1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Level Twelve

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 4 Nov 2010.

1. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

I know. Pretty lame name. I do however like how both words have so many letters in common just like Level Eleven. There won't be a Level Thirteen, I promise you.

Anyway, this is a case mod. The case is a very small mini tower case that has the optical drive mounted vertically. It has space for a single 3.5" hard drive and two low-profile expansion slots.

The goal for this project is to replace everything with much higher-end components, improve the cooling system and enclose it in something special...hopefully. It has to be finished by December 15th so this is going to happen fast.

I was cornered to quickly come up with a design idea so I quickly copped-out and traced a photo of Level Eleven.

[​IMG]

I exactly doubled L11's dimensions which makes this a 2/3 scale version of Thermaltake's Level 10. The idea is to make a slide-in "cartridge" style enclosure-type system like my Mission and Mid-Century Madness projects.

[​IMG]
    Gutted, looking at it from behind. PSU in top hole and expansion slots on the bottom.

[​IMG]
    Interior space. Fairly well made with no sharp edges. Made from steel so the Dremel will be working hard on this project.

[​IMG]
    The stock motherboard (left) is being replaced with a Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 mini-ITX motherboard. The stock board is non-standard sized that is wider than a mini-ITX and appears to be the same length as a microATX board. Using the Gigabyte board allows me to use a double-slot video card instead of a single slot. It also gives me USB 3.0 which will be important later.

[​IMG]
    The stock power supply (gutted on the right) is rated at 180W and incorporates the original system's only case fan. It is a non-standard size. I did a lot of research to find another non-standard PSU that comes close in size. What I got is a 350W Antec MT-352 that came out of an Antec HTPC case. A little modding and it should fit perfect.

[​IMG]
    1/4" Baltic Birch plywood being cut with my handle-less X-Acto razor saw. Some things never change.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking. I welcome any and all feedback. Standard rules apply. :D

Last edited: 11 Dec 2010
  2. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

nice start, the same mobo as mine. any ideas about the cpu cooling yet?

3. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks. I was originally going to use a Corsair H50 but there is no room for the inflexible hoses. I've decided to go with a Scythe Shuriken instead. There was some good feedback on Newegg where a guy used the same board and had no RAM/Vid card clearance issues. How is that Akasa working for you or have you tested it yet?

4. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Sound like a plan :thumb: Yeah Akasa works, gave me stable overclock of 4.2Ghz today, just not that quiet

5. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

cool. another neat slipperyskip build to watch. I'll be tuning in to this one.

6. Kumo

Kumo What's a Dremel?

Looks like a nice project. Good luck.

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Not much Akasa on this side of the pond. I had to smuggle some Akasa TIM Cleaner across the border several years ago. :D

Thanks! Wood rules, plastic drools. :hehe:

Hopefully. Thanks. :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    To free up some space I'm relocating the optical drive and 3.5" HDD(s) to the support box. In their place I'll be using this Crucial C300 256GB SSD as a system drive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Oops. Wrong CPU. I'll have to send this one back.

[​IMG]
    8" wide quarter-matched Bird's Eye Maple.

[​IMG]
    Back to the saw mill after having a little fun.

Thanks for looking.

8. BigBazz

BigBazz What's a Dremel?

Wrong CPU pfft yeah right as if any one would give that back ;) a future project in sight hmmm :) look forward to see what you do with this project.

9. ./^\.Ace./^\.

./^\.Ace./^\. What's a Dremel?

If you don't need that i7 980x I will gladly have it. :hehe:

10. its

its What's a Dremel?

Wrong CPU? C'mon.. You didn't notice it and simply put it in the computer :D I would never send that little neat piece back haha.

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Skip, I'm sending you my address. You know where to send that CPU :hehe:

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Wrong mainly because it is the wrong socket. :wallbash: Even Intel gets confused now and then with all the different sockets.

No! :hehe:

I was hoping to have Intel as a sponsor for more than just one project. :thumb: I find that companies that make these kind of mistakes tend to not want the "error" back.

No. I'm going to turn it into a paperweight. :hehe:

After talking to Intel it has been decided that I get to keep the 980X for my next project. Honesty pays once again.

[​IMG]
    Today's UPS haul. A Scythe Shuriken, Powercolor 5750 and a Vantec USB 3.0 Hub. USB Hub? WTF?

[​IMG]
    New knowledge. USB 3.0 ports are coded in blue.

[​IMG]
    It's not modding unless you are voiding warranties. The plastic case will go in the trash.

[​IMG]
    Cute little video card. Smaller than I pictured in my head. (Did I just say cute? Damn.)

[​IMG]
    6-pin PCIE power plug means there is a little heat under the tiny hood.

[​IMG]
    Nice match size-wise for a mini-ITX board. A single stick of memory to help check for clearance issues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The cooling fans face downward. I'll be cutting out a huge portion of bottom of this case to help these fans get direct fresh air.

[​IMG]
    I love Scythe products. This low-profile cooler has six heat-pipes and a 100mm x 12mm fan.

[​IMG]

Back to sawing. Thanks for looking. :thumb:

13. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

im liking this collection of parts. sub'd :D

14. Dot_Kappa

Dot_Kappa 100% Puppet

Interesting this vga low profile :)

/OT
    Slipper , no watermarks for your pictures....? :D

15. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Another 'level' mod. You've got my attention. :D Gotta love those small boards, I
    can see a couple of those in my future.

16. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

There's another modder out there wondering why Intel have sent them a 1156 CPU instead of a 980X. :p Nice going so far.

17. murraynt

murraynt Modder

You jammy devil, lovely little build you have going.
    Any plans for the case yet?

18. bobisgod

bobisgod What's a Dremel?

Can't wait to see what you're gonna do with it! Are you going to use any wood?
    @Chiller
    seriously? trying to get attention in someone else's buildlog? There's a rule about that iirc

19. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

oh man , this is gonna be insane.Cant wait to see more of this.

20. its

its What's a Dremel?

@Chiller1: C'mon :) That's pathetic.