1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Need closed headphones

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DragunovHUN, 18 Oct 2010.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Currently i'm using a cheap A4tech HS-50, the only problem with it is that it's currently held together with duct tape.

What i'm looking for is a nice set of closed headphones for gaming, but with a serious looking design not any of that gamer-y stuff. Microphone is optional but preferable in order to avoid desk clutter.
    Also, i'd prefer 3.5 instead of USB if at all possible.

I have no particular budget in mind but something below €100 would be most comfortable as i'm not an audiphile.

Any ideas?

2. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I use a Creative Fatal1ty MK2 headset. I am no audiophile, but the sound quality that comes out of that headset is decent. The highs come out a bit soft and lacks clarity, and the mids come out with pretty much average quality, but the bass and lows come out like a cannon. If the highs and mids on the headset are of average quality, the bass is of excellent quality, but for an audiophile that is not enough. As for comfort, the ear cups are padded with leather and there's a relatively thin leather pad that goes along the top. The ear cups swivel which lets it conform to your head shape a little better (but it also makes a little fragile). As for mic quality, I wouldn't really know, but the mic never really got in my way and my friends tell me that I sound just fine over the internet so it's all good ^^. The headset does use 3.5mm audio also.

The main problem with the MK2 is the price. I'm sorry but I don't know the price where you are from, but in the US the thing will sell for $100. It's probably only worth about $60 for the sound quality it provides. I got mine on sale for $25 after rebate (Creative is pretty good with their rebates). If you can find the headset for around the equivalent of $60 then I'd say go for it, but otherwise look elsewhere.

DragunovHUN likes this.
  3. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

From a sound and value point of view, you'd do much better getting a pair of normal headphones & a clip-on mic rather than a gaming headset.

I recently got The JVC HA-RX700 headset with a Speedlink SPES clip-on mic & an asus Xonar DG soubnd card. It was a massive step up from my gaming headset & Dolby Headphone from the sound cars makes games & music so much better.

For you i'd recommend either a similar set-up which you can get for around £65 or if you want to spend a bit more you might want to look at the Goldring NS1000 headphones instead which you can get for about £50 comapred to the JVCs at £35. I've heard that their sound quality is excellent for the price. There's a lot of very positive coverage of them on the Overclockers UK forums, pretty much anyone asking asbout a headphone recommendation will straightaway be recommended these. :p

DragunovHUN likes this.
  4. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Custom PC had a gaming headphones labtest this month. The Razer Carcharias came out on top, but the Corsair HS1 came in with 82% as well.

But I agree with Telltale Boy. Dedicated headphones have a fantastic audio quality I have yet to hear from any gaming sets. My Sennheiser HD215s are gorgeous, and are about £50 on amazon.co.uk about now. I did a review that you can find in my sig. A decent clip on mic won't break the bank, either.

DragunovHUN likes this.
  5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Thanks for the posts so far. Docodine, in your first link i found the HD280 which looks like my kind of thing, but in Hungary it costs the same as a HD595 (WTF) so i'll have to find a place that sells it and ships within Europe.

EDIT: Reputation has been distributed.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2010
  7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I honestly wouldn't recommend the HD280. My girlfriend's brother has a pair, they don't compare well to my MDR-V6es. They're more fragile, they don't fold, and they only sound better when listening to very high quality digital files like FLAC or actual CDs. They also have known issues with the durability of the headband (wrong term?). He upgraded to Sennheiser IE8s, never tried them because he has custom fitted tips but he claims that they're god-tier. I personally am not a huge fan of Sennheisers besides the godlike HD800s, I've tried most of their headphones too..

The best way to choose a headphone is to go to a store that sells a decent variety of high end models and to bring some sort of audio source which would let you use the headphones in a similar way as you would on your home computer. Record some of your gaming to an audio file and bring it over on a music player maybe?

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Have you checked what i'm working with right now? It costed all of 10 quid. I don't think i'll be disappointed with something that doesn't sound better than yours in every situation :p

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'm a fan of the MDR-V6es, i have the studio version of em (just has gold plating) The MDR-V7506. They're an excellent pair of phones that have a good dosage of anything.

Although I will be honest, it's a bit pricey unless you get it 2nd hand.

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Oh by the way do i want a sound card with this? Something like a PCI-E ASUS? (definitely not buying Creative)

11. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Something like an Asus Xonar DX, i personally have a creative and have no problems.
    I have the Asus put into my little brother's PC and he has never complained about it either.

12. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

Even a dirt cheap soundcard is a sizable improvement over onboard sound. I have a Creative Audigy SE, and compared to any onboard sound I have heard (barring the Bernstein module that came with my DFI), it definitely won out. The Asus Xonar stuff is fantastic as well.

13. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I have a pair of Razer Carcharias and must point out they are by no means sealed headphones. They do no more to block out background noise than use brute audio force. They also act more like speakers than headphones, they leak ALOT. At max although not outrageously loud when on they are perfectly capable of being used as Speakers.

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I recommend a seperate mic setup, integrated usually sucks.

16. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Sound cards are only important if either you're:

1) picky about your sound
    2) an audiophile
    3) doing lots of audio work

If none of those are you then it's a waste of money to get a sound card.

17. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I use a pair of Shure SRH840 with a dac/headphone amp, I just use a clip on zalman mic when I need it.

Audio quality is genuinely superb for gaming and audio alike, so you definitely don't need a sound card as there are other ways to do it.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2010
  18. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I'd disagree, i'm no audiphile but getting a sound card nade a massive difference to me.

I just got the Asus Xonar DG for around £25 and it made a massive difference to the sound of both music & gaming.

As soon as I used it the difference was immediately noticeable. And then when I turned on Dolby Headphone... the difference using surround sound was phenomenal. Whenever I turn off Dolby Headphone now the sound just seems so flat & cheap. It just generally makes music & games so much more immersive.

I've always been sceptical of sound cards but this has completely changed my opinion, made more of a difference to my gaming experience than pretty much every other upgrade. You might want to see the difference it makes first though, maybe if your friend has one? Only problem is, I don't feel I could ever go back, i've become too addicted to Dolby Headphone. :D

19. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

But.. but... gold plated PCI bracket :eeek:

20. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I second exactley what this good guy said, except mine bloody died just a month out of warranty.

A good headset but ive had my fill of "gaming headsets", im going for a real pair next time