scientifically rigid process. Look at the benchmarks for those types of figures. :)

In the case of the two products you list I'd assume that the i5-760 scored as if it was rounded up because of its overclocking potential. The X4 Black was probably scored lower because even though it's a decent product, there are better options at its price point.

6. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

That's a good spot, we needed a picture for the how we test page and I'd forgotten to take one so I dug up that one in a rush and didn't check it close enough. I've swapped it out now.

We used the latest F11 BIOS for testing, the first thing we did when we found the issue was to check the BIOS was up to date.

7. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

As Sloth points out the Overall mark isn't simply an average of the other three marks. We consider speed and value to be more important than features when it comes to CPUs, hence they tend to have more of a weighting when we discuss the overall score the product should get.

8. mickjc

mickjc What's a Dremel?

@Xir,

"And while there are great overclocking gadgets out there, the software that allows you to say: OC now (4.1 Ghz), I'm gaming, and stop overclocking, I'm going to surf, isn't really around now, is it?"

There is: it's AMD's Cool and Quiet...

9. -EVRE-

-EVRE- What's a Dremel?

It appears B-T is putting a lot of emphasis on overclocking.
    Maybe instead of rating a processor WORSE because it doesn't overclock well, have overclocking performance be its own rating category and base the value and performance based on its stock clocks.

This would help B-T cater to a wider audience. As it is BT is only catering to the overclocker. I admit I am curious to find out how well it overclocks. However I would not base my decision on what to buy based on overclocking. I may be one of those poor saps who buys a processor only to find out it wont clock well.

*edit*
    this post was started well before Material's comment.

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Well hopefully after reading the reviews here you will choose a processor thats OK!

11. Zaim

Zaim Minimodder

Well, not for those trying to chose between a 1055t and a i5 750/760

Last edited: 15 Oct 2010
  12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

would you be bothered at all to test again with the F10, just to see if the boost works on that one? Sometimes the BIOS people make one step back, two forward it seems :p:p

13. Nature

Nature Minimodder

If the criteria for math here is an invisible category: overclocking potential, and/or how the overall score "feels" to the author based on how important the speciffic category is to him. Then isn't it logical to define and value each category scoring worth?

For example: 1 speed point = 1.33 points
    1 feature point = 0.xxpoints
    1 value point = 0.xx
    Total=xx/xx

Why isn't overclocking potential, heat & temps, and how we feel about the product categories if they are going to determine the overall score?

14. Kaihekoa

Kaihekoa What's a Dremel?

The only negative against this CPU is that Intel's next generation of chips will be out early next year and will require a new socket/motherboard. The initial Sandy Bridge chips are supposed to be mainstream too. Unless you <b>need</b> an upgrade or don't mind buying a MB thatwill be obsolete in 2011 I it would be wiser financially to avoid buying any Intel CPU until Sandy Bridge.

15. Makaveli

Makaveli What's a Dremel?

I'm on a 920 at 3.6 and turbo is disabled I however don't browse the net at 3.6

Speedstep is your friend!

Machine downclocks to 2.2Ghz and stays there for most light workloads.

Running the machine at 4.0+ without speedstep would be stupid!

16. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Can we get an overclocking guide using the most common boards revised for this processor?

17. Xir

Xir Modder

I was under the impression that this article stated, non overclocking the chip was a waste, and WHEN overclocking, Intel Turbo was disabeled.
    (doesn't mention speedstep anywhere, so I don't know if this is enabeled in the overclocking tests)

*I suppose this regime of disabling goes for C&C as well. I use it, but I don't overclock.

18. Cyberpower-UK

Cyberpower-UK Professional Overclocker

Consistently clocks higher at lower temperature than the i5 760, that's how I managed to squeeze 3.6GHz out of one in the Game Cube. It is the i5 equivalent of the 930 and Q6600 G0 refreshes. Would still like to see some 32mn Quads for the 1156 platform then we might bee looking at 4.5GHz OCs on reasonably priced systems.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Which one are you talking about, this article is about the i5 760...:confused:
    (so the i5 760 consistentently clocks higher ... than the i5 760 doesn't make sense)

20. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

I agree. We should always wait for the next hardware. That way financially we would never pay for new hardware because we would never buy new hardware because we would always be waiting for the next hardware upgrade that Intel or AMD will release in the future.:wallbash:

Tags: Add Tags