1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Morning frost vs You

Discussion in 'General' started by wyx087, 16 Nov 2010.

1. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Even if it is on private land?

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

not really. As far as I know most heaters work the same way.

What I don't like is the fresh air vents, that you need open to keep the side windows demisted, but it supercharges freezing cold air into the car, so you end up battling the heater against it, :D

We managed to seal the leak in the middle with some windscreen sealant, the other one must be a bit bigger, needs more sealant, :D

Not sure if I dare remove the windscreen, as I suspect that the bit of metal the seal sits on is going to be rusted to hell in certain places, :D

3. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

from some one who lives in a area of the US that get on average 6 feet of snow this is the best way to clear snow and ice from your car

[​IMG]

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

A cloth bag full of rice keep in some out of the way place (under a seat or something )will help the interior condensation issues. It'll keep the moisture of the air in your car to a minimum and the added moisture from you entering might not be enough to cause the clouding. Doesn't always work but sometimes does, go figure, i thought it was a stoopid idea but have heard of results.

5. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I detest scraping my car off. When its sitting at nearly 0 degrees in January its best to just get the chunks off and then let the car warm up for 5-10 minutes and let it all melt off. That can be hard going to work (I cut it close all the time) but for leaving work not a big deal. And the warm water is a good idea, except for the fact of it freezing all over the driveway and making an ice rink. Having a garage is awesome too btw...

6. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Yep, even on private land it is illegal to leave your car running unattended.

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

My back window heater doesn't even work, and the central locking only works when there's just the right amount of frost. So when I get to work I have to go round locking all my doors.

8. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

How dare you think your land is private, not to an insurance company >.<

Upon seeing someone defrosting their windscreen this morning at 7am I decided that the best idea is just to put a towel/blanket/thing over the windscreen!

9. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Start the engine, whack the heater on full to get the air flowing.

Then commence scraping, either you warm up before the car does and you have clear windows, or you take forever and the car does the melting for you. Solved.

10. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Stick an old towel across the windscreen and between the doors when you leave it for the night.

As others have said - its not really a good idea to put boiling water on frozen glass. Kind of reminds me of a woman where I used to work who used a scour to get sap off her car...

11. Kasvain

Kasvain What's a Dremel?

Here in Finland we use piece of plastic, eg. 15cm x 20cm perspex sheet.
    Then just scrape your icy car windows it is the fastest way to get rid of ice.
    scraping ice is no problem at all everyone does it every morning when going to work:)
    or then buy Webasto put it on one hour before you leave and the car is warm and ice free.

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm going to go right ahead and admit to using old credit cards or other rubbish plastic cards like subway loyalty cards etc as scrapers on the 'rents car windows when I was younger and being left to school in the mornings. Crude, but it worked :thumb:

13. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Most cars will warm up within 5 minutes. If you're one of those with a fancy cloth roof, though, you may not be so lucky.

My advice, get one of these and one of these.

14. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Hmmm... Current early morning temperature: -23C (-7F). Expected to drop to -40C (-40F) or less by December. Current temperature: -6C (21F), but with 15cm of snow falling right now it'll warm the place up a bit (And that's "Light snow").

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cask0261

Summer average temperature: +35C (95F) - +45C (113F)

Defrosting method? Brush off snow, scrape off ice, unplug engine block heater (If temp below -25C (-13F)), start engine, put blower on max heat defrost, drive slowly.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

A 6-page thread on frost. In less than 3 days.

*gasp*

16. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Proof positive that everyone has a comment about everything. Even something is trivial as frost.

I suggest we switch to something more related to yummy foods. Like frosted donuts, frosted milk shakes and so on... :thumb:

17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

But what if I don't have a 45 magnum in the glovebox or a shotgun in the back?

18. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

big mike gets you

19. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

If big mike gives me a hug and holds my hand for a bit, I'll update my status to in a relationship.

talladega likes this.
  20. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Ziiiing.

talladega likes this.