1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

So THIS is where everyone went!:lol:

@Anakha - You want to widen the top area a bit to fit GPU waterblocks. Grab a video card with a block on it in the library and you will see what I mean.

I like the G5 clones, but Phobia might get sued if they try to mass-produce one.:(

2. asura

asura jack of all trades

Corrected it for you ;)

3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Well as i've said, i am also taking part, but i'm not very experienced, so:

[​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I might also enter this:
    [​IMG]

4. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

EEEEEEEEEEE that's not nice :grr: , but I understand. I wold love it if my pic could be in there though.:rolleyes:

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

The shape of things to come... oh my, it may be a wee bit large...

[​IMG]

6. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I have not had any experience with either Phobya or Aquatuning so I can't comment on their quality or previous business practices.

I assumed that the winner would receive some sort of royalties for the design besides just a production version of the case and some goodies. If this is not the case then I would consider pulling out of the contest. Im sure no matter what design they choose it will need a lot of engineering time to make it manufacture able and profitable. I dont mind manufactures turning to the community for design feedback on their products but I agree that having them design the whole thing (without proper compensation) is a bit of a low blow.

Just my thoughts, Ill keep plugging away at my design regardless.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2010
  7. asura

asura jack of all trades

An interesting thought experiment, but I don't have time to spend on it, so I'm done. Room for HTPX, EATX, ATX, mATX, 4xM-ITX and up-to a 140.5 in the front (with no usable 5.25" drive bays, illustrated is a 140.4 with 3x 3.5"hdd racked of each fan +3 usable drive bays) and a 120.3/140.2 in the roof and you could probably squeeze more in there, but I'm done. Obviously I haven't put any of the internal baffling in... Oh and it'd need a door, all those bays are a bit ugly ;)

[​IMG]

8. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Contact Combatus via PM he is responsible for the video.

How easily can you judge a company by stuff you hear one the internets?

What we are trying to achieve is something that is not been done before listening to the community and making a product for the community. Granted the unit will make it to production after the community has created something they want and something they voted for and yes we will make a profit from the sale of the cases but this is because we have to outlay the costs of the production, staffing etc etc.

If you take 5 second to actually look around you will see we have been pumping money and effort in to this forum to give you free prizes, sponsorship and support. We don’t have to do this but we know you guys like it. Same as I do not have to be in this thread in my personal time but I do to make sure you are well looked after.

So let’s make clear from now on if you DO NOT like the idea of the comp DO NOT enter but as you can see some people would love the idea of having their case made and named after them so QUIT TROLLING.

FURTHER POSTS THat DEVIATE FROM THE MATTER AT HAND WILL BE REMOVED!

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I just want to add that these cases aren't going to be sold in huge numbers and no where have we said that the winner will receive royalties. This isn't like the NZXT Phantom and Craig Brugger (I don't know if he received anything) - the case isn't going to be mass produced and will probably be quite expensive given how its going to be made. As such the winner is probably going to be receiving close to £1000 worth of kit once it's been kitted out with gear.

They're doing this off their own back, they didn't need to do it. In fact they've already designed the first of their new line of cases. It was actually my idea to let you guys come up with a design and I thought it was a fantastic opportunity for the bit-tech community and a lot of fun will be had along the way. If anyone has any issues with anything speak to me. This thread is for design discussion only and we've got some great stuff so far. Lets keep it that way.

10. Roboduck

My apologies :(

Best thing to do now is move on. SO....

Here are some updates. I added a few slots in the center divider for cable routing (probably add more later as I do the actual routing). I also swapped the 120mm rad for the 140mm to see how it looked. Added HDD cage, Optical drive Cage and HDD fan mounts. I made the space between the mobo and the center divider a little bigger but I still only have 28mm between the bottom of a 5870 and the top of the divider :sigh:. I want to keep the case small so you 5970 guys might be out of luck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. aquatuning

These specs are just a list for your refrence.

Think of them as a check list for users not used to designing cases for watercooling. you can design it totally how you like if its good enough the community will vote you through :D

12. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

No apology necessary!

Wow that's a crazy design! I actually really like the fan controllers there. Maybe they might be easier to get to at the top though?

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

ooo Does that mean I can go totally NUTS!?

14. aquatuning

Bet way to look at its is we need to be able to either laser cut it or fold it.

If we can do that then knock yourself out :)

Roboduck - Just had a thought about the top of you case maybe a fake roof to hide the cables?

15. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

[​IMG]
    more progress :D

16. aquatuning

Im liking how this is going :rock:

17. Roboduck

Its on my list of things to do. I haven't thought of a good design for it yet but I'm open to suggestions!

Glaxd you like it. I'm not sure what you mean by at the top? Do you mean above the mobo or facing up instead of out?

18. aquatuning

i think you could combine the fake roof and fancontrollers maybe?

19. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

I might? Here's a shot of it with the "ATI HD2900XT DD Waterblock 300" inserted in the second x16 slot. There's still 1.5cm of clearance above it. So unless it's an extremely tall block, it'll fit.
    [​IMG]
    These are only rough dimensions, not exact, so there is going to be a little bit of increase in the size there anyway to allow for material thickness. support structures, more accuracy than just eyeballing it in, that kind of thing. :)

20. aquatuning

What about if the gpu power ports are on the top of the card?

Might want think about that :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.