1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice High-end gaming PC - build advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alex!, 24 Oct 2010.

1. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I game at 1920x1200, mainly BC2, and finding a 6870 plenty. He can try a single card, and he has the PSU and motherboard to drop in another if need be.

2. stonedScientist

stonedScientist What's a Dremel?

***I'm no expert but if you're planning to play older games like Battlefield 2 or something you might want to consider getting Windows 7 Pro just for the added Windows XP mode for compatibility issues.

I could be wrong though.**

EDIT: I am wrong. Never mind that!

Gaming PC's are built around the gpu so if you want a super high end rig wait for the 5970 equivalent in the 6xxx series ;) That's probably over kill but at least you'll have the fastest gpu if it's anything to go by the 5970.

And it'll save getting a new gpu when you come to upgrade your monitor.

Last edited: 25 Oct 2010
  3. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

i would of gone with a 256GB solid state hard drive as my main if it was just for gaming,if not...id go for a 2TB drive for my main and have a dedicated SSD hard drive just for games with yes,you guessed it...windows 7 64bit pro lol

Last edited: 25 Oct 2010
  4. stonedScientist

256GB SSD's come in at over 400 quid! Surely that's not worth it. An SSD (64GB or 128GB, whichever suits your budget) as a boot drive with just enough space for your latest games and a 2TB drive for storage seems the much better option I reckon

5. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

to be honest id be saving my money till they make a 1TB SSD,then i know id be safe from being the owner of an outdated p.c in less than 4years lol i payed £800 for this p.d and its 2 year old...already outdated to the point where you can make one for £300-£400

6. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

also,dont overclock! jeez not fast enough? it's an i7 cpu,cant wait to wear that sh*t out huh? lol should of gone with an amd phenom,cheaper but more for your money

7. stonedScientist

1TB SSD at an affordable price, that's a bit of a stretch! Although that would be bloody awesome.

As for obsolete tech, that's just how it is. There's always something new and exciting round the corner. The industry is always pushing forward.

Take Intel for example, before they release the new Sandy Bridge cpu coming out soon, they've already started on the next processor.

The consumers are always one step behind the leading edge. That's just how the industry is set up.

And getting 4 years out of a PC is probably the best you can hope for and getting 2 is still very good to be honest. But saving up money for a 1TB SSD is a bit much, by the time you've saved up the cash something new will come along and blow SSD's out of the water and you'll be gutted lol.

8. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

Disclaimer!
    WARNING: Overclocking can F up your stuff. Overclocking wares down the hardware and the life-expectancy of the entire computer will be lowered if you overclock.

The Dangers of Overclocking
    First of all, let me say that if you are careful and know what you are doing, it will be very hard for you to do any permanent damage to your computer by overclocking. Your computer will either crash or just refuse to boot if you are pushing the system too far. It's very hard to fry your system by just pushing it to it's limits.

There are dangers, however. The first and most common danger is heat. When you make a component of your computer do more work than it used to, it's going to generate more heat. If you don't have sufficient cooling, your system can and will overheat. By itself, overheating cannot kill your computer, though. The only way that you will kill your computer by overheating is if you repeatedly try to run the system at temperatures higher than recommended. As I said, you should try to stay under 60 C.

The other "danger" of overclocking is that it can reduce the lifespan of your components. When you run more voltage through a component, it's lifespan decreases. A small boost won't have much of an affect, but if you plan on using a large overclock, you will want to be aware of the decrease in lifespan. This is not usually an issue, however, since anybody that is overclocking likely will not be using the same components for more than 4-5 years, and it is unlikely that any of your components will fail before 4-5 years regardless of how much voltage you run through it. Most processors are designed to last for up to 10 years, so losing a few of those years is usually worth the increase in performance in the mind of an overclocker.

9. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

thats why id never buy anything,id be waiting for the best thing...id be 60 saying to myself "you dumbass,43 years of waiting for a future proof p.c" lol tho id be happy buying a p.c thats fast and can use anything the future holds like the i7 extreme...that seems pretty future proof

10. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

you are indeed incorrect. XP mode does not support directx and the XP mode is simply for old office/business type apps that have issues with vista and 7

Win 7 Home premium 64-bit will do just fine.

11. stonedScientist

Sorry mate i've got to disagree again!

If you know what you're doing when it comes to overclocking your cpu then the i7 is fantastic to overclock on. It's literally a beast in sheeps clothing when it's stock. Overclock and unleash the beast :thumb:

12. stonedScientist

Ah my bad. Saves me a few quid then too!

13. adam_bagpuss

rubbish advice. overclocking "may reduce lifespan" and it is pretty irrelevant because who runs a overclocking gaming rig for 10+ years !!. Overclocking does have a very significant impact on performance. if your still worried just do a mild overclock of 3.5Ghz ish.

14. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Please stop trolling.

15. stonedScientist

Yeah but you can future proof your a$$ off as long as you have the money. Future proofing on a budget, like 90% of people, is a different story. I would feel like a mug if i bought an i7 980x extreme right now since new hexacore processors are about to be released. So no it's not future proof. Nothing is future proof for long obviously.

I don't understand your logic? There's always something new coming out, so it's always best to spend on a budget and research the benefits of performance against cost.

16. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

hey adam and PH4...tell that to my old p.c,i overclocked it using foxconn and it now lives under my bed after it some how went with an electric fizz,it was kind enough to leave me a burning smell too so with respect,please don't tell me im trolling.

17. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

yeah i know,having the money is a problem but its fun to compare speed and graphics to your old computer,budget or not...fills you with satisfaction...does me anyway :p

18. xp-T

xp-T What's a Dremel?

all im going to say is,it depends on your hardware.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

for the purposes of just gaming

3.3ghz is plenty and its not a big overclock can be done on stock volts. yes it does shorten the life but who keeps a pc for 5 years thats a gamer? just stay away from pushing the chip to its ultimate limits, 4ghz is plenty for the i930.

rest of your build is fine. 6870 in Crossfire i might say is high end not sure a 6870 by itself is high end though its like 30% faster than an old 4890. read Ph4ZeD review gives some decent comparisons to the 260 he had and what he gained. Ebuyer he brought his at works out at just over £350 for crossfire which is a cracking deal.

£69 for a mouse are you nuts buy a logitech mx 518 still best mouse i ever had and its like below £30. ( http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-060-LG&groupid=702&catid=23&subcat=)

also you can get windows 7 home premium for a lot less cash big savings to be had there.

use the savings to add a soundcard removes a lot of compatibility issues that some people have with realtech audio

enjoy your build

20. adam_bagpuss

im sorry what ?

"i overclocked it using foxconn" - that doesnt make any sense