1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Fallout: New Vegas Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 19 Oct 2010.

1. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

As far as I know, yes, it does use steamworks for DRM, meaning that it does need to be tied to a steam acct.

2. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Thanks for clarifying Volund

Biggest load of bull I've ever read this, they made the PC version because they know it will sell and I'd bet any amount of money that this sells more copies on the PC than any console!

And it's much more customisable on a PC, and the graphics can be made to look a billion times better than on a console, need I go on?

3. GiantStickMan

GiantStickMan What's a Dremel?

I'm curious to know how it stacks up as a stand-alone game, and does it justify its full retail price? Because from everything I've seen so far, it seems more like an expansion pack content wise.
    Should be noted that I have pre-ordered it regardless. :D

4. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

now the question is is it closer to fallout 1/2 or closer to fallout 3? i'm sorry but fallout 3 isn't a fallout game and shouldn't carry that name. Fallout 3 is oblivion with its flawed system without humor and without atmosphere.

if new vegas is closer to what fallout used to be then i'm in. I was very disappointed with F3 - stupid me, i bought collector's edition and when after i tried to spend 2 weeks with it i sold it - utter crap.

5. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Any amount of money? I could use a couple of grand :D

Just as a frame of reference, Fallout 3 had 55% of its total sales on the 360, followed by 28% on PS3 and 17% on PC. To be quite honest I'm surprised there's anyone left that thinks the PC results in chart topping sales for anything other than a Blizzard or Valve game.

Just because it's better on PC doesn't mean that :

1) the developers care about PC. Think about it, the engine is exactly the same as it has always been, there would have been next to zero cost in porting it and there isn't a single extra feature for PC that wouldn't have been there otherwise. It's a mindless shoe in, as evidenced by the console centric UI discussed in the review.
    2) people will buy it on PC. There are probably more 360's in the world than gaming PCs. Either that or less pirates on console. End result, PC sales are always pitiful compared to console. Not so irrelevant as to not port the game at all, but not relevant enough to treat it as something special on PC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it is on PC and plan on picking it up when it's had all its DLC released in one pack and there are some decent mods. However, don't treat it as more than it is, a port of a console game with the PC as an afterthought.

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

The graphics in Fallout 3 aren't that bad, still good enough for me not to really be bothered by them.

I'm looking forward to New Vegas landing on my doorstep, more of the same is good enough for me and, as mentioned, hopefully some hi-res mods wont be long to follow.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yeah never thought the graphics were bad really and the game more than made up for it.

I'm surprised the amount of people saying it was crashing I played it on a much lower spec rig than the one in my sig and I cant remember it ever crashing.

Cant wait for friday something new to play, I've played Asassins creed so many times now I'm begining to think I am him LOL.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2010
  8. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

The why post here? Its obvious not your cup of tea, I personally love vegas more then 3, hardcore mode is the stuff. I love roaming the wasteland actually having to think about survival, staying in safe houses, Crafting and scavaging. If not for bugs, this would blow 3 away. You want boring and bland then play oblivion.

9. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

hi, so from what you are saying it looks like with HC mode on it really is a proper RPG game. have you ever played F1 or F2 and if yes how does New Vegas compare to these two? I'm really interested in this since as i mentioned earlier i've done a mistake of purchasing F3 collector's edition and i didn't like it and don't want to make the same mistake again. It's sitting in my basket, just waiting for confirmation :) (i'm on ps3, sold my pc last year)

10. mastorofpuppetz

it is a lot more RPG then Fallout 3, dialog is better, more interesting choices, more crafting, in hardcore mode, you really do need to watch more for your survival, so crafting food, having water, having a safe place to stash stuf and sleep, and the like actually is important. Without it the survival aspect is an afterthought. Bugs and all its better then any Bethesda RPG, lol.

11. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Actually, most games sell more on Consoles than PC, it's why the market is moving towards consoles.

As said already, there's no difference between the different platform versions, which means that no real extra work was put in for the PC version other than to make it work decently enough. Heck, they didn't even bother changing console-targeted UI.

Add on to the fact that a DLC is already announced for it that's going to be 360 exclusive and you can already tell that they feel the 360 is going to be the biggest selling platform.

I'm not saying it's a crap game or anything, just saying that the they didn't put anything special for PC and treat it exactly the same as the PS3 and 360.

12. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

cool, i think i'll buy it in that case :) does ammo weight also matter? it used to in F1/F2 - that would be brilliant. thank you for your response

13. mastorofpuppetz

yes, ammo does go against your weight limit, but its fairly small.

14. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

I'm afraid the VATS is still slow to respond the same as Fallout 3. Only had a little play last night but most of the time so far it took a couple of seconds or more to let me chose which body part to aim for once it has zoomed in on the target.

I know I'm going to love this game none the less.

Just hope the HD textures come soon!

I chose not to use hardcore mode as it sounded like a pain in the arse and would spoil my enjoyment of the game. I just want to blast stuff and don't want to worry about micro managing my character like in The Sims!

15. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I love this game so far. Yeah it's not exactly Crysis in the graphics department but it's still decent looking and does the job. The best part is the gameplay though. Great characters and dialogue and all the same fallout 3 combat. I wish there was more difficulty in the normal mode. The VATS thing is like a cheat code. If it's ever 1 on 1 you can just fight properly, but if you get swarmed, just hit VATS and blow their brains out in slow mo. There is the hardcore mode but that's too hardcore. I wish there was a mode in between.

But overall I really like it. Which is really saying something as I hate most games :p

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

do they have a dog in this one? I used to love to sniper with the knockdown rifle and save his ass.. he would be right in the middle tearing up some ass

17. mastorofpuppetz

Hardcore mode to hardcore? LMAO, wow, its not even harder, just adds to the survival aspect., and RPG elements. hardcore mode should be called survival mode or REAL mode, as it should be the default. Your comment makes me shudder, no wonder games get dumbed down.

18. bennyjh

bennyjh What's a Dremel?

So the whole vehicles rumor was rubbish? Im like 4 hrs into the game and nothing so far.

Can anyone confirm otherwise?

19. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Yes but just because more games sell on consoles than PC doesn't mean that more players actually play it than on a PC, think of the countless millions (maybe billions?) of players playing pirated copies of games such as Fallout 3? That's why they sell more games on consoles because they're much more difficult to pirate on a console!

Also their is wayyyyyyy more content available on a PC in the form of mods etc than there ever will be for consoles, also what do you mean as well when you say they didn't even bother to change the console targeted UI in the game? Surely the UI is the same as in Fallout 3? Which I found VERY easy to use with no problems whatsoever.

Also I buy every PC game I play because I like all the cool stuff that comes with a lot of the games such as the Collectors Editions but the main reason and as far as I'm concerned the only reason consoles sell more copies is because of the bloody stupid copy protection method built into MANY PC games!

Think Assassins Creed II for a start that needs activating AND a permanent Internet Connection just to play the bloody thing which is why I haven't and WON'T buy it! Because god forbid the internet goes down whilst playing it on your PC you can't play then! But buy it for XBOX 360 or PS3 and you don't even need to be online at all, seriously what the f*ck was that all about, far as I'm concerned it was/is the most pathetic thing UBISOFT ever came up with, granted Steam games need activating and tying to a users account but at least you can put Steam in offline mode and DO NOT NEED THE INTERNET connected permanently just to play any of the games...

Oh and I've actually read about this so called XBOX 360 exclusive of the Fallout New Vegas DLC and it isn't as exclusive as they make out, it's only going to be an XBOX 360 exclusive first.... Which means they will be releasing it for PC some point after that, i'm pretty sure of that, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I don't think I am...

Oh and all these people saying Fallout 3 crashed for them, it's pretty obvious to me it's either because your system/systems weren't configured properly or you just got unlucky! Either way I never had any problems and ZERO crashes playing it at all.

P.S) When I said
    I didn't just mean it 'sells' more copies on a PC, I was talking about them 'selling it' to players on a PC for the simple reason all the mods that will be available for it imminently, I mean if all the copies that will be downloaded were actually bought, then the PC sales for Fallout 3 New Vegas I'd say would easily eclipse that of consoles.

P.P.S) Maybe they will sell physical copies more on consoles, so here's a couple of grand ;) :D

Last edited: 20 Oct 2010
  20. Pieface

Pieface Modder

RAEG. And by the way, the Crashing of Fallout 3 was a large problem. Just because it doesn't happen to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen to anyone else. You just need to grow up.

Tags: Add Tags