1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Battlefield Play4Free announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 5 Nov 2010.

1. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Need more BC2 content please. Need some new maps and weapons, maybe some 1942\BF2 map remakes :p

2. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

...and it *still* won't be as good as Planetside...

3. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Just watched the video and it is the same as BF2. Why would i want to play this when I already have BF2 and a load of mods for BF2?

4. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I enjoyed Battlefield Heroes, but frankly I don't know if the supposedly "hardcore" audience is as interested in microtransactions, especially if they give people a competitive advantage. Besides, the audience it appeals to may well already be familiar with past games... so why would they bother to play what is effectively an inferior version of games they already know, even if it is free? It reminds me of Quake Live - the game is based on an earlier title, and has its niche audience, but by and large I don't see why you'd bother when you can get a better experience for a rock-bottom price, plus the advantage of mods, custom maps, faster servers and no in-game advertising.

5. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

I wonder, did Intel learn this from EA when they started selling "dumbed down" cpu's that you have to pay extra to unlock the full potential of the cpu, or, did EA learn this from Intel? Give away a "dumbed down" game and then have you pay to make it fully playable. :idea:

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

No, just no.

I love Valve as much as the next gamer, but what they've done with TF2 is one of the worst implementations of micro transactions. It's not free to play. It's giving people advantages over paying customers. If it needs to have a cost to remain cheater proof then don't try micro transactions with it, implement them in Alien Swarm.

+1

A well implemented ad can be great for dropping game prices while having little to no effect on the gamer. One I really like is Killing Floor. Just a small little ad playing while you get ready for a round.

As for no advantage, a key piece of a free to play game is that the ones who pay get an advantage. However, totally agree that with purchased games and DLC should be as nuetral to balance as possible, that goes for micro-transactions in paid games like TF2 as well. Gotta love those $17 hats to let you get a set bonus which gives you better stats, though to be fair I believe those can be crafted for no charge... don't quote me.

I'm with you on that one. LoL's got a great free to play model. Nothing gameplay related is for real money purchase only. Buying characters only saves you time, but again has no effect after you put in a bit more time.

Did you know that quart jugs of milk are actually dumbed down gallon jugs made smaller so that you have to buy four of them?

Last edited: 8 Nov 2010
  7. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Would be nice to mix the best of Battlefield and Planetside :D

Not played Planetside for years :(, when is the new PS out? (thought I read something about it earlier this year).

8. Muaadib

Muaadib What's a Dremel?

You forgot that runes are only purchased through IP, you cant buy them with real cash.

9. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

I'll be interested in this but merely to get a feel for the Battlefield series in general. I've been a COD guy up till now (don't hate me) but i'm very tempted by Bad Company 2 for £13.

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Battlefield Die4Free. I don't want to lose because someone is richer than me.

11. PQuiff

PQuiff What's a Dremel?

FFS Dice stop dicking around!
    BF3 - PC NOW!!!!

12. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

MEH. Wake me up (if and when) BF3 comes out...

I have bought an Intel CPU and previously played a lot of BF2142... Could this have been a subconsciously planted compulsion??

13. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

This is what we call the Eve Online Model....Super hardcore players who spend/entrust thousands of dollars in microtransactions.

14. Grape Flavor

Grape Flavor What's a Dremel?

I'd be very curious to see the system requirements. It'll be higher than BF Heroes for sure but it'd be cool to be able to play this on relatively underpowered machines.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Ah! Been playing too much Heroes of Newerth.

I'll correct it, thank you! :D

Tags: Add Tags