1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 9 Nov 2010.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I don't think I've fallen for any uninformed gossip, I'm purely pointing out that AMD's naming scheme is more confusing than Nvidia's present scheme.

The 580 is faster than the 480, the 6870 is not faster than the 5870 fact when the numbering scheme would suggest it was, if they had named it 6850 then there wouldn't have been an issue. Therefore more confusing, architectural changes or not.

I don't buy cards because of there numbers I buy for proven results and comparisons such as are provided by the good peops of cpc and bit-tech.

Anyway I'm not gonna get into some pointless arguement about naming schemes so I'll duck out now.

2. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Apple ≠ Orange. True, just read it on Wikipedia.

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I don't think you have said anything wrong at all Crapbag. It's just a few people here trying to justify their AMD bias onto you.

4. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Snips don't go down that route again. You did this in the last thread.

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

TBH, Snips just seems to dislike AMD in general. Glancing through his past comments, I don't think he's ever said anything positive about them.

6. douglatins

douglatins What's a Dremel?

7. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

Snips, you're right, I am biased against Nvidia (I'll put it in my profile for you). But this is a new phenomenon (do you like the AMD pun?) as I've been a Nvidia buyer since the TNT. I didn't plan it that way, money being sensitive Nvidia was the better price/performance choice for me at the time I was upgrading. Thankfully I was able to skip the FX-series and enjoy the 6600GT!

My last purchase was a HD4870, and I once bought a second-hand X800 to tide me over for two months during my AGP->PCIe transition. That is it for ATI with me, other than building other's computer systems, and there it has been Nvidia more often than not.

I'm just sick of the Nvidia bulls**t machine. It seems to me that the last three years Nvidia has ramped up the Whipass rhetoric and dodgy tactics that screw over consumers and especially gamers in order to shore up market position.
    Well, f**k 'em!
    At the moment, AMD/ATI has my respect for at least playing a straight hand (I will agree that they haven't always). I suppose being in a submissive position vis-a-vis Intel will do that to a company. But when they f**k up and deceive, I'll be the first to roast them.
    Technology companies: I don't lie for them, I don't gloss over their failings, I don't downplay their good features, I'm not going to advise others badly based on biases, but nor am I going to play the silent victim of their marketing department. I'm going to point out what a load of lying toads they are with their weasel words and sleight of hand plays whenever I can.

We've already argued to death why the 58xx->68xx wasn't a rename, that is was AMD repositioning their numbering scheme, probably to fit in their upcoming APUs. Was it a good idea? Quite frankly, it was a s**t move. But maybe we will find method in their madness. So can we just move on?

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I quite like it. It's a hassle having to make sure you're translating the previous generation correctly, but it's a better system for the future. Using the archaic system leaves 1/10th of their range for a single dual-GPU card, ala the 5970, while also pushing their high end down as though it wasn't really at the top. Imagine if you're new to computers and someone tells you the 58xx line is the top end. You have to wonder what 59xx is then, if not the top, and get all muddled explaining how it's actually the single GPU top and the real top is the 5970 which, no, isn't two 5870 as the xx70 seems to say, it's two 5850s, etc etc. Saying the 59xx series is top is much simpler, dual GPU indicators can be separate such as the X2, or xx90 suffix.

I also like Nvidia's names, though. It reminds me of the car market. Is there much difference between two cars of different years, but are still part of the same generation? Not really. But its easier for buyers to still say that one car is a '11 and the other is a '10. This is for the case of the 8800GT to 9800GT.

With things like the 8800GTX to 8800GT, it's also easier to just say that it came out in the same year, so it's under the same generation. Just like if a car had two largely different versions of a model released at different times in the same year, both will be a '11 yet each will have a unique suffix like "DX" or "GTO".

9. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Holy crap, Crossfired 6870s destroys the gtx580, for a shade less cash too...

Check out the CF 6870 and gtx580 reviews on techspot for more graphs (you'll have to switch back and forth between reviews). Assuming the 6970 dosn't do the job, ATI could put out a 6870x2 (6890 if you will) , just to tie up the loose ends.

10. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

Is it me or did we still have the nVidia 200 series as nVidias leading cards 9 months ago.
    They'll run out of numbers by xmas 2011

11. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

For me they have delivered what I was hoping for. A blazingly fast card with pretty much every issue of the GTX480 fixed.

I want one.

12. Snips

FYI guys and gals. I've built systems with AMD and ATi products. Some are still in this house. I've also built Intel and Nvidia systems. That gives me the right to criticise or praise whoever the hell I like. It also gives me the right to be able to question or agree with some of the comments on this forum. It's called experience guys and gals. Try and get some. No need to get personal.

Back on topic, the cheapest one I've found is £389.99 from Aria but its a Palit. Scan have a few around the £425 mark.

13. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

You know it's only in the last 18 months or so I've become tech savvy and been reading/contributing to sites like this. In the past (that's 30 odd years gawd bless 'em) though I've been interested in everything from stamps to cars. But I've gotta say, only in the field of tech have I witnessed, so many put finger to keyboard and throw rattles out of prams over what something was called. It's like you don't care how it performs so long as the name on the badge fits with the previous name on the badge! FFS!

So children, if your ready, here's how AMD are naming stuff!

The 5770 is still the 5770 and is called ....the 5770.

Let me repeat that for those of you at the back...The 5770 is still the 5770 and is called ....the 5770.

The 5830 and the 5850 are now replaced (gone eol) by the 6850 and 6870 ...with the 6870 giving NEAR! 5870 levels of performance at a price somewhat less than the 5850. In Translation....

The 6850 replaces the 5830 in terms of price while matching the 460 1gb in terms of performance.
    The 6870 replaces the 5850... with a woopass load of more bang for buck (beating the gtx470 in most scenarios)... Got that?

The 6950 and the 6970 (replacing the 5870) will... could/should give performance levels of between +5870 to +5970 while Antilles, the 6990 will show us what you'll be able to get in the upper/mid range at 28nm, this time next year.

14. leveller

FYI people are getting pissy with you for accusing people of being fanbois just because they're debating the naming schemes. This card isn't a major leap forward and so far it seems quite clear that ATi can trump it with their premium offering, unless someone knows something I don't. So everyone is quite right in NOT going overboard and saying this is a great card, that does NOT make them ATi ass lickers. Thanks.

FYI this forum is FULL of people with experience of both Nvidia and ATi builds, you ain't special.

15. Whitesky

Whitesky Minimodder

Rumor & speculation merely weeks ago, then leaks, hype, and now the full review lands today. Wow! I'm excited, waiting for the first price drop after ATI's new cards

16. Snips

There's that personal thing again. I'll ignore it for now.

Back on topic, just read a killer 2 X 580SLi review showing a 3DMark Vantage over 40K. The P score was actually throttled by the Core i7 965 @ 3750 MHz but still managed 34K. Worked right out of the box apparently.

Will we get an SLi review here Bit-Tech?

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Doubtful, can't say I blame them. Bit have made their fame on offering reviews and articles for the practical enthusiast. Not likely to see reviews on a $1100 graphics setup just because it gives big numbers.

18. Snips

I had actually only quoted a very small part of the review I read. It went on to scalability and how well the current crop of GTX 4XX and now 5XX seem to be doing. As this is mainly an enthusiast forum, there will be some who will build SLi rigs with this card. I'm also thinking when they did this review, one of the geniuses in the secret underground lab they do all this work in, just thought "I wonder what happens if I put another one in!" Yes, he could have been doing anything at the time but I hope he/she/it was thinking of a second GTX580.

19. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

That is the reason we are here, we aren't special here :dremel:

20. leveller

Actually we're ALL special here, just no one person is more special, even if they think they are :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags