1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Fallout: New Vegas Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 19 Oct 2010.

1. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

So I need to grow up just because I said
    Somehow I don't think I do, I think it's you that needs to grow up.

And as for the whole crashing of Fallout 3 being a huge problem, maybe it was but guess why, it was no doubt mainly due to user error, or users wanting to blame the game makers instead of actually accepting responsibility that they f*cked up and god forbid did something they shouldn't have done..

So say what you like and say I need to grow up if you want, but I just say what other people are thinking, call me the Simon Cowell of the forum......

P.S) What the bleep does RAEG mean?

P.P.S) Most of the problems people have with PC's are due to the fact they think they've got a bargain when buying one of those 'dogs b*llocks' £299 PC's when actually they haven't, they're £299 for a reason! Do you ever see a PC builder complain that their rig alway's crashes? Course you don't because they actually have a clue what they're doing and don't accept the word of some POS sales person in PC World lol.

P.P.P.S) If anyone from PC world is reading this, don't take offence it's not my fault you're clueless :D

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Flawed reasoning and absolutely ignoring any evidence that opposes your opinion. Yeah @Ravenheart , you need to grow up. Either that or stop treating these games like a religious zealot.

Protip: You are allowed to love something in life that has flaws. Admitting them shouldn't detract from how you feel in any way, it just makes you sound a LOT less obnoxious. Trying to at least view something from the perspective of someone else will get you a lot further than your current attitude.

FO3 and New Vegas are buggy as hell. This is well documented and it has very little to do with hardware configurations. Case in point, on the 360 version of New Vegas, several reviewers have stated that there were bugs that caused hard crashes of their systems. The 360 is set hardware, any crashes are simply bad coding, no excuses. That bad coding is in the PC versions as well, some people experience hard crashes to desktop. Someone on this forum even stated that they couldn't finish FO3 because of a main quest ending bug. These bugs occur across platforms and many remain despite quite a few patches.

Again I'm not bashing on FO3 or New Vegas as overall pieces of entertainment. The fact that people enjoy them so much despite their flaws just shows how great they are. But those flaws are there for a large proportion of people that play the game through no fault of their own. I'd be surprised if even Bethesda/Obsidian disputed that.

The assumption that it not happening to you means it was the end users fault is incredibly conceited. As is the one that you are speaking what everyone is thinking.

PS: Online distribution sales are JUST starting to surpass those of retail (again Valve is an exception). Even if they were double (they aren't), combined with retail they would only be just matching sales of the 360, and then there are the PS3 sales too. The PC is not the lead market for games of this type. Any industry leader will tell you this, and you being a PC fanboy isn't going to change that fact.

3. Ravenheart

Flawed reasoning to you maybe, or are you speaking for everyone else now as well? And I'm not ignoring any evidence that opposes my opinion at all, what I am doing is having my opinion which clearly angers you, so you obviously need to grow up as well and if you have nothing constructive to say then don't post, as for treating the game like a religious zealot, do you even know what a religious zealot is? Get over yourself, I had an opinion, you didn't like it, it has nothing to do with religion.....

I do love something in life that has flaws, my other half! There I admitted it, I also love some PC games that have flaws but so what, loving my other half despite her flaws doesn't detract from how I feel about her, nor does me having an opinion/thoughts about a game which you just didn't like (the fact I had an opinion being what you didn't like) and as for my attitude I do/did try to see it from the perspective of someone else but ask yourself this question why should I? When I've worked with PC's all my life, seen the countless user errors (AND I MEAN REALLY PATHETIC SIMPLE, EASY THINGS) that end users f*ck up on, and I've thought to myself, MY GOD what the hell has gotten into these people, STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER.... That's how stupid some people can be, hence why I said most of the problems are caused by user error and I fully stand by that comment, like it or lump it I really don't care.

Sorry New Vegas isn't actually out yet so nobody knows for sure if it is or not, they can only speculate by reading articles online, I never believe anything about a game unless I've had the opportunity to play whichever game in question has been reviewed, and remember until a game has been released it's not the COMPLETE FULL RETAIL VERSION so you are definitely basing your comment on a pre-release version as the official retail version is out this coming Friday the 22nd of October, unless of course you have gotten hold of the complete retail release already? And if you have then it's not the official retail release is it..

I'm aware of that, and I'm also aware of bad coding and I know what that is, but whoever couldn't finish Fallout 3 because of a main quest ending bug were clearly unlucky and that you can't argue with (can you?) simply based on the fact millions of people COULD finish it, myself being one of those people, so for some people yes clearly those bugs did remain (or did they?) maybe they had faulty hardware (yes even on a console!) so perhaps that contributed in some way, that is something you nor me will ever know.

Oh I agree people do still enjoy the games because of the flaws but let me tell you this, I enjoyed Fallout 3 that much I can honestly tell you I didn't notice any flaws at all in the game, believe that or not but it's the truth! And me assuming that it not happening to me means it was/is the end users fault is not incredibly conceited at all, it's based on facts, facts that I've gotten from working on a one to one basis with people who use PC's on a daily basis and from evidence I've witnessed with my own eyes and ears, I worked on a helpline and I swear that 99.9% of the problems people had were DEFINITELY caused by them, instinct and knowledge of PC's told me that, it's called common sense, some of the errors people had were so pathetically stupid I stopped working in that profession as I did not/do not have the time nor inclination to deal with idiots who can't even manage to put the kettle on without forgetting to flick the switch that tells the kettle to boil the water!

So it's not me being conceited at all, it's based on facts, facts I've gathered over many years working in the computer industry.

And I'm not a PC fanboy at all BUT I will tell you this a PC can do tons of things a console will never be able to do, making the PC a far superior item to any console you dare to throw at it, now that's something you can't argue with, but no doubt you'll try.

You talking about online distribution sales are just starting to surpass those of retail (yet you say Valve is an exception) why is it an exception? Because the sales through Valve are through the roof? Is that why you're saying they're an exception?

You also stated that even if they were double (then you said they aren't) how do you know they aren't?

Don't post such things without first having the evidence to backup all your supposed facts, as if you know online sales aren't double then where are the facts to back that statement up?

And even if the PC is not the lead market for games then so be it, but frankly I couldn't care less whether it is or isn't the lead market for games, just tell that to all the millions of steam users who use that to download games, because I'll tell you the only reason consoles are more popular than PC's (and I've already covered this in 1 of my previous posts) is that PC games are so riddled with such obtrusive protection methods/activation required/permanent internet connections needed before you can even play the damn games you shelled out your hard earned cash for and that's the reason a lot of people buy the console versions of the games as that sort of crap isn't built into them is it! And I'm fairly certain if PC games weren't as bogged down in crap as they almost all are these days then the sales of console games wouldn't be anywhere near what they are today and if games shops started pushing PC games and giving them the shelf/store space they give to all the different consoles then it would also be a completely different story but no what do they do, shove the PC games to the back of the store surrounded by games that aren't bogged down with all the crap (which is fair enough) but that should come as a warning sign to the companies that make PC games that end users won't put up with it and retailers will gradually phase out PC games (or at least try to) and it's not called being a fanboy by the way it's about being fair, which won't and doesn't happen with PC games these days.

4. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Ok

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6276553.html

Also the game is out in the US. Review code was the same as retail. Bugginess has been judged by many to be equivalent to FO3. There are patches due to be released to fix the game crashing on 360 in the next week or so. Yeah, that was clearly user error and hardware error, not the devs at all.

I completely believe that you didn't have any problems with FO3, I'm just trying to convince you that you're the exception not the rule. Out of the many accounts I've heard from people playing it, yours is the only one that encountered no bugs. Congratulations. If end users were the problem ALL games would have the same reputation as FO3. The fact that you don't hear about bugs as often in other games would suggest that FO3 is buggier.

Refuting what you say does not mean that I'm angry, though with the diatribe you just wrote about people in general you seem to be. Anyway, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree, except on one point. Yes the PC is a superior item than any console, but that's only in terms of hardware. Without the software support the hardware becomes moot and I initially argued that the software is being developed from the direction of consoles rather than PC. No matter how good PCs themselves get, the experiences crafted will be limited to what consoles can render, albeit with higher resolution and maybe mod support on PC.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2010
  5. Ravenheart

If bugginess has been judged by many to be equivalent to Fallout 3 then fair enough, I haven't played New Vegas yet so wouldn't know, come Friday though I will hopefully have at least tried it! That's if it does turn up on Friday, if the postman brings it lol.

No need to be clever by the way regarding them bringing out patches to fix the game crashing on 360 in the next week or so, you saying
    was out of order, obviously this time the devs f*cked up! But that's the 360 version anyway, I haven't had the chance to play it on anything yet so until I do I can't comment on bugginess or lack of on either console or PC, but I can tell you 1 PC game I experienced bugs with and that was GTA IV, nothing major but bugs all the same!

I really wish I'd have experienced these bugs (well I don't!) in Fallout 3 that you say so many people have experienced but I just didn't, I don't know why, I guess I just got lucky, nothing to do with my rig being bang on and not being clogged up with all the sh*t people install for no reason thinking this new toolbar for Internet Explorer is the dogs b*llocks (not knowing it will affect lots of things) or this piece of software they've been told is great (but it isn't really) surely you get where I'm coming from? People make so many mistakes due to lack of knowledge it's unreal!

By the way I'm not angry nor was what I wrote diatribe (and for you to suggest it is was very immature of you) because like I mentioned it was down to experience on my part over many years and you saying it's 'diatribe' when I clearly told you it's from my own personal experience is bang out of order, and I don't have a problem with people in general at all, quite the contrary in fact, I just cannot abide people who are just too plain stupid to understand simple things, it's not rocket science, a lot of the time all users need is a bit of common sense when it comes to PC's and if you're as clever with such things as I think you might be? Then you'll know how many people just think to themselves, ooh what does this do or what does that button do if I click it, without a 2nd thought to what they might cock up in the process.

I disagree with you (again lol) when you say no matter how good PC's get that the experiences crafted will be limited to what consoles can render, surely you're not talking about in general? Because a PC can render things a hell of a lot better than any console, and it's simply down to the fact a PC has better hardware AND software at it's disposal, and obviously the much higher resolution on a PC helps a lot, and come on you said "And maybe mod support" their's no maybe about it lol.

I'm not a PC fanboy by the way like you assumed I am, I simply have a passion for PC's that I don't have for consoles, consoles are good for games and watching movies (Blu-Rays in the PS3's case) and if all you want to do is watch movies and play games get a console, if you want a challenge get a PC, because anyone can plug a console in and put a game disc in, but not everyone can work out how to use a PC, not just that but work out how to use a PC to it's full potential instead of damaging it by a lack of knowledge.

6. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

The map seems a bit smaller but that might just be my imagination. New Vegas is more of the same really. Not a huge amount has changed. Similar weapons, similar brown wasteland, similar and sometimes identical enemys, and the exact same graphics, VATS system ect. It honestly feels like an expansion rather than a progression of the series. Game does feel...hmm there is something I can't put my finger on. It seems lacking in some way I can't quite place.

It is still good fun though. Although I am trying to keep from getting sidetracked too much. I never finished Fallout 3 as I reached max level long before doing most of the story. Basically I got bored when the progression was gone. So this time I'm doing less wandering...although I 'still' can't seem to help myself wandering off in the opposite direction to the quest I'm actually trying to finish..lol.

In short, if you liked Fallout 3 then you will like this. But don't expect anything really new. Like I say, feels like an expansion rather than a whole new game.

7. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

@jnr - Were you playing Fallout 3 on an NVIDIA graphics card by any chance because I had the VATS one-second freeze all the time, never could get rid of it, until I upgraded from my GTX 280 to an HD 5870? The game used to hitch constantly too. Now Fallout 3 runs silky-smooth on my ATI card and the VATS appears immediately, just as it did in the 360 version I played originally. I'm hoping that Fallout: New Vegas runs as smoothly as Fallout 3 does now; should know at midnight when the game unlocks.

The only issue I had with Fallout 3 across both cards (as it had nothing to do with graphics drivers) was that the music (and only the music, the dialogue was fine) that played through the Pip-boy would sound distorted and skip yet the same music when heard through the radios scattered around the environment sounded perfect!!! I know that isn't how it was supposed to be because that didn't happen in the 360 version. Stupid bug, never did manage to fix it. I really hope that isn't in New Vegas as well...

8. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

Liked FO3 & all add ons .. disliked the constant freezes and then crashes... fixed most over time.. but still with two 295's to play on, a extreme quad cpu clocked at 3.8 and 4gig of DDR3 @1600 loaded on a Raptor HDD .. it still is slow to respond and jerky at times. and bugger me crashes now and again...
    I will wait till I have fumbled my way through lots of other games before buying New Vegas ..

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Last edited: 21 Oct 2010
  10. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

Fine, the review states it's more like a continuation of Fallout 3 rather than Fallout 4, but wasn't that what it was initially sold as way back when it was announced?

Major lol's at the rotating head.

11. Teelzebub

12. Ravenheart

Interesting because from what I gather, Fallout New Vegas was never going to be Fallout 4 so all these people waffling on about it was supposed to be Fallout 4 are wrong lol, see here http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4 It says
    Which simply tells me that Fallout New Vegas definitely was never going to be Fallout 4 and was never meant to be either.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

reminds me of fallout 3.. just started- the graphics outside aren't that shabby for a console port.. all dx9 though

[​IMG]

14. Ravenheart

@ thehippoz

I'm intrigued, what do you mean when you say
    Do you mean it was originally meant to be on consoles only? Then they decided to port it to PC or what? I'm just intrigued as I thought it was alway's going to be on all three platforms anyway, PC, XBOX 360 and PS3.

The reason I think that is because didn't the original Fallout game start on PC anyway wayyyyy back when the pope was a lad? lol, just seems a bit stupid to write it for consoles then decide hang on a minute we will put it out on PC as well if the whole Fallout saga started on the PC in the 1st place.

15. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

FYI, its a lot more then just a continuation of 3, may want to do some research. Bugs not withstanding, its a heck of a lot better, deeper, and more a true fallout game and RPG then 3 ever was.

16. Teelzebub

Well played around a hour and no bugs or problems so far.

17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've got about 16 or 17 hours (on the PC version) logged now and I've not noticed anything major. There has been one odd occasion when the textures didn't load properly and everything was blank colours. A reload sorted that out.

And today one of my companions started doing what looked like squats. He couldn't decide if he wanted to stand or crouch lol. Moving away fixed that.

There are a few clipping issues but nothing game breaking.

18. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

My only issue has been the low FPS around hostile (for the most part) NPC's, which was fixed with the d9d3.dll fix

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah game is solid.. no crashes

I had to use nvidia inspector and delete the fallout nv profile.. then add it to the fallout 3 profile

there was this flashing issue with antialiasing on the 460 when hdr was turned on.. I went on beth forums and it's an issue with the 4xx series- that's a temporary fix anyway

the dll fix volund posted really works also.. play it full up 8x aa supersampled- played dead rising full up too :D I dunno if I really like this fallout so far though- just doesn't feel as fun as the first

only game lately that needed a second card was mafia 2.. and that played with physx on pretty smooth at 906clk on a 460

console ports are not pushing anything.. sucks :sigh:

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

mastorofpuppetz and Ravenheart you have both displayed an immaturity that warrants a perma-ban imo, but for now we'll start with a 72-hour ban for you to cool off and seriously think if you want to contribute to this forum or not.

Quite honestly the Console vs. PC thing is an old, old topic that will never be solved... All we do is stir up the crap over and over and I think everyone's getting pretty bored of it now.

I've deleted each of your diatribes because frankly it makes a mess of what should be an otherwise decent thread. A little talk of the crossover between consoles and PC is fine, but mad arguments about consoles? No.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2010
    Fizzban likes this.
Tags: Add Tags