1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Morning frost vs You

Discussion in 'General' started by wyx087, 16 Nov 2010.

1. Psycho

Psycho Average

It'd melt due to massive flamewars

2. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I had a towel on the dash the other week before we got some sealant on it. It was leaking in the middle of the screen then too.

I've got newspaper under my carpets on the floor too to soak up and water there. :D

The joys of classics car ownership. :D, Dave knows what I mean, :D

4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Oh dear god... if you get a guy standing by your car wearing a combat jacket, it's probably be taking a picture to show Bit-Tech how bad it is :p

Not true, you'd be frozen solid by my Ice Cold attitude towards life.

5. Psycho

Psycho Average

Touché.

6. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Just don't go back inside whilst you wait for the car to warm up, someone will have your car away quicker than you can blink.

7. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

First thing i do in the morning when its icy is go out start the car, and come straight back in to get ready for work, have my breakfast and a brew!

The joys of living where i do i suppose.

On days when i CBA to go out i have an old PCI network card that ive bent the back plate on slightly, its by far the best scrapper ive ever used!

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

during a winter holiday to Canada, the car my family rented have remote engine start, it was fantastic. just start it from hotel room then go down for breakfast. that's about 6 years ago, i wonder why this feature didn't make it here.

how about a steering wheel lock, start engine, keep wheel lock on. and go back for breakfirst? i have one from way back, before cars had alarms.

9. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

^knowing my luck if I did that some smart arsed child would get and roll my poor Rover into the river opposite

10. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I don't think your allowed to have a car idling unattended in the UK, which i expect is why they've never been imported.

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

they are very common where i live. i was gonna put one in my car but decided i dont need it that badly.

12. profqwerty

profqwerty What's a Dremel?

I used to use a fan heater with a long extension cord and one of those old school mains timers to set the car warming up 15mins before I leave for work, had the car nice and toasty inside. Unfortunately as soon as you start moving the cold air rushes in :(

In Bristol the first 10 mins of the trip is normally stop start traffic so just drive with head out the window til it's warmed up. Old diesel takes aagggeeesss.

Worst is the sides windows won't go down, so a splash of cold water solves that, and plenty of WD-40 into the locks / moving bits keeps from freezing :)

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Turbo timers aren't illegal, neither are remote start systems. It's not that the car is left unattended, it's that the insurance companies won't pay out if they find out the keys were in it and it gets nicked.

14. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Tbh they probably are, much like under sill lighting and excessive exhausts its just that people are rarely done for it.

The Road Traffic (Construction and use) Regulations 1986;

Regulation 98; the driver of a vehicle shall, when the vehicle in stationary, stop the action of any machinery attached to or forming part of the vehicle so far as may be necessary for the prevention of noise or of exhaust emissions.

Regulation 107; no person shall leave, or cause or permit to be left, on a road a motor vehicle which is not attended by a person licensed to drive it unless the engine is stopped and any parking brake with which the vehicle is required to be equipped is effectively set.

Highway Code legal requirement; Rule 214

Parking. You must switch off the engine, headlights and fog lights.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Steering wheel locks are?

And here I was happily living under the "Canadians don't even lock their front doors" stereotype.

16. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

haha, I constantly have a soaked drivers side carpet :( haha. Need to weld on a new floor pan I think! Get it through the winter then weld it up! And weld up my project... whoops!

Your windscreen, the leak in the middle of the screen might well be the join in the rubber seal. When I stick them in, I put the join at the bottom which usually solves the problem. The rubber could be perished a little as well. Luckily windscreen removal and refitting is ridiculously easy in a mini!

Don't you think that, despite how effective it is, the mini heater is a crap design! Also, if you drain your coolant and/or take the heater out, don't ever forget to fill it. If you don't it will still warm you up... but with smoke! been there my friend! :duh:

17. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I think you have to be fairly retarded, using a pretty piss poor window scraper to do it. But still... I keep away from them nonetheless. Something about scraping any part of my car doesn't sit well with me :/

My Aunt and Uncle out in Toronto have this on their cars. He was diagnosed with a blood disorder a few years ago which causes his blood to thicken to dangerous levels in cold conditions. It's not uncommon to see him out raking up leaves in Autumn in full winter clothing (Hat, scarf, gloves, coat) when most others are just going round with light coats and jumpers on. He starts the car from the house in the mornings and has it well defrosted and warmed up, then he just has to spend a few seconds between the house and the car in the cold :)

18. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

My car refuses to start on cold/damp mornings. Old tech low displacement 4cylinder single carb with single coil and manual choke. I don't have internal heating till the engine is warm. Thankfully one of the previous owners upgraded it to a larger (probably small truck) battery.

On a good note.. here comes summer!

19. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I've had a few frosty windscreens in the morning. Up here in Glasgow it's been pretty chilly of late.

My solution has been not to schedule any meetings earlier than 11:00. By that time I'm usually nicely awake, showered and fed, and the ice has melted.

Hope this helps!

20. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

And while you're drinking your morning tea, I'll cut the steering wheel, remove the lock, then drive away with my new car that only cost me the price of a steering wheel. :p

In Texas it is illegal to leave a car running unattended, and the owner faces a possible misdemeanor fine of up to $200. And, as krikkit mentioned, insurance companies can refuse to cover losses if they find that your car was stolen while you left the engine running.

Some of you may be lucky to live in an area where you can do this. I'd rather just scrape the ice off, then get in the car and go. The car will either warm up in a couple minutes, or I'll get where I need to go before I freeze.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2010