1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Predators: 6.5/10

Interesting plot that kept the action moving nicely, but...

*so many nods & winks to the older films that it was just silly
    *big preds & little preds + blood feud = wah?
    *silly fight scenes ( pred vs yakusa )
    * hero being a bit feeble
    *doc/ murderer plot twist

I was left feeling like it could have been a lot better if they had chosen a cast that wasnt so odd & left out the pointless plot twists/ waste of talent that Laurence Fishburne could have brought to the film instead of just being a nutter who'd been there too long..

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I assume you mean Ellen Wong as if you google Emily Wong, you get failure.

Still not seen the film, but will pick it up at some stage.

Watched Four Brother yesterday, entertaining enough film. 4 foster brothers come home to bury their mother who was killed in a supposed grocery store robbery and decide to find the killers.

Nothing spectacular, but I enjoyed it. Good for a beer and fajita night :D

6/10

Whole-heartedly agree with you. The potential was bloody well there.

I didn't like the design of the new predators at all, cast was a shambles, some of the action was abysmal. Sorry, but if the "deadliest killers on our planet" cannot hit something that is standing still 5 metres in front of them, then the predators seriously need to re-evaluate their selection process. The only one that could hit anything was the sniper and she only hit with 1/10 of her shots.

The topher grace twist was completely pointless and added absolutely zero to the film.
    I was gutted when I saw it, total let-down.

Last edited by a moderator: 16 Nov 2010
  3. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Actually, I think you'll find Emily Wong is an investigative journalist on the Citadel in Mass Effect 2.

:D

4. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Never played ME2 :p

I will get around to them at some stage.

5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Anyone else gearing up for a midnight Harry Potter showing? :-D

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

GD it! Game characters are invading my life. (just thinking of Ada Wong in Resident Evil too)

Too many Wongs don't make a right.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Right. That's it.

Out. Now.

Don't forget your coat.

:sigh:

8. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

YUP!

9. SuicideNeil

Expendables: 7/10

Plot was alright, action was great, but some of the characters and dialog just seem rather meh:

The General: baddy- not so baddy-baddy-goody-baddy-dead?
    Arnie & Bruce willis were only in it for 2 minutes, hardly worth it.
    Dolph Lundgren's character didnt make an awful lot of sense, at any point.
    Jet Li seemed under used.
    Sub-plot of Jason Strathom & his girlfriend seemed a bit incongruous ( Charisma Carpenter- she looks different to her Buffy days <3 )
    Mickey Rourke character was underused or a bit superfluous.

Needed to be a bit less wishy washy with the plot and characters, but overall it was quite a good film still- automatic shotgun was immense :D

10. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

HP7 was ok. I guess by this point it's just about going through the motions for the filmmakers and the audience.

Now the real movie of the weekend was Layer Cake. Flaming brilliant.

11. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Ended up going to see it on friday as a me and some friends ended up outside a cinema and thought it was worth going to check if there were any spaces left. I wasn't disappointed, but then I wasn't expecting the film of the year. I don't think that it makes a whole lot of sense though.

I also watched Fight Club for the first time. Turns out it isn't actually about a fight club.

12. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Saw Let Me In today and felt like it was a waste of money.

To explain: Let Me In is a Hollywood remake of the Swedish hit Let The Right One In. The remake wasn't necessarily a bad film, but surely the point of making a decent remake is to add something to the story. My biggest problem was that they basically simplified the story and retold it almost scene by scene, with some very minor plot structure changes.

Ok so maybe the idea was to make a English remake so that more people will get to see this great story unfold on screen, since the majority of people may not be interested in foreign films and world cinema???? Well it turns out all these fools who wouldn’t have watched the original couldn't take the film seriously and erupted in laughter at scenes which are extremely far from comical.

As a huge fan of the original and the book this film added nothing apart from Hollywood make-up and CGI, and to no great effect.

Let the right one in 9.5\10
    Let me in 5\10 (maybe 9\10 if you haven’t seen the original)

13. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Watched Unstoppable today. Very good movie.

Also watched The Perfect Murder, Entrapment, and Facing the Giants yesterday. I don't remember all of the content but they were good. lol

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Was forced to watch Remember Me last night... After getting over the damn Twilight actor (no, I haven't gone low enough to see THAT) it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd thought. Even without anyone sobbing against my shoulder (too much, anyway) I still watched it through and at the end felt like with a couple of gallons less syrup it might have been oh-kay.

Also first time I watch a movie w/o a couple of beers in a long while.. A couple might actually have helped not get sickened by the overly romantic bs and concentrate in the movie instead.

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I saw that one in theaters, IMO it was great until the end... Which was a bit too much.
    I mean really? He has to die in the freaking twin towers?
    Anyway, good movie which a lot of people wrote off because of the lead actor.

Also saw Layer Cake and the new Harry Potter. Layer Cake was like a Guy Ritchie movie at half pace.. Harry Potter was fine given it was based on the most boring half of any book in the series.

16. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah it really was quite a huge "oh please"-moment. But yeah other than that a positive surprise.. Maybe I need to start listening to recommendations from those girls. Both also said they liked Hurt Locker, so their taste for movies can't be all bad. :D

And yeah I remember liking the Layer Cake. Maybe I should re-watch it some day as I can't remember anything else about the whole flick. Oh and Potters... The first one or two were horrible, but since then I think they've changed the theme of things and I've actually liked some of them (can't remember the names). Also based on IMDB I should probably watch also the ones I haven't seen..

17. SuicideNeil

The A-Team: 6/10

Lots & lots of over the top action sequences, but the plot was just a load of non-sense really- trying to be one of really 'ooooooh, now it makes sense' kind of films but just failed badly in the process. Cameos by the original stars was nice, though pretty much pointless ( as the guys said in a magazine article, most of their stuff was cut so they ended up being on screen for about 10 seconds ).

Whole thing is lined up nicely for a sequel though, so that might turn out better if they stick to a more straight forward plot.

18. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Saw the new Harry Potter last Wednesday. Meh.

Emma Watson though, phwoar.

19. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

No no no Layer Cake was gooood! Especially when he offs matey, the guilt scene was very good afterwards i thought.

dude shes like 17 hahahahaha

Anyway, I saw 'The Crazies' standard fair but the whole scene of driving away from the nuke was really good. I especially liked that they heard the countdown from 34 seconds so giving lots of time to frett and flapp about :D

20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

parsnip, for heaven's sake, use some spoiler tags!

I just watched Layer cake, gets 7.5/10 from me. It's good and enjoyable, but just never really went to the realm of great.
    Also, Erasing David, docufilm about privacy, it's not bad, but i think it could have been a lot better. 6.5/10
    Last i watched Takers, which was pretty much OK for some brainless action-movie watching. 7/10