1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Upgrade current rig or new build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LatinSpirit, 21 Oct 2010.

1. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

Hello everyone. I have been running my current PC (see sig) since 2008, and I will be soon have enough money saved up to be able to spend some money updating it. But since making hardware desicions is never easy, it's finally my time to ask you guys for build advice :D

After a few days of thought I'm still not sure what to do.

Budget: upto £450 but could save up a bit more if needed.
    Main uses of intended build: gaming, media server and internet.
    Parts required: some or all of the following - cpu, ram, cooler, case, gfx
    Monitor resolution: I have a Samsung 2032bw, which is 1680x1050
    Storage requirements: I have a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 so space isn't an issue. I know SSDs would speed things up but I know very little about them and are quite pricey.
    Will you be overclocking: yes
    Any motherboard requirements: I would go into more detail once I determine that I need a new mobo, but it would be on almost 24/7 so it needs to cope with long term overclocking.
    Extra information about desired system: Faster, quieter and all round more awesome :thumb:

These are the options I have:

Option 1 - Stick with my current setup, but upgrade to a better s775 CPU, a new decent case to replace my Raidmax Ninja w/ 2 Yate Loon D12SL's, and a new graphics card.

Option 2 - Upgrade to a Core i5 bundle (mobo, ram, cpu, cooler) and new decent case . Then start saving up for a graphics card. Should I go for a USB3/Sata 3 board for futureproofing?

If you need anymore information, let me know. I'll also keep an eye out on the Seller threads to see if anyone is selling any 2nd hand hardware that would help me out.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: 22 Oct 2010
  2. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Considering the Radeon 6xxx series drop tomorrow, right now is the WORST possible timing to ask about a new build.

As far as an upgrade goes, picking up a second-hand Q6600 for £50 would give you enough grunt to keep going with your rig. Truth be told, your graphics card is probably your limiter half the time.

What games are you playing?

3. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

Fallout:New Vegas is out tomorrow so I will be getting that, and my PC coped with Fallout 3 ok.
    I have never had an ATI card before, but since I'm not buying today I will be curious to see the info on the 6xxx cards....and no doubt NVidia will have an answer shortly after lol

4. nightblade628

nightblade628 Minimodder

I've been told that Vegas is a ***** to run properly, it's either "graphically intense" or "poorly optimised" so you'll need a pretty hefty GPU to run it full-throttle.

Let's put it this way: You upgrade your GPU you'll see a big increase in fps which will be held back slightly by your CPU. If you upgrade your CPU you'll only see a small fps increase which will be badly held back by your GPU.

DAAMiT are releasing their Barts GPU's tomorrow and Cayman in November so you'll either get a great super-fast new card at a hefty price or pick up a current-gen card for mega-cheap, as long as you wait a month. I'm in the same boat and I'm waiting for Cayman.

5. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Get a new case like the raven, overclock that E7200 and and slot in a new GPU maybe a 460 GTX or whatever else ATI has to offer.
    EDIT just noticed it was overclocked already, think you could get any more out of it?

6. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I'd upgrade the GPU in a month's time or so, once the dust settles on the 68XX series, then upgrade the rest in a year or so when Sandybridge and Bulldozer are out. With a GPU change, your setup will be fine for gaming for another year/ 18months.

Failing that, a new GPU and an SSD (and a copy of win7 if you don't have). It'll seem like an entirely new system.

7. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

I dunno how much more it will go, the cores are currently at 40c while surfing the net. I believe most e7200's can go upto 3.8GHz, but is 300MHz more gonna make that much difference? Surely I would notice more by swapping it for a q6600, or changing to an i5 setup? I'm unsure whether I should get a WC friendly case (trying to futureproof and keep my cooling options open), or just stick to air cooling?

Last edited: 21 Oct 2010
  8. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I wouldn't go near a new S775/DDR2 anything. Both are deceased. Dead. Ex-socket and ex-memory.

I personally would go for a GPU upgrade (GTX460/6xxx), and save up for Sandy Bridge or an i5 system. It's not worth upgrading to i3 from your current setup; a quad core is highly preferable these days for multitasking machines like yours, so either an i5 760-based machine, or it's Sandy Bridge replacement.

9. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

Well if I go down the i5 route....is it best to get a motherboard with usb3/sata3 built in or a cheaper usb2/sata2 board + usb3/sata3 pci-e card, (like the asus u3s6)? Both Asus and Gigabyte have models with built-in support, but on some cheaper boards you can't run both at the same time. When buying hardware I always try and be as futureproof as I can afford, as I can't afford to replace stuff every year....more like every 2-3 years.

10. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

Agree do the GPU first in your system then after 1155 comes out upgrade the cpu/memmory and ram.

Also sell your replaced stuff aswell when they aren't being used for alltogether around £100 or so.

Last edited: 21 Oct 2010
  11. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Not worth doing a full upgrade/new build in my opinion.

I would say 1st thing is your GPU. Hang on a day or two, see what happens with the new ATI 6 series cards.....If they dont out do the GTX 460 in the mid range market, then the 460 would be a good chioce.

After GPU (if it were me) - I would just keep my eyes peeled for a Q6600 or C2D 8400 on the marketplace.

The system would then last well into next year and you will be in a more stable & worthy position to justify a new build.

Just my opinion :)

12. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

I don't think its easy to find a Q6600 or E8400 anymore but i could be wrong. Anyways i don't think there is going to be any new platforms after a few months (amd bulldozer and intel sandy bridge 2011 may not be released until late 2011 and socket2011 sandy bridge is going to be exspensive.

13. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Whilst I reckon USB3 is probably worthwhile, I'm not convinced about SATA3 yet; especially if you don't have a lightning-fast SSD/RAID-array. (That is to say - I'm sold on the concept, but the on-board iterations suck, badly, so you'll need an add-in card anyway.)

1156 is a good socket; the 'boards are good, the processors are good, and whilst Intel changes sockets like you or I change socks 1156 is new enough to command support for a few years yet. Personally, I'd start with a new GPU once 6xxx has come out. After that, if you can scrape together the cash for an i5 760, a GA-P55A-UD3/UD4, and 2x2GB of 1600Mhz DDR3, you're good to go.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Sandybridge will be 1155 and it will be way above your budget, cost to stick i930 ram
    And board is about £450 and is not a bad upgrade if you have psu and case for it.

Gpu upgrade if all you do is game wait for 6870 though

460 1gb is £150 on scan right now bargain at that price

15. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

Yeah I think s1155 will be too much money for me so I don't think I will do that. And noted that the GTX460 has come down to £150.....tempting hehe.

16. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

After a few days of research, the Gigabyte P55a boards seem to be the way to go, with Asus not far behind. The setup you mentioned is what I'm aiming for, but still looking into cases. I have looked into mostly Coolermaster ones, though I am open to suggestions. The HAF 932/ HAF X, ATCS 840 and Cosmos S all have pro's and cons which I am weighing out. Looks, aircooling and watercooling performance, noise, cable management, ease of modding...... :wallbash: so much to consider!

And I have credit at Amazon so it helps if they sell it, as long as it's not loads more than the usual favourites (Scan etc...)

Last edited: 26 Oct 2010
  17. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

If I were you, I'd keep your current setup, only upgrade the graphics card, and wait until a later date to upgrade. While not on the bleeding edge, your current setup can easily hold you out for a bit longer.

18. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

My thoughts exactly.
    The Raven02 is a lust worthy case. Pop in a Gigabyte 460, OC the card and it should handle anything you throw at it at your native resolution.
    I would not buy an i5 bundle with mid-range Sandy Bridge parts coming out in Q1 2011. If I hated my current PC and felt like I really needed a new mobo+cpu then sure, but it seems like your rig handles most of the stuff you use it for just fine and just needs a small shot in the arm.

Get the case and GPU now and transfer them to the new rig if you feel SB platform is worth it.

19. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Generally rolo likes to troll a lot. We have no idea on the platform costs yet, but we do know that the first SB CPU's will be mid range models replacing the i5 line-up. They might have a premium on them, but they will be nowhere close to the cost of even the low end X58 setups like rolo suggested.

Of course I am not saying any of the i5 or i7 CPU's are rubbish. but it's the same like buying a C2D platform three months before the i7 came out. If you really are fed up with your CPU, then putting it out of its misery three months early might be worth it. Though I would say, that for basic office work/multimedia usage the core of your system is still OKish. If you struggle with gaming then your GPU is the first thing you should replace.

20. LatinSpirit

LatinSpirit Minimodder

Well it's my 30th tomorrow, so I'll see if I can hopefully put a bit more money towards the upgrade fund. I felt I wanted to upgrade cpu/mobo/ram first because I have had those for longer and feel it's the best option to increase the overall speed of my pc, not just for gaming. If after doing that I felt my 8800gt was lagging behind, I would then save up for a replacement.

Whether to wait and see what Sandy Bridge brings....well from what I have learnt so far the SB i5's will have less L3 cache than the i5 760 (6mb vs 8mb) so they will have to make up for that somehow. Overclocking seems a bit more awkward with the whole Common Base Clock system.