1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 SP1 RC released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Oct 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Perfectly good OS, so I wasn't really hoping for any new features.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Is it still just all the previous updates rolled into one package?

4. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

I am over the moon that packaging all the important updates is all they've done, meaning IE9 and any other headline additions, will be separate downloads. Sometimes it's best to keep it boring and simple!

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Yep, it's just that, plus the aforementioned Dynamic Memory and RemoteFX. Unless you're a sysadmin with a server, there's zero reason to run out and install the SP1 RC right now.

6. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Yes. and a few more involved patches for good measure

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I agree, Win7 is actually pretty damn good as it is. I've barely edited it from the default installation (apart from one small program to change the task bar behaviour). I'd much rather just something to tidy it up than add any huge improvement that may well break something.

8. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Dreamer

Apart from the bug where renamed files don't always show until I hit F5 to refresh the screen, Windows 7 has been impressively stable and without major issues for me. I've been very impressed with it so I'm happy to wait for the official Service Pack release next year.

9. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I have been very happy with Windows 7, testament to the developers it works very well so no massive update required (although I beleive I feel I should probably take credit for this because I'm a pc and I invented Windows 7).

When MS come up with some new feature I would love to have them. Wasn't XP SP1 bug fixes and SP2 a stack of useful new features?

10. Blassster

Blassster What's a Dremel?

Same problem. It was from the KB980408 update originally (just google), and then again during another update after I fixed it the first time. I had to search but I think this is the exact fix that I used before.
    Registry fix posting

As always, be careful when considering user made registry fixes... it may be wise to back up your stuffs but this worked for me.

11. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Still waiting for MS to fix the windows stealing focus bug (which is well documented all over the web forums). I would almost go back to Windows XP x64 to get around this!! I tried to report it to MS as a bug and they wanted to charge me hundreds of quid for the privilege (despite my owning a Windows 7 Professional license and 2x Windows 7 Premium licenses).
    My plan to switch fully to Ubuntu has been given yet more incentive... Certainly won't be forking out again for any MS operating systems ever again...
    I bet W7 Service Pack 1 has nothing actually useful in it...

12. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I was about to say how positive the posts have been about Win7. However, there's always one rotten apple talking nonsense to ruin it for the rest of us!

13. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Interesting... I've experienced that focus stealing bug myself. I would really like it to be fixed in the future, but other than that, I really can't complain about the OS. In nearly a year of heavy usage I've only had one BSOD crash and that was seemingly random. I had Task Manager window open and was resizing the Task Manager window. Had done it plenty of times before and since with no other issues. Processes aside, the only applications running at the time were IE8, a couple of explorer windows, and my wireless connection software. I'm pretty sure I can live with one crash in 10 months of use. I'm running the Home Premium version.

14. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

XP forever!

*ducks for cover

15. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

now that is just unnecessary in this thread, all it is going to do is cause issues....

I'll be interested to see what updates it is going to include in the final version

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i'd much rather see windows 7 become less memory and disk consuming first before anything. i still find it incredibly bloated, especially the 64 bit version.

17. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I always love when someone whines about it being "memory intensive". So what is 4GB of ram for if you aren't going to use it?
    I'd want my memory to be used so my OS runs better.

Also Win7 relinquishes RAM fine for other applications as required unlike previous OS versions (Vista, XP)
    If you have an issue with the ram being used, buy more ram! You will find the OS scales it's memory usage to a point though and will eat about 1/3rd on purpose.

18. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

I'm Josef Fritzl, and no Windows was my idea.

Seriously though, very impressed with windows 7, I've not experienced any issues thus far, i'm almost tempted to buy a touch screen monitor to see what else it can do.

Vista always was destined to be the red headed step child of the family.

19. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Well, Windows and always-on applications use around 1GB, Starcraft 2 uses 2GB, leaves 1GB for other applications (Firefox, etc).

20. Slyporkie

Slyporkie Fear not the bacon

In 2010, people still on about HDD and memory usage?

Shouldn't usage be about efficiency of use, rather than amount of usage?

Tags: Add Tags