1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Polphony Digital: GT5 held back by PS3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Nov 2010.

1. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

When you have an idea but you are limited by the hardware well that's when you step up to the PC. In this case it will never happen as GT is the face of the Sony Playstation brand as it's the only exclusive to grace all 4 platforms.

Hats off to Polyphony Studios as they are one of the rare developers who are pushing the hardware as now a days most DEVS pump out copy and paste cookie cutter games.

2. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I'll take my hat off when the ****ing thing actually comes out.

3. Cafuddled

Cafuddled What's a Dremel?

They are pressing the discs for the game as we speak, could still be out this month.

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Hey, it'll probably be out before HL2:Episode 3 at least.

5. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

+1 PC version
    PS3 = MEH

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I agree with LeMaltor. Bit's article isn't much more than a re-phrasing of the CVG article, and it looks like there is a bit of re-interpretation along the way as each entity adds his take on the subject.

In my opinion, it almost seems like Kaz Yamauchi may have been saying that he wasn't able to fully realize his vision of what the game could be. The Kotaku article does have a point in that we don't know the context of the original question. After translation, paraphrasing, and re-interpretation, the story is presented as though the PS3 has poor hardware and is the contributing factor for causing delays in game development. Many of the comments here seems to agree with that opinion.

What I believe to be Yamauchi's original point is really the same for any game developer - and that includes all consoles and PCs. Every developer has a grand vision, but certain concessions have to made at some point along the way because we still don't have full-immersion holodecks.

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

sounds more like its full of bugs they can't solve and hence the constant delays,

'Aww its not are fault the console is limited....'

8. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Except this isn't one. It's only marketed as one.

9. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I installed Grand Prix Legends only the other night, still blows me away. Works over VPN, can play it at 1680 x 1050. It's the best darn Grand Prix simulator in the world.... ever!

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

See below:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Part of the challenge of developing a video game! As you say, all developers will have dreams for their game which can never be met, but the best developers will accept what they have to work with and do their best to recreate that dream as well as they can with the hardware they are provided.

It's easy to interpret his point as finger pointing because of this. He seems to have misjudged how much of his dream could be created with the hardware available (and with the timeframe available, as evidenced by the delays). Best example that comes to mind, if you wish to drive across the country, but only provide for a single tank of gas then don't go saying your car isn't very fuel efficient when you fail. Objectively, yes, the car has held you back from your dream and could be percieved as being at fault, but realistically it's your fault for not compromising to fit the hardware available so mentioning the car is irrelevant an comes off as shifting the blame.

11. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Japanese people (or devs if that makes it easier and not to tar ever with the same brush (just devs :p )) are humble, it would be wierd if he came out as saying "this is the best game ever, it craps all over forza, ps3 roxs"

Kaz want's to create the ultimate driving game, he has always pushed the consoles and thus sony to produce better ones, until a console can give us a GT than actual feels, smells and tastes of being in a car I wouldn't expect him to hang up his boots and say "yeah I'm done". He loves cars and racing too much, he wants to share his pashion with all of us.

This is lazy copy and paste crap on joe's part

eg. Whatever Yamauchi and Co. are wanting to add to the game, they'd better do it quickl

Discs are being pressed, hell some stolen copies are already being played, game should be out any time soon.

Bit-tech has gone down hill recently, removing Crysis from the benchmarks is another sign. It should have remained until Crysis 2 comes out, I'm not sure who plays Dirt 2 - it's awful. Arma 2 is niche. Just cause 2 and BC2 are hardly machine breakers (too many 2's in the games that get tested though rollon Crysis 2!)

Anyway can't bit-tech badgers Sony and PD for info on the game, it's being pressed, it's on ship's, it's probably in sellers warehouses, so get us a release date!

12. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

pure scapegoating

13. blood69

blood69 What's a Dremel?

Thats the most stupid thing i have ever heard, if theres a problem with the hardware on the consoles there always exist PC platform.
    Its just an excuse...

My reality simulator is held back by the hardware I'm running it on. :/

Me to

14. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

some stores already have the game as there are a few pics and videos of the final version out there (gtplanet.net)

and i agree with LeMaltor......

[​IMG]

15. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

They would not have this problem if they were making it for PC. Maybe they should just make it for PC and offer a port to the PS3 and other systems with the words: if you care about quality than you should not be using a console.

16. Makaveli

Makaveli What's a Dremel?

That's like telling Nintendo to make Zelda for PC.

Not gonna happen in this reality maybe in the multiverse!

17. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

They've spent 5 years designing for a console that is now 4 years old. What GPUs were we using 4 years ago?

18. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

you want to know why they wont make it on PC, they want people to buy it silly

19. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

If you just want to test the graphics, then Crysis is fine. However, if you want to do more than a graphics benchmark, if you actually want to play games that people play and enjoy, then it's a poor choice, since very few people actually regularly play it. Crysis is not representative of modern games - sure in 2007 it was seen to be the DX10 way forward - but we're now in 2010 and almost no developers have put time and effort into producing games for the pc platform that look as good - so it can no longer be claimed to be either the future of the PC industry or representative of what people play. It's seen to be a benchmark more than a game by too many people nowadays - which just means that graphics manufacturers optimize their drivers for it to artificially show performance improvements

You've put it best when you've said 'machine-breaker'. Bit-Tech is all about real-world tests, and whilst Crysis is a real-world game, it's hardly representative of a modern game that lots of people actually play - or of other modern games.

Sloth likes this.
  20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Sweet jeebus, thank you!

If you really want to see results for a demanding application which no gamer uses on a regular basis then ask Bit to run FurMark!

Tags: Add Tags