1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Activision looks to sell Bizarre Creations

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

Maybe Sega could buy 'em back to make MSR 2, jk.

3. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I wanted to buy Blur... but mostly I forgot about it and will probably pick it up in a few months when I see it for a fiver, or something.

4. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Basically activision are saying the following "because we aquired this studio and then forced our stupid ideas and commercial management stratagy on them and tried to rush the developers in our usual way, all the products have failed and now we want to get shot of it"

5. Jezcentral

Jezcentral Minimodder

Didn't Blur get trampled by the launched-at-the-same-time Split/Second? It was commented at the time that the two games may have cannibalised each other's sales.

6. licenced

licenced What's a Dremel?

True. The reviews I read of the two placed Blur in first place though, plus (on PC at least) sales of S/S would have been heavily hampered by it only being available via Direct2Drive. Having played them both though, I enjoyed S/S a lot more than Blur

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

there was not enough space in the market.

8. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I would of bought Blur, but I don't want to pay nearly £30 for a PC game.

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Blur was the one that looked like Wipeout with cars, right?
    The demo was ok, nothing really special though.

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Shouldn't they have done some research before developing it. Maybe then they would have found that it didn't have an audience before they spent all the time and money making it.

11. veato

veato I should be working

Erm.... Project Gotham Racing

12. RostokMcSpoons

RostokMcSpoons What's a Dremel?

... shouldn't that have been 'muted response' not 'mooted'...? Give the Editor a rap on the knuckles ;)

I tried Blur in a shop around launch time... it was nice looking, but not not 'wow' enough for a full price game.
    I remember The Club as a good idea, which perhaps would've have got my cash if it had been first-person rather than third-person.

Hopefully they'll find a buyer though - they certainly seem to be competent coders even if they've gone in the wrong direction a couple of times.

13. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

Why the **** did they have them develop this stupid arcade racer spin off instead of the PGR franchise (admittedly itself a bit arcadey, but at least a lot less arcadey)? I hate racing games that have big neon signs everywhere and "powerups", I'm not playing Mario Karts in a skyline for gods sake. Need to buck up their ideas and go back to the awesomeness that was PGR3 and just update it for the next gen platforms now (too late in the game for PS3 and Xbox). Would make a nice 2012/13 launch release (purely my own speculation) title.

14. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

They can't make PGR games because Microsoft owns the license.

15. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I would've bought it but I didn't have the time or money.

16. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

Flatout was a great series. Destruction derby mode was played to death by our LAN party group. Heck we still play Flatout 2 at our LANs. To bad the dev closed up shop. I would love to see it revived.

I bought Blur becuase some said it was fun for LANs but it couldn't compete with Flatout 2 in fun factor. Like I said Destruction Derby mode is the best. I can't comment on single player mode of Blur since I didn't play it more that 15 mins. To many other games have my attention.

As someone else said I think Blur and S/S killed each others sales.

17. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

I too wanted to play blur but never got round to it. It wasn't on steam and seemed expensive.

18. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Some people are so cheap...

19. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Did anyone else read the title as "Activision looks to sell Blizzard"?

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

i bought blur, and the game was just ok. its definitely not the best racing game i've played but its still worth playing. what i really didn't like is it forces itself to be multiplayer. the AI is actually really smart, and i like how you can have up to 20 cars, but you can't customize anything for offline play - theres only the career mode where you HAVE to do what the developers set up.

i agree with kornedbeefy, flatout 2 was an amazing game and its my favorite racing game. with the fo2 community mod packs, the game is even better. if the game just had a few more tracks and if you could customize how much damage players receive the game would be just about perfect to me.

i'd say the worst racing game i've ever played was burnout paradise. the driving in it was so unrealistic, the damage effects applied to the cars were very unimpressive, freeburn is the stupidest most pointless multiplayer feature i've ever seen, the AI is EXTREMELY easy, the tracks are terribly short, and every time you install the game it resets ALL of your progress. the game had a lot of cool concepts and paradise city itself is pretty nice, but everything else was just disappointing. to top it all, you have to pay to get more things such as additional cars.

Tags: Add Tags