1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 1,536MB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 27 Mar 2010.

1. mikemorton

mikemorton Minimodder

OK guys, it's now November and there have been a few driver re-releases since I got my Novatech (Palit) GTX480.

I got the 480 thinking it was the hottest card around - and not literally either!

It's certainly better than any card I've owned before, but it doesn't work quite as well as I thought it should.

For example, it delivers an abysmal "D" in the Mafia 2 benchmark with everything racked up to max.

Having said that, the actual game plays pretty well for the most part with these settings.

I need to build my son a PC, so if there's a better card out there he may inherit my 480 and I'll buy myself a new one.

What would you recommend as a substitute card for my main PC?

Gaming means a big deal to me, so I'm prepared to pay out for something that really delivers.

Single card?

Crossfire/SLI?

Thanks for any help & suggestions you can give.

2. oatey4519

oatey4519 can't be arsed...

if it's Nvidia you want.. there isn't

New cards on there way out form the Red and Green side so worth looking a them.

Them best at the min is not doubt the 1GB 460's... Sli setup would be good

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've got two 480's in SLI and haven't come across any game it cant play with the settings maxed and at 2560x1440 res.

4. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

At the cost of a measly 670 pounds.

Seriously.

5. Teelzebub

Yeah SERIOUSLY :rolleyes:

I didnt work hard for the last 40 years of my life to care what you think about how I spend my hard earn cash :sigh:

Pete J likes this.
  6. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

I'm just saying you shouldn't post the obvious. 2 of the most expensive cards Nvidia has to offer in SLI mode that "seem to be able to run everything" isn't much of an argument or suprise at all.

7. Teelzebub

Maybe I should have made myself clearer for people that don t read the OP's question.

The OP asked if he should get another GPU to improve the performance of his system I was pointing out that considering that he already had one GTX480 in would make sense to buy another and SLI them as they scale extremely well.

And when you want to quote me at least do it correctly I did not say "it seem to be able to run everything" as you have said in the above post.

I said that "I haven't come across any game that it cant play with the settings maxed at a res of 2560X1440" which is a fact.

Your comment was not helpfull in any way at all and shows that you should keep you opinions to yourself.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2010
  8. Mraedis

Mraedis Minimodder

It's not the OP, just the top post on this page.

Furthermore, I apoligise for incorrectly "quoting", shortening the phrase seemed appropriate at the time. And even further for sounding like a douche, which I didn't intend, just making some comments. ^^

As the 'OP' said, he's probably dumping the 480 at his son, and as Oatey suggested, a dual 460 setup would run most things just fine, rather than buying the way more expensive dual 480's, which was what I was trying to say all along.

Tags: Add Tags