1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Top Tips to Best Manage your game playing time

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by pandoraocicat, 1 Nov 2010.

1. pandoraocicat

pandoraocicat What's a Dremel?

Since gaming from dawn of time (zx81) and playing some epic rpgs in the past.
    Im now fast aproaching the big 40 and just dont have the time for gaming as I used to.
    So have decided to maximise my time. As theres quite a few games i just seem to miss. So was thinking things what games eat up time and to avoid. And whats the cut of point where you say nope its going to take to long I recon 12-14 hours after that nope.
    Carrying this out recently for last month I manage complete Mafia 2, Enslaved lost od, Splinter Cell Conviction, Kane & Lynch 2 (well hardly an achievment at 4hours) & hslo reach. So below are some of games that I plan to avoid.

Fifa,PEs & most sport games etc are easy ones to get rid of.
    40 hour epic role playing games.
    Huge sanbox games.(thats what i liked about mafia 2 they kept the game flowing)
    MMO I had LOTR and star trek lifetime accounts and that was all i was playing.
    Borderlands
    Any game that just has you doing trash just to drag its length out.
    Strategy games.

So top tips welcome. At moment finaly got round to playing Bioshock 2

I know back in old days when £££ where scarce and before Sky tv. I apreciated a good long game but now nope. Plus how many of these sandbox big rpg games do you ever finish.

2. October

October Mariachi Style

So wait...your hot tip to playing more games is to not play long games...?

3. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

To me, managing game play time doesn't mean dropping games which take too much time, it's about planning, limiting, and optimizing game play time so you get the most out of every minute you play. In some more extreme cases cutting out certain games for lack of time is necessary, but I wouldn't go doing that right off the bat. Here's some example things I do to save gameplay time when I'm short on it:

MMORPG Games:
    If you're short on time don't be social, just get in, train for the time limit that you plan then ditch. Be social on the weekends when you have time to be social not when you've got work to do still. If you had planned something with more people than just yourself ditch them if they're more than 15 minutes late.​

MMOFPS Games:
    Join games already in play or games just starting. Try to avoid those rooms with stupid room masters who refuse to start the game.​

MMORTS Games:
    If you don't have the time for one game (and an extra 15-30min buffer in case the game runs long) don't bother playing it.​

Casual MMO Games:
    Don't get so wrapped up in socializing that you forget the time. If you came on to get something done then get it done and then socialize till you have to go (not while you get it done, not before you get it done, after you get it done).​

RPG Games:
    Save often in good/semi-good save points in the story so you can drop the game quickly and not have to redo too much. Don't get wrapped up doing something in the game that isn't related to what you want to be doing in the game in your time playing it.​

General Advice:
    Try to have a goal in mind when you start playing and you know you have a time limit. Make sure that the goal is reachable within the time limit you set, and once you've reached that goal then stop playing.​

There's more game types out there but I don't play them so idk how to save time on them :p. Generally playing games this way gets very boring as it's very rigid and inflexible. I only use these methods when I know that I have to have a time limit on my play time and that I want to actually get within that limit :p.

4. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Just give yourself a time limit and then stick to it.

Just give yourself 3 or 4 hours a night or something. During working weeks, most people I play MMORPG's with just have the cut off at midnight. So at 11:30 they start winding down and refused to join in on anything new. At midnight no matter what, they just go. They still play from about 7pm to midnight though so it's not like 5 hours a night is a hardship.

5. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Good luck stopping me from playing RTS! I have Mammoth Tanks to crush my enemies!

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Blimey :jawdrop: I've only got enough time for two hours tops per weekday.

7. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

That's nothing, I used to play several hours a night when I was young, living at home, no job, etc. But just imagine how awesome my Everquest Bard was :p

Nowdays I'm glad to get 2 hours a night, a couple of times a week. When I played WoW though I saw some pretty good planners. People who arranged everything with their guild so they could be in bed by midnight so they were fresh for work the next day. WoW was part of their routine. Kinda sad... but at least they managed to play the game without it interfering with their job and sleep and stuff.

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I normaly play from around 12 to 4am, I usually stop duing that time for ten minutes to make a drink and and go back to the game.

9. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

My normal situ is... Get home from work at six, food, house work for an hour then games from about seven until tired... once tired then bed shall be used >.<

At the weekend depending what I'm doing depends on how many hours of games I get in. For example weekend just gone i got 27 hours in... Went out on friday and couldn't do much Saturday but die >.<

10. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

im 24 and I don't have enough time, i get about 3 hours in a week. Mainly BC2 or TF2. Between gutting my brothers new house and decorating my dads two houses, meeting estate agents and work. I just don't get enough time. Maybe once i have my own house ill get it sorted.

11. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

you WILL look for an extra room for Gaming, anything else is heresy and you should be banned from all forms of gaming >.< I jest.

Things are quiet on my front so I get to game ALOT for now!

12. pandoraocicat

pandoraocicat What's a Dremel?

3 - 4 i wish im lucky if i can get one or two a night.

Do get every second friday off so try get few extra hours then but there always some bloody thing to do.

Maybee vacation companys could have gaming weekends. A weekend at 4-5 star hotel your own room beer fridge. 32" hdtv xbox/ps3 and your selection of games and 24hr pizza delivery.

Now that would be cool. And also maybee hook some them up for lang events.

And lazy boy recliner.

:D

October likes this.
  13. October

October Mariachi Style

I get maybe an hour a night, between the two regular paid jobs, the occasional paid freelance job, and the voluntary job :lol: I'm planning on booking at least one long weekend off a month after I've my camera saved for and bought.