1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2010 Thread - Post season washup

Discussion in 'General' started by alastor, 22 Dec 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

OK. I take it all back. At least its not Alonso.

However, I'm blaming Renault as as fan that likes to be entertained, I know full well they would never just leap out of the way :p

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

No way. Alonso is easily the biggest ***** in F1 today or in the past. One thing made that fact clear to me.

"Knowing now that you only won the race in Valencia as a result of your team orchestrating a crash to result in a safety car, do you still consider it a victory?"

"Yes of course I do."

Complete Knob. It's really satisfying to see that even WITH cheating Ferrari still didn't win.

Back on to the race, I'm still wondering how Vettel didn't get penalized from the restart. Excessive accelerating and braking causing Hamilton to go off the track. He was done forit earlier in the year when it wasn't as severe as this.

Of course Renault shouldn't just get out of the way but it is sad that the biggest potential scrap of the year was ruined by slow drivers. It would have been very different without them in the way as proven by the fact that the lap Kubica pitted Hamilton took 1.4 seconds out of the fastest lap, on pretty knackered tyres.

Meh, its over now in a boring way. Roll on 2011 with KERS back and adjustable rear wings. Might get some proper action again.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I was fully entertained, they kept Whiney Alonso at bay because they were quicker than him and that put a big smile on my face.

Hope that now Vettel is a world champion he will go and get a decent hair cut, scruffy bugger.

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Petrov is now officially on my Christmas card list. :thumb:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH. Sucks to be Alonso. :lol:

5. Canon

Canon Reformed

A little annoyed about the commentators words about Hamilton when he was stuck behind Kubica, it was his own fault. Vettel had a brilliant race, shame about Kobayashi tbh.

6. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Serves you right Ferrari you cheating little ****s.

7. GreatOldOne

The gesticulating between Vitally and his eyebrowness was priceless - as was Petrov's turn in on the Fezza. :D

8. GreatOldOne

Go on Alonso. SQUIRM. ;)

9. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Made me lol before work :) Nice one.

10. GreatOldOne

Heard on the Ferrari team radio:

"Ok. Vitally is faster than you. Can you confirm you understand the message"

:lol:

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

:hehe:

I'm gutted for Webber, but he clearly lacked pace. He has no one to blame but himself for not taking the championship. He would never have overtaken any of the front runners regardless.

Poor strategy on Ferrari's part. Everyone was wary of the Renaults, they should have just played them smarter.

12. Publ!c Enemy

Publ!c Enemy or Richard for short

WooHoo, good for Vettel it was going to happen someday!
    I do feel sorry for Mark Webber though:(
    Odd that McLarens don't want to try the tyres for next season.

13. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Congratulations to Vettel. Ferrari's strategy cost Alonso a potential title today. I thought since the season is over, it would be fun to rate the top 10 drivers.

1. Hamilton 9/10 - Has been world class. Quick all season despite 2nd/3rd fastest car. Made very few big errors (Monza being a notable exception) in an error prone season for all the other title contenders.

2. Kubica 9/10 - Continues to impress despite not driving a top tier car. Very very few mistakes yet incredible speed all season. Is this a result of reduced pressure from not being a WDC frontrunner? Has made a mockery of his team mate. With Massa's current performance, will we see him in a Ferrari in 2012?

3. Vettel 8/10 - Bags of talent. Presented with a rocketship and took it to the WDC. Reminds me of Hamilton in 08 - supremely fast and unbeatable on his day, but also very prone to errors. Had numerous mechanical failures, along with several crashes which almost killed off his WDC challenge. Will be formidable in the future now that the pressure of winning a WDC is off his shoulders.

4. Rosberg 8/10 - Delivered despite given a sluggish Mercedes. Drove with few errors throughout the season yet has shown he has the speed to beat Schumacher with ease. Am curious how he stacks up to the likes of Alonso and Hamilton - hopefully an intriguing 2011 awaits if Mercedes steps up their game.

5. Alonso 8/10 - Unusually inconsistent by Alonso's own very high standards. Multiple driving errors throughout the early part of the season. Signs of his 06 self returning after a dominating run after Silverstone but the previous mistakes proved costly in the end. Completely overshadowed team mate.

6. Button 7/10 - Consistent but poor qualifying. Has not had the pace to truly beat Hamilton over the race weekend. Great early season and was not trounced by his team mate as many predicted, but hasn't exactly been outstanding either.

7. Webber 7/10 - Highs and lows. Some exceptional races (Monaco comes to mind). However has made mistakes throughout the season (Australia, Korea). More importantly, has been beaten by Vettel for the last 5/6 races. Ultimately, this cost him the championship more than anything else. Has developed from 09 to become a true WDC contender, but choked when it counted.

8. Kobayashi 7/10 - Easily best 'rookie' of the year. Finished ahead of Hulk and Petrov in the standings despite an inferior car. Although had a slow start to the season, delivered some breathtaking races (Valencia, GBR, Japan).

9. Sutil 6/10 - Apart from a brain fade in Korea, has show speed this season. Has largely discarded his crash prone image. Still unsure if he is truly a top tier driver.

10. Barrichello 6/10 - A somewhat quiet season. Has he done enough to convince Williams to sign him for another year? I think so.

14. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

This
    and this

Would I have liked Webber to win? Yup, but just seeing Alonso not win is excellent in my books :D

15. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

I'd rather vettel over alonso, vettel is a dummy spitter, but so is hammilton.

Funny how all the commentators were saying how it was an amazing race, best of the year, blah blah blah.

How much overtaking was done on track?

F1 is the pinnicale of motor sport *Apparently* but most of the race changing moves are done by a pit crew. 10 laps and no overtaking, it's just frigging tedious.

Maybe Kers and rear wing adj will make it better for 2011.

16. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Vettel has bags of talent tho Vettlel comes across of too much of a rookie. I wonder if he was in the Ferrari or the McClaren would he of put up such a stong fight? He certainly has the mental strength of a champion with the cool always smiling attitude.

Alonso on his day is truely epic but off his day he is a moaning, whining toss pot. He didn't do enough end of.

Button is a micro story of McClaren this season, poor in qualifying but had race pace. Done well for his first season in a new team

Sutil I felt was hugely disappointing this season.

Hulkenberg should get a mention too. Yes Brazil is a highlight of his career but overall wasn't bad. I guess my low expectations for william ie. Cosworth engine would be forcing them to the back of the midfield group. Mid season he did keep up with Barrichello at points.

Webber while I prefered him over his team mate he really faded. Not a world Champion in my eyes. He just didn't have it mentally for one nor the ability to pull a result out of the bag when needed.

Hamilton Epic driver with talent to rival Alonso. Kinda miss his "rookie" style driving where he went for everything kinda like Vettel this season. Alot wiser driving style and didn't moan like Alonso when things didn't go his way.

Massa Absolutely dreadful

Any predictions on driver movements yet? Can anyone see Massa staying? Kubica would do wonders in a Ferrari or even a red bull depending if Webber feels he has support to drive for them next season.

17. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I don't think either Red Bull or McLaren are going to be changing drivers. Webber did say in his micro interview with the beeb he would be back in 2011 with RBR.

Sam

18. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Best driver of the season in my eyes? Not one of the top 5. Got to be Kobayashi. Just to prove this, watch his last lap at Valencia.

19. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Can't disagree with that. Kobayashi was epic not only in Valencia (where Kubica was also awesome) but his entire race at Suzuka was brilliant. The First pass at the hairpin was sketchy admittedly but for each one after that no one had an answer.

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Much as I hate the outcome of this season, some thoughts that do remain:
    Alonso should have taken this. Out of all the drivers (Save Lewis, but a slow car is also part of the package), he's the one that's driven most like a world champion. When the team orders didn't pla in, he was fast and almost fault free.
    Vettel or Webber? I am happy to see Vettel take this. Webber got lucky a few times. He's not a spectacular driver at all.
    As for Lewis: Head and shoulders above the rest. Save for a few istakes, he's had a flawless season. Had he been in a red bull (heavens no, I don't want that), he'd have sealed this season 3 races ago.

Great for McLaren to be in positions 2 and 3. Though I must be honest: When Lewis was stuck behind Kubica and Button kept driving, I was considering the option that they might use Button to slow Vettel, so that Lewis gets within range again. Jense was out VERY long on those super softs.

Petrov will get better during the winter, and I fully expect to see him with Renault again next year. His ability to fight and his fearlessness have just earned him that.

Schumacher got rather lucky there....

More thoughts:
    I am still half expecing Felipe Massa to call it a day. He's shown that the accident in 2009 did his driving no favours, and that he's over the hill.
    Rubens is likely to stay another season, only to get his rear whipped by Hulkenberg (who will stay at Williams, I am sure)

For next seaosn, I am expecting the Maccas to be right up there in terms of apce again. They know where they went wrong, aand they know the pace they have to match. Adrian Newety might be brilliant, but RBR doesn't have the "push this season and develop next" experience that Ferrari and McLaren have. The reds and Macca know what's needed.
    That's not saying RBR is out of contention. Just don't expect them to blitz anyone like they did this season.
    I am expecting Merc GP to be competitive next year, too, and Renault to score more regularly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.