1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

Thanks man. I did have to mess with the proportions a little (was too narrow for graphics card waterblocks), but I think if anything it looks even more dynamic than before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So a few inches taller than an 800D, but a few inches narrower. Space inside for two 480 rads, one 360 rad, big psu, giant graphics cards etc.

Need to sort out the internal structure and how the panels will attach/function, but all in time.

2. Vehement

Vehement What's a Dremel?

Ive finally got some time to work on my design, and got down to the museum for some ideas.

Check out the cable management
    [​IMG]

The case is inspired by aerospace design.

Some concepts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im trying to make the case as silent as possible, and will likely be an M-atx design.

The bottom radiator will take in air from the vents in the base.

3. geort45

geort45 What's a Dremel?

I have a similar idea to yours, but mine's for exhausting fans, I wonder how fans would perform with our indirect air intakes/outtakes compared to a big hole just where the fan is, have you physically experimented on that?

4. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Ta10n, I think your case is the one other design so far I like enough that I wouldn't mind owning it (besides my own of course ;)).

I think the possibility of incorporating a window into the middle section could potentially lend it a cool look, while mostly maintaining the minimalist aesthetic.

Air vents may be a bit of a challenge without messing up the look (they usually are for me).

One thing I'm not sold on is the optical drive mount; while it's definitely unique, I think a more traditional layout with multiple horizontal 5.25" bays (stealthed, in keeping with the theme) in the front of the upper structure would be more useful and preferable to most users. It looks like you could probably give the user the option of using the bays + a shorter rad, or a longer rad taking up the bay space.

Overall, good work. I'm interested in seeing how it gets fleshed out.

5. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

Thanks mate. Lovin' your concept as well. Reminds me of my FT02, and praise doesn't get higher!

Air vents are already in there actually, see if you can spot them! The design will sacrifice some airflow, but in conjunction with some acoustic foam it should reduce all those fans to almost dead silence. It'll also have a cover over the rear ports as well. So it'll look just like that from all sides.

Good call on the optical drive mount, would be neat but maybe not the most practical. I'm thinking throw maybe 2-3 bays behind a door of some sort. I may even throw a vertically oriented bay in the narrower section. Should be enough room for one.

I'll play around with including a window too. I don't have a huge attachment to windows, but I'll give it a go.

6. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Thanks. Been slacking on posting some of the updates I've been working on though... have to get on that.

Ah, okay... so the vents are on the top/bottom of the upper and lower sections, where it meets the narrower middle section? Definitely going to be a bit restrictive, but it should work + keep the look clean.

I know what you mean about windows. A lot of the time they seem to be more of an afterthought, without any real effort put into incorporating them into the overall design. Couple that with ugly interiors and mismatched components and the appeal is lost.

On the other hand, I think windows, tastefully done, can give a 'peak under the hood' look that shows off the underlying functionality. The engine bay of the Audi R8 comes to mind.

IMO, your design, with its floating design element, is well suited to showing off the interior. I think you could actually make the entire box around the motherboard transparent (well, three sides - keeping the narrow column solid), further enhancing the floating effect. Done in tinted acrylic without visible fasteners and lit up from inside, you could have a very nice look.

7. Demolisher

Demolisher Bear building modder

He guys,

long time not a word from me.

But i am back :)
    with a new and improved version :cooldude:

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think :)

Last edited: 18 Nov 2010
  8. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

I really like the design. did you draw that? and is it tank tracks there at the bottom?

9. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Improved indeed, that looks great!

That is looking fantastic Ta10n! I like the way it's not too big but still allows for two rads in the roof on top of each other so one isn't getting warm air from the other.

This one looks meaner every time I look at it!

10. Razer2007

Revised design. HDD bays moved to the bottom, and I added 2 fill-ports above! With a little whatever you call it to close the compartment..

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. Demolisher

Demolisher Bear building modder

My god, your eyes are cheating!

Jeh, they are. The big suprise of the case.
    tank tracks, so he can drive himself on, let's say, a LAN or something. Because the thing would be to heavy to lift.

Yes, it will drive, even if it is OFF the powernet ;)

12. Razer2007

Sweet! you will just have to include a very soft suspension, and shocks, so that the hardware don't experience a bumpy ride!

13. Blackbriar

Blackbriar What's a Dremel?

Who would want to have a smaller case?
    It would be smaller, but was probably more difficult to build.
    i have an idea , but i don´t know it is better than my first

14. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

What mine is looking like :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

haven't had much time to work on it recently, but I think it is getting pretty close to being ready for this stage at least...

15. geort45

geort45 What's a Dremel?

Some sketches :), some ideas:

• up to quad rad on top, exhausting air
    • single or dual PSU on bottom, placed sideways. If single PSU, quad radiator on opposite side and dual in front. If dual PSU, 2xdouble rads on front. Pumps would sit in this level too
    • wider bottom of the case to allow for fatter rads/fans
    • hole for floppy-sized card reader on side panel
    • instead of single bay, as standard I'd use triple 5.25 bay covers with option for mounting internal fan (although some single covers would be included to be able to cover holes in configurations where a triple wouldn't fit)
    • considering the option to fit several laptop-sized hdds behind the mobo plate
    • the covers of the bottom part (where radiators/psus are) are independent from the doors so they can be removed for cleaning

[​IMG]

16. Tyetree

Tyetree What's a Dremel?

Razer2007 thats the winner right there.

Love the whole thing would order that case now if it was available :)

17. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Oh god, I had just had an unreal idea for a case while lying in bed last night, brb ;)

18. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

19. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Hey guys thought i would just pop in and say that the effort being put in to these and the help from the community here is truly amazing!!

keep up the good work guys!

20. Razer2007

Who ever that person on Youtube was that convinced me to participate, thank you. it is very cool. If I don't win, I will use my deign in my company someday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.