1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Do you believe in ghosts?

Discussion in 'General' started by SeT, 17 Nov 2010.

1. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

Paranormal phenomena is difficult to say whether it truly happens or not. How many of the ghost hunting shows have we seen investigate supposedly haunted locations and come up with no(or very little good) evidence. All evidence that I've seen can easily be faked or explained away.

On the other hand are personal experiences. I've had a few things happen to me that I cannot explain. Two recently in my new house(new to me, it's about 80 years old). First, something woke me up late at night(not sure what time as my wife has a habit of setting stuff in front of the clock). While I was laying there, I heard and felt something that felt like there was a rubber band running the length of the house that someone snapped and let vibrate. I was able to replicate the sound/vibration from a clothes-line hung in the basement by pulling it tight(it hangs pretty slack) and plucking the side closest to the bed-room. I can't explain why that happened late at night with my wife and I both in bed.

Second was at 3am this Tuesday morning. I was a little sick the previous night so I slept on the couch. I woke up a little after 3am, I had been asleep since about 6:30 Monday night. I just woke up, wide awake. I was rolling around trying to find a comfy position again and heard a low gravely voice say "Hey. Quit." That scared the hell out of me. I sat straight up and looked around and of course my wife was in bed asleep, no one else there. I lay back down trying to get comfy again and start to hear what sounds like one of our plastic cups getting picked up and dropped a couple inches. Again, I couldn't find the source of the sound. I then laid back down and just turned the TV on to drown out other noises and get my mind off of all that and hopefully get back to sleep.

There have been other experiences that I'd love to be able to explain another way but can't. So, what're the thoughts of this community? Do you believe or not? Any personal experiences?

2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

At work we hear things all the time, today infact I got there and the boss had already opened up but wasn't there. I heard footsteps upstairs (the floorboards are quite creaky and are very distinctive) so I presumed he was moving stock about or at the toilet. Then he walked through the front door as he had been out to get some coffee's. There was no-one upstairs.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Although I dont actually believe in ghost I have seen and experienced some very strange things that cant be explained away :worried:

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I have seen a ghost in my house as has my wife. My wife swears that she has seen ghosts for years in this house but I had never seen one up until a couple of months ago when both of us saw the same ghost.

5. knuck

knuck Hate your face

hem. No

6. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

That's kinda how I am/was. Especially with my first experience(not one of the above). I would have sworn there was an intruder in the house but couldn't find any reason for what I saw. I even woke my parents up with pissed them off but we searched, all windows and doors locked/intact. No reason at all for what I saw.

7. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

Yeah, loads

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I don't believe in ghosts, Santa or god of any shape, size or form.

Also think it's largely about childhood and what parents have told and how well they've explained stuff that has happened.

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Ouch. I do believe God was just compared to a childhood bedtime story :duh:

Just kidding, don't start flaming :worried:

I wouldn't say I believe in ghosts, but like some I have seen and heard some things which are either very hard to or just can't be explained away. It's not something I give a lot of thought to.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Funny how many people's ghost stories start with: "I woke up late at night...". :p

No hypnogogic hallucinations then. Or just hearing the normal sounds a house makes when it settles at night but being too sleepy to make proper sense of it (especially as you are not used to hearing the sounds a house makes when it settles at night, because you are, well, usually asleep at that time).

No cats kicking things over, no mice or rats at work, no vibrations from traffic, central heating systems coming on or going off (even when they are off at night, the pump may cycle to prevent the pipes from freezing up in winter). Nothing, like, as ordinary as that. It's gotta be ghosts.

Common things commonly happen. Ghosts, however, have never been reliably photographed, filmed or witnessed.

11. Psycho

Psycho Average

I didn't believe in ghosts but a month since my father passed away strange things started happening that didn't before his passing...Like the faucet of the bathroom opening on its own at night...

12. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Short answer, no.

13. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I think a lot of people underestimate the mind's ability to create order out of chaos. It's a useful survival skill when it's dark or you're sleepy for example but you do end up with an awful lot of false positives where completely innocuous/random background noise or pattern of light or outside movement is translated into something completely different by your mind trying to find some sort of recognisable pattern.

14. Unicorn

One thing I will say is that I have awesome natural night vision and spatial perception in the dark. My eyes seem to adjust to low light and even completely dark conditions really quickly.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You're a vampire. I always suspected.

16. Unicorn

Rumbled! :worried:

17. Psycho

Psycho Average

18. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

I figured you'd be the one to come in with something like this. I have no proof either way whether my experiences were hallucinations or not. As you said, there's never been a reliable photo or witness. There have been several times that I've dismissed something happening as a hallucination. These few examples that I gave, I woke up and was fully aware of other things happening such as heating or a/c coming on or going off or the cats locations. When I woke up and heard the voice/empty cup sound I was aware of other other sounds also that are normal for the house such as the heat was on and as I laid there with my eyes open debating with myself whether to call off sick the next day, I heard the voice. The other one with the vibration, I woke up but was laying awake and aware of other things. The first thing I looked for in the case of the vibration was my wife's cats and considering they both ran to the edge of the bed they were as curious what the vibration was as I still am.

Ghosts is just a fun way explaining it, really. As I said, several times I've told myself I was dreaming and/or hallucinating, I just don't think that's what was happening in a few cases and I'd love to know the truth there.

19. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

No.

In my opinion, ghosts do not, have never, nor will they ever exist.

People see what they want to see, people hear what they want to hear, people imagine what they want to imagine.

I don't believe in ghosts, or any other part of that paranormal BS (Mediums, psychics, etcetera), and surprise surprise, I never see, hear, or think I saw or heard any of it. There is a reasonable explanation for everything we see and hear, and to me, it's absurd to think it's "paranormal" just because you don't happen to have a working knowledge of why something happened.

20. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Was in our old house with my brother, standing around the kitchen table in the morning, He always had warm milk in his bowl, We're standing there and as hes pouring the hot milk into the bowl, It suddenly flys off the table and smashes into the wall a good 6-7 feet away.

Was freaking weird we both just stood shocked for a while, He was holding a pan of hot milk in one hand, I was holding cereal and normal milk in the other