1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2010 Thread - Post season washup

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 22 Dec 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I think you're right up to a point. What I think has made this season more interesting is the number of wet races. The cars go slower in the rain, which results in less downforce, less dirty air, and more overtaking. Not forgetting the more difficult driving conditions, the slippery white lines (Mark Webber, I'm thinking of you here) and reduced visibility.

If circuits could have sprinklers built in, so even if the weather doesn't play ball, you can still have a wet race, I think that'd make F1 a lot more interesting.

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Depends on the track really. Tracks like Monaco in the wet are serious epic win, yet I wouldn't see Brazil being an exciting race in the wet really. It made an exciting qualifying, but that was due to it drying out.

3. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Brazil not interesting in the wet? Where were you in 2003? lol

Admittedly it was insane amounts of rain and i firmly believe that someone had left a hosepipe running to get that mad river which cause so much havoc at turn 3.

I think that the cars need designing so that they 'must' leave the air behind it undisturbed after X number of meters. A car that passes under the air so to speak. All that happens with current designs is that the air hits vanes and fins angled upwards therefore pushing the car downwards. Once the car has passed that piece of air it takes time for it to settle down again.

The older skirted cars didn't have this issue because the majority of the downforce was from the vacuum effect created by forcing the air through a tightened channel under the car. Air under travels faster than the air over and thus creates a force downwards, the exact opposite of an aeroplane wing. This way the air wasn't anywhere near as disturbed as with current cars where the air is just thrown upwards in a simple Newtons Law kind of fashion, air hits it at force X and turns upwards thereby forcing the car down at force Y.

P.S. I am not trying to be a smart arse or be condescending or anything, i am sure you know the full working of it. I just think in first causes. My thoughts about various regulations which came after 1994 would probably have you flaming me to death but make perfect sense when thought about.

P.S.2 i Also have a horrible habit of repeating myself and babbling bollocks

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Correct. Tyre battles not in the "supplier" form, but rather in the "Who can make the tyres last" form that we had very early this season. And hopefully, this will remain a factor throughout the season.

As for the vaccuum effect used (Ground effect) - I read somewhere (but can't remember when or where) that it'll become more prominent again Next season or the one after.
    Might eb wrong, though.

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Any tracks interesting with extreme amount of water. A normal amount is just meh. Look at Nurburghring a few years ago, when the Force India's were awful, yet was something stupid like 80 seconds ahead because everyone parked their car in the first corner.

6. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

FP1 is past the half wayt mark, and the firs flying laps are only happening now, thanks to some unexpected rain.

7. Pieface

Pieface Modder

It's the soap that's the problem really.

8. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Whoa whoa whoa hold the freaking phone here! Did you say 'unexpected rain'?? In the Persian Gulf? :lol:

9. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

What other type of rain is there in the desert?

10. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Yep, only 4days of rain and it happenes when F1 comes to town xD

who ever your all praying to, keep at it :thumb:

11. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Lewis fastest in FP2 - by 2 and a bit tenths.

This is going to be interesting. :)

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Here's hoping for a Hamilton win, Alonso DNF due to engine failure and a coming together of the Red Bulls which either takes them both out or relegates Vettel to 3rd or less and Webber to 6th or less. Very unlikely I know but would make for an awesome result!

13. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

All I want now is for Alonso to win by <7 points. Then the Ferrari press conferences will be interesting...

14. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Im going to be horrified by Fernando winning..

Becasue simply, he shouldn't.

Those extra points he got for passing Massa could end up being the winning margin, and most certainly gave him the impetus to push forward to where he is now.. and he got that by cheating. And cheating is wrong.

I still believe that had that been MacLauren, the'd have been booted out of the drivers/constructors championships before the tyres had cooled down.

I'd frankly love to see Webber win, or the two RB's and the Ferrari take each other out and Hamilton coast to a lovely evening victory.

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

This.

But I don't want Alonso to win though.

CMON WEBBER! :rock:

Or, Lewis, but I think it's an outside chance and Vettel kind of deserves it more since he's put in more pole positions, and also so he can give the middle finger to Martin Whitmash and go "crash kid, and still beat-ya, ************!"

16. JWoody

JWoody Oh, were they sparks?

C'mon Webbo:thumb:

17. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

As much as I love Lewis, he's out of the hunt now... so come on Mark!!!!

18. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Cant really disagree with that; you know it is EXACTLY what would have happened.

Off topic - Good to see you up poasting regular again Mankz :thumb:(I've not been checking here as much as i used to )

19. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Such a good quali session there really enjoyed Q3 :) dissapointed to see webber down in 5th and alonso in 3rd :(

20. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Hmmm. Interesting grid. Just need McLaren to tell Jenson to drive into Alonso at the start. Be honest, you know for a fact that Alonso would do it given the same situation.

Joking aside it's gonna be one hell of a first lap :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.