1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rakesh_sharma23

rakesh_sharma23 Minimodder

Nice modding design contest.

Here's my Idea.
    [​IMG]

2. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Anakha - i like the design idea you have there but have you thought about pumps / res placement?

rakesh - Nice design but would it not be easier to have a fill port in the roof then stick the res out of it and i notices the PSU is at the other end of the case to normal any reasons for this?

3. Mudgey

Mudgey What's a Dremel?

Here is something I started working on about 6 months ago, it was intended to be an off the shelf watercooled version of a very popular case which hopefully you'll recognise :)

[​IMG]

4. aquatuning

Slick!

Would love to see how you manage the airflow though :rock:

5. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

[​IMG]

starting to look like something now ^^
    went full atx, 3x140mm fans at the front(not visible) 1 120mm at the back, and 2 140mm fans at the top.

6. aquatuning

2 x 140 in the very top or above the mobo?

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I like the idea of the rads in the base blowing air from side to side - it's efficient in that you're not drawing air in and then exhausting warm air into the case. Maybe you could look at having the rads on top of each other instead of side by side - that way they'd both be drawing in cool air.

8. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

sort of, a bit hard to explain, but i'll show it with a better view later

9. aquatuning

Cool i was just wondering about the airflow on them is all.

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

To Rakesh (and others): you might want to put some extra thought into the airflow on this one. Especially in the situation where you place radiators back to back, as this is almost never useful. Air that is already carrying the heat from the first radiator is then pushed through the second. I cba to dig up the link, but i remember a test from Skinnee over at xtremesystems, and he proved that the second radiator is pretty much useless in this case, even with over 300W of heatdump, the results were idenitcal with one 360 radiator with three fans and with a sandwich of 3 fans, 360 rad, 3 fans, 360 rad.

Ofcourse, it becomes a different story when you have two loops. Because the GPUs really dont perform any worse if the water is 10 degrees above ambient, you can use it that way if that's your choice.

My own contribution will be a bit more unconventional, while still keeping with all the design goals. I'll heavily modify it ofcourse, but most of the basics will stem from this old design i made a year or so back:
    [​IMG]

11. Demolisher

Demolisher Bear building modder

He guys (and girls ;) )

Here's mine.
    It is a big case. A really big case.

This came to mind when i wanted to melt 2 cases together. But when you are building the thing from the ground up, you have lots more of possebility's

Thing is. You can put you Res and all the cool stuf in the middel of the case.
    Then, you can put your DVD drives and HD's all in the right side (when you look at the front of the case)

That is also where you can put your radioators and pumps.
    That, to top it off, you have the top. There is room for even more radiators.

Let's show it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think.. :)

Last edited: 18 Nov 2010
  12. aquatuning

Bloody hell... thats not messing about

My only gripe is it looks toomuch like two Thermaltake cases - Shudders

13. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

That does look very interesting! I think a few tweaks to the exterior could improve it a lot but I'd like to see how it's laid out inside too!

14. Demolisher

Demolisher Bear building modder

That was my biggest fear. Ik think that if i go and change the front, that it's better... But HOW D:

15. Mudgey

Mudgey What's a Dremel?

16. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I think you should incorporate a 9x120 rad into that roof space + lose the side flaps on the front.
    as said, looks much like the Thermaltake Armor series.

I like how you've drawn this, very nice way of planning, must nick my GF's tablet :D

17. aquatuning

Pure Epic. please get back on this!

Im agreeing with what you said and the drawing style is wicked!

18. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Nice designs so far! Im starting from scratch here so you will have to forgive the ugliness. Im working on the function right now, the form will come later.

I will be working on a Mid Tower case. My Idea is to have 2- 3x 120 (shown) or 140mm Rads mounted vertically inside the case where the Optical drive and HDD bays would normally be. The Mobo is mounted at 90 deg to allow the PSU to be mounted on its side and fit 4x HDDs and 3x Optical drive bays. I will be adding more fans for airflow in the back of the case, the top pannel and meshing the sides to allow airflow past the HDD bay. There will also be a cover for the cables coming out of the top.

Still have a long way to go but should be fun getting there!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Looks good, i like what you did with the bays. Where's the PSU going to sit though?

20. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

The PSU is sitting on its side behind the HDDs, You can see it in the exploded view and its just visible in the side view. Its a small PSU shown but it will fit much longer ones as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.