1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Revisiting Alpha Protocol

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 16 Oct 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I liked the first levels of dues ex, what was wrong with them?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Liberty City? It was just so directionless. There was a lot of freedom on offer, but you had no idea of the general layout or how to progress. Just getting past that first guard or two could be a hassle, IMHO.

Planescape Torment suffers similarly; beautiful game, terrible introduction.

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I dunno, Deus Ex, Planescape: Torment... both drop you in the deep end and leave you to sink or swim, one way or the other. That is something that is refreshing, and sadly missing from many games now. But neither of these games drop you in the deep end in a pool full of piranhas that have gone unfed for the last month - it can be a bit of a fumble, but it's never overtly unfair.

I might have a look for this... I was disappointed that this was so poor originally as I'd wanted another half-decent "free roaming" RPG. :)

5. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

So I guess you didn't play the game past the first few levels for the review?

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

You didn't like the first levels of Deus Ex? Get outta here!
    (Expect a few-dozen comments to that effect, completely ignoring the rest of the content of the article!) :p

I thought this was a good read and the sentiment of the article is something I can empathise with in regards to other games that I've revisited some time after deciding that I don't like them.

I enjoy the revisit/followup articles from a point of view of reading the articles for their own sake (rather than as a buy/don't-buy guide).
    I think it makes the reviews and opinions of the site feel more human and changeable; whereas normally one expects that once a review is made that the opinion is set in stone; even if the author's opinion changes later.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Problem with dues ex you had to stick with it and the first hour or so was a royal pain for many

8. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

The problem with Alpha Protocol is the part of the game that deserves credit, namely the concept of playing a spy running around and dealing with double dealing contacts, isn't in any way praiseworthy, because while it's not a gaming cliché it is as old as the hills as ideas go. So what they did was they took an established genre, and they made a bad game out of it. So sure, maybe give them some credit for actually having the stones to tackle a genre that hasn't been done effectively in gaming before, but that's it. Everything past the drawing board stage stinks out loud.

I think the problem stems from this desire developers have to build everything around the shooter format as a starting off point. So many of these games are shooters with a theme, rather than being in this case, a spy game with some shooting. It's a brave developer that says, "You know what, we don't need combat here."

And it's brave developers that make the best games. Mass Effect 2 is heavily combative certainly, yet features entire missions where you won't fire a shot in anger. Amnesia: The Dark Descent doesn't have any means to fight the enemy at all. The early Thief games would fail your mission if you killed anybody. Many of the best games in recent, and not so recent, history have been the ones where the developers have had the guts to let the game entertain on its own merits, without padding it out with unnecessary combat. That's not to say combat in games is a bad thing, but it is when it's just there for its own sake because the developer is worried your attention might wander.

9. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

The first time I played through Dues Ex was only 6 months ago (not finished, left my save on the family computer, needs cloud support!) and I actually found the first levels to be extremely enjoyable. At first I was a bit like, "God I have been consolised, I have no one holding my hand in this game!" but then I found it really liberating. The intensity of sneaking around for me was one I hadn't felt in a long time. From there though I adjusted to the game. So even though technically I can see that the latter levels are better as you have even more freedom/abilities, I actually enjoyed first levels the most because of the impact that they had.

Just interesting to see a different perspective.

10. CardJoe

I didn't even finish watching the intro cutscene, to be honest. Just opened the box and gave it a smell test.

11. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Lol, I can almost believe that.

Ironically with Deus Ex, the first level often ends up being the one people refer to most when discussing the genius of the game. However, compared to the next three or four levels it's a world apart - they were more linear, more hand holding, and more typically first level-ish. It takes until Hell's Kitchen and beyond to get close to the first level again.

12. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

What did it smell of?

13. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

I really liked Alpha Protocol. Interesting storytelling technique (of an admittedly not that amazing story,) decent game-play and I really didn't find any significant bugs or balancing issues myself. I also liked that you couldn't entirely tell how someone was going to react when you said something, but you could pretty much work out why they did after the fact: much like real life.

14. CardJoe

Yeah, I like that too. It's not just "I am a good guy, I like nice answers".

15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You know a friend of mine has been playing it the last week, and he basically said the same kinda things. The game is flawed but he is thoroughly enjoying it. He went so far as to recommend it to me. I will be waiting until it's in a bargain bin though before I try it.

16. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

Haha, the only reason why I tried to play the game is because of Mike's name. Mike Thornton, I just imagine him as Pete's son. Pete Thornton was the head of the Phoenix Foundation, which employed MacGyver. I really enjoyed MacGyver. *Nostalgia*

17. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Sounds like Alpha Protocol has potential but just needs a 8gb patch!

18. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Worked for the Witcher. :)

19. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

I can sort of see where he's coming from with Deus Ex - It wasn't until maybe half-way through the first level of Deus Ex that it really clicked for me - once that happened I couldn't put the damned game down again. However it took three or four attempts to get to that point. Looking back it was superb, but starting out I just couldn't get on with that start.

20. alexandros1313

alexandros1313 What's a Dremel?

Judging by the original review and this piece, I can certainly believe that. After all, it's perfectly reasonable that a few glitches and niggles should condemn an otherwise fun and enjoyable game into obscurity.

You know what, I realise that the above may sound harsh and agressive, but it's only because I was disappointed by Joe's criteria when it comes to judging a game's true worth. I think it's time for everyone to ask themselves a question, is focusing on some technical issues really the right way to go? Joe, are the issues you mentioned in your original review so important when it's obvious, from the revisiting piece, that the game is fun and enjoyable despite of them? Is it ok to judge a game like you would a hard drive or a motherboard without actually communicating the overall feel of the game?

Tags: Add Tags