1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus leaks GTX 580 specs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 4 Nov 2010.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

You mentioned another brand before I did.

The price mentioned was in a different currency and it was only assumed to be £500.

I actually agree with you on the point of SLi/CF, which is something this site and many others don't.

2. comrade

comrade What's a Dremel?

All of this is just based on speculation. When the first cards appear, then we'll know the actual price and reviews will tell what it can and cannot do.

Whatever though, no one is forcing anyone to buy one of these. If the price is too steep, or you just cannot stand dealing with Nvidia, buy something else! I've used cards from both companies and I have been happy with products from both companies.

We are getting way too spoiled these days by the performance we get from even low end computers. There are plenty of cards in the $150-$300 range that will do amazing things.

This subject is just too minor to get even the slightest bit upset over. Turn off the computer, go for a bike ride or play ball with your kids. If you want something that will make you realize just how minor this arguing about the price and ability of a certain video card is, go visit your local veterans hospital! Volunteer there for a while and you'll see people who have REAL problems!

3. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Ok, I'm affording you far too much of my time but here ya go:

You say this in one thread: "WOW, any other gimmicks iPhone can come up with in response to the positive reviewed Windows Phone 7?"

Now you say this: "Actually, it was a valid point that Apple were going for gimmicks in response from positive reviews about the windows phone 7"

Are they really? Gimmicks?! You know whats involved with adding the feature detailed in that news item? But of course you don't own a Win7 phone and are not biased so we shouldn't read too much into it ...

And you say this in order not to appear biased towards Win7 mobile in anyway: "I don't own a windows phone 7."

But previously you've said: "I for one will be upgrading my handset to a WM7 device."

Ah, so you don't own one YET. My point about it working both ways is that your anti-Apple crap might be included in things that we've all heard many times before, so how about you leave that out? <anti something==============fanboi something> Do you see? It's the same, just different ends of the spectrum.

Added: oh, and unless this card makes copious amounts of noise, cooks my sausages AND plays Crysis then I won't be buying it.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
  4. Vigilante

Vigilante What's a Dremel?

If Nvidia has scaled up the GF104 die linearly, added more cores (scaled appropriately for a high end card) and at that clock speed, it could be a winner.

However, being a bit more sane and considering nvidia's assholery regarding its current chip designs, it's probably gf100.5, a bugfixed 480 with most of the design flaws removed to give it a 10% clock speed advantage and (perhaps) a 15% performance advantage over the 480. Of course, again, being nvidia, the 10% clock speed advantage will give them the right to charge it about twice as high as anything else on the market.

Shame nobody logical works at nvidia - at least, in the positions where decision making is made. Oh and, as for my prophesying about the 580's performance - you heard it here first.

5. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

Assuming much?

GF110, which GTX580 will be using, is essentially GF100 (GTX480), but with the HPC features removed (DP FP units, caches), reducing the die-size by 10%. Together with a fixed 40 nm production process, this means big power savings and an increase in SPs and possible clockspeeds. Win-win, basically. Unless you need those HPC features, which will then be found in Tesla cards :)

6. Snips

Sorry, I obviously dissed your beloved products. I won't do it again, promise!

A t-shirt is in the post for you babe, along with a signed photo.

(Wow, my first stalker! I'm so excited)

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
  7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

£200! I'm still happy with my 8800GT!
    ;)

(but seriously, it's only just starting to show it's age, I recon there's at least another generation left before I feel the need to upgrade)

8. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

Snips, provide a link to that quote because when I just search on this "and I own an iPhone4" all I get is what you've written above. I'm not denying I've said it however if you don't provide accurate information to back up your bs what are we supposed to think.

And incidentally, let's remind ourselves how this started:

If you can't take it, don't start it.

9. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

hope its not another volcano that'll need to be watercooled if you even wanna consider overclocking.....

10. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Ouch... £500... That'll be Nvidia failing nicely then. There goes that market comp I was hoping for!

11. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Sigh. You are obviously one of those people who likes to argue, even when there is nothing worth arguing about. Let it go already, nobody but you is interested.

12. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

No top of the line GPU is cheap at launch.

I am sure if people can take a look back at how expensive other cards were at launch they will be reminded that 2-3months down the line (or less) then the price becomes much more realistic.

In addition Nvidia are much better to reacting to AMD's pricing, but if AMD's prices are also high, then we need to identify our needs with our means and buy a suitably priced (less powerful) product.

Summary - if you consider something is too expensive, then don't buy it.

Surfing around it's been suggested that a GTX560 is also planned and that this may be used as a cost effective dual gpu card - one innovation they could consider for such a beast is using a shared memory rather than dedicating RAM to each GPU - should help keep the 'high res' mob happy.

Like any multi GPU technology though - whether u purchase an 'X2' card will be subject to SLI support being available in the games you play.

Am I right in assuming that SLI is still more widely supported, (in driver and games), scales better and (in real world) functions better than crossfire?

13. Snips

"Within 20 seconds of reading your post I had booted up the app store on my iPad and ordered Civ Rev. Gutted that the iPad version is £7.49 ... a bit steeper than I would like to pay.

FREE for the iPhone version? Hell yes! "

Would that imply you have an iPhone to get excited that the iPhone version was free? or do you just get excited about most things? I'll dig further if you like but then that would mean I'm stalking you, which I'm not really into. Wasn't there a line in a movie once about "Stalking the Stalker" ?

You really have taken this far to personal, especially in a subject you clearly bat for the opposing team. So why did a quote politely asking for a bit of commonsense in the GPU threads which if we are all honest, always turn into a fan battleroyal. Yes it's fun to watch but does get a little tedious.

but you my No.1 fan have really brightened it up for us all. Thanks! ;)

14. Snips

I've not used a CF personally but I hear on this site regularly that it's pretty much decent as well nowadays. I think both SLi/CF have huge benefits but it can still get caught out on games that just refuse to believe either exist. I think folding is where CF does fall but I believe there's something in the works for that as well. I've only ever used SLi so I can't claim any of this from personal experience.

15. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

this whole re-gurgitated debate over nvidia versus ati/amd is just free marketing for the companies no? I mean they dont even need to speak on how good a product is in order for it to sell, dont people make their own minds up based on reviews and the price point thats appropriate for them?

what does bother me slightly is these 2 companies are supposed to be in fierce competition, which should be good for us as consumers, yet this "suggested" price point makes me think each group has fans which will buy it regardless of price... so us as consumers are shooting ourselves in the foot by arguing with each other because we should in theory shouldnt we just sit on the fence and let the product sell itself?

One thing i'm really struggling with, is the need for folding. Seriously, other than curing disease is this supposed to be an important factor when choosing a graphics card?

16. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

edit. accidently quoted myself and cant delete. epicfail.

17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

what will happen to GTX 480 prices?

currently gtx480 is 360 euro ... if it were 550 euro for a 580 I dont see them shifting.

Personally I'm tempted by a 480 at 300 euro... and then try and grab another in 6 months.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

SETI...ever since folding became fashionable, our cosmic friends (or foe's) :grr: are beeing forgotten! :D

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Somebody mensioned quad sli 460 for same cost well that's imposible

460 can only be run in sli doesn't even do tri sli

Cost is insane but it will still sell and we have no idea how much ati will charge for 6950 6970 or 6990 or how these cards perform

6870 in crossfire is good at the min

Noise and heat wise, 470 sli is faster but more heat and noise both cost aroubd £400

Both will beat any single card nvidia or ati make.

20. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Yes SETI. I actually abandoned SETI altogether. Servers are more often down than up, running only World Community Grid, where I don't need VGA at all. Folding is not an option with Fermi (quad-sli), unless you own personal power plant. I tried folding for a while, but with UPS in the system, Folding sucking batteries dry in no time when I'm at work and there is power outage. With WCG I have no such problems. Easily keeps few hours because only CPU is maxed out.

Anyway GTX580 is expensive and anyone who want it will pay premium - just as you should for premium product. At least for a month or so. Just wait for a end of the year period. Every company want to bump their sales around New Year. Prices will go down. In all honestly unless you want to go with water cooling I wouldn't bother with reference GTX580. I waiting for something interesting with non-reference cooling.

Tags: Add Tags