1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Pros and cons of Corsair H50/H70 vs air coolers?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thelaw, 18 Oct 2010.

1. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I am going to build a gaming PC in December and still hovering over getting a decent air cooler like a titan fenrir(or similar) or something like a Corsair H50/h70.

I have Antec 900 case with all the fans already, i plan to have a i7 930 which i am going to overclock, i realise the Corsair in some reviews does not significally keep a CPU cooler than some of the rated air coolers already out there.

At present i am more swayed towards a Air Cooler on the basis they are usually £25/£30 cheaper and cool almost as well as the corsairs from reviews...

Are there any arguments from people who have who have had both on why i should look at the corsair as a cooling system over a air cooler.

Obvious answers like "because it cools a few degrees more" wont really help as i am aware of that fact, just wanted to know if there are other reason's out there for the corsair that i may have not considered?

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Two pros that i see with these units is that they put less strain on your motherboard and will not interfere with your RAM. Both of these things are the results of doing away with that huge lump of metal.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I was using the Thermalright 120 Ultra Extreme cooler on my rig the one in my sig, Which I reckon to be probably the best air cooler there is.

But after the rebuild I'm now using the H70 I would definitely recommend the H70, But the way I'm using mine I would not consider to be typical so I doubt you would get the temps I'm getting.

But I would still recommend the H70 they are really easy to fit and hardly any weight is placed on the mobo.

Last edited: 18 Oct 2010
  4. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I was nervous of these and recently installed the H50 and will never go back to an aircooled CPU again.

The space it gives is awesome and very easy to install. Also my PC is so quiet now.

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I'd say the main con of those two coolers is the price. In terms of space they use up and cooling, they are great.

6. Lord-Vale3

Lord-Vale3 His Tremendousness

The main con is price: you can get two air coolers for the same performance as the h50/h70

The main pro for me is you dont get interference with your ram - you can get those nice Corsair Dominator sticks when you dont have a 120mm fan hanging on your heatsink above your ram slots

At the previous comment about huge chunk of metal: its still there just hanging on a fan slot in the chassis instead of your mobo :lol:

7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Con: price, nothing else.
    Pro: lots, see above posts :D

same as Bumsrush, TRUE to Corsair H50 (because when i bought it, H50 came out less than 5 month ago) really good cooler, great customer service as well, sent LGA1156 sockets for free.

only thing didn't like is their single fan, used my TRUE's push-pull fan on it instead. no biggie, and doesn't apply to H70.

i was a university student who moves his rig 6 times a year at very least (3 uni holidays, and LAN parties) so zero strain on motherboard when moving was a must. how that i got a job, doesn't really matter

8. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

I have the h50 and agree with most here, pros no ugly clump of metel stuck on the cpu, cons price but a few months down the line and you will have forgot about the little bit of extra expense so i would go for the corsair myself

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

A single radiator like that of the H50 is smaller than the average high-end air cooler.

10. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

not home at the mo but i will post a pic later, the corsair looks the muts nuts in a clear sided case ( just thought i would add that as food for thought )

11. trig

trig god's little mistake

you got a job? man, they'll hire anyone these days ! :D

12. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Thanks folks, one thing i did not consider was the weight of a air cooler on my mobo...it will be a 1366 board likely a Asus P6X58D-E which the CPU is pretty close to those boards heatsinks as well as the memory so i dont really want issues installing things around it......so it looks like the h70 is the way to go.:brrr:

Last edited: 18 Oct 2010
  13. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

Do you think it is worth to buy for my Q6600? I plan to overclock mine as well and I think will be future proof as well.

14. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

I'm sure I read somewhere that the H70 is loader than the H50... Is noise an issue for you?

15. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

Google around to see how many of these sealed coolers have "exploded" inside users machines causing permanent damage etc before buying one.

16. THUMPer

THUMPer What's a Dremel?

I saw one from the H50....
    I have an H70. Great so far.

17. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Its is louder, checked them out on youtube because of the two fans rather than the one in the H50, as for noise being a issue then Nope because i use a gaming headset.

18. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

I just googled H50 cooler exploding and H70 cooler exploding and the first two results was this bit tech thread because of your above qouted post and another bit tech thread, no other links mention anything about the corsairs breaking/exploding on the first page of google results.

So some links would be useful to reference your statement because i cannot find any so far.

19. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

For me the noise is not an issue!! i prefer a little bit more noise than heat.

20. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

How can a cooler explode? The only way is pressure inside the loop. Since the coolant isn't pressurized, the only source of pressure is induced by the pump. The pressure cannot accumulate but remains static for the time the pump is turned on.

Now I have a pump in my water cooling loop probably 10x stronger than the H50/H70 pump and my loop is very sealed but not with compression fittings and the pressure doesn't hurt anything and it can't possibly hurt.

The choice of words "explode" is way more violent than "leak". You would need a lot a lot of pressure and a very very good seal for anything to go off like a part balloon before leaking anything.