1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Bärsärkar-gång, 25th December, no update; Every Who down in Whoville says...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Mach, 31 Jan 2010.

1. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Is it possible to set a graduated change for the dial using LCD smartie? I'm only asking because if I were to implement a similar dial, it would be a 'speedometer'/'tachometer', and those need slower sweeps rather than jumping to the desired value.

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Me too & I drool at the haaauuuuge range of skills/techniques throughout this absolutely awesome project log :jawdrop::rock::clap::thumb:.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Moar awesome. I just love this log. :D

4. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Impressive to say the less

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Last edited: 16 Nov 2010
  6. ringoiom

ringoiom What's a Dremel?

Just read this from start to finish in one sitting......WOW

I love the theme and the work thats gone into this is beyond amazing!!!!!

I cannot wait to see the final result

7. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thank you voigts, coming from a master of retro details that means alot!

:) It funny you should say that. I usually don't pay much attention to the task manager (unless something locks up) but with the meter jumping around I find myself asking what the heck is running alot more than I used to.

Thanks Kilmoor the log will likely continue past the end of the story. Just a few more installments left. Bit of a project management problem ;)

Thanks mav2000 but nothing pedestrian about your work.

Yes it's possible to smooth the response. See here : http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Smoothing

but you might want to check out this before hand:
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=193857

Thanks Waynio!

Moar on the way! Thanks stonedsurd!

Thank you Fabou!
    How do you find this stuff? :duh:Its like the Seven Degrees of Cheaps - How many moves does it get to something questionable from something innocent? :) Besides, for a buck, I think it'd make an excellent model paint mixer :idea: ...yeah, yeah, a paint mixer. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :worried:

Thanks ringoiom!

Edit:
    Oh yeah, bit of lesson learned last night. The acid etching primer didn't etch. More likely than not I didn't get all the polish off it. I was putting it together and the paint peeled off like tape. The folks over at the model train forums suggested that baking is the key to get good adhesion and recommended scalecoat paints. Waiting on paint to button up the meter.

8. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

A few pictures to tide you over until the painting is complete.
    [​IMG]

I figured the meter would be seen from slightly above most times so its canted up. You can see how cleanly the paint peeled off.
    [​IMG]

The etched plate on the back.
    [​IMG]

The back polished, waiting for more paint.
    [​IMG]

Rounded the mounting nut to make it lower profile and gave it a quick polish.
    [​IMG]

The heat from the soldering cracked the original glass so I cut a new piece, ground it to size, and drilled a new hole for the meter adjustment screw. The edges are a little rough but they should be hidden behind the edge of the meter case.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking and many thanks to my sponsors!

Bitspower
    [​IMG]

Galaxy
    [​IMG]

HardwareLabs
    [​IMG]

Waynio and Kilmoor like this.
  9. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

even if they aren't hidden mate you might leave a little big of grunge around the edges. Could definitely add to the aesthetics of the case (assuming it fits with the feel your looking for).

On a side note I'm in love with this project!!! Everytime you make an update it is the first project that I check, such creative work man, glad you decided to do a SteamPunk project because you clearly have a knack for it :thumb:

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Look at this mod,
    This mod is amazing
    Give it a lick
    --it tastes just like cheesecake...

Spaceraver and stonedsurd like this.
  11. Cheapskate

--drilled a hole in glass--

Ah, heck. You did something impossible again.:hehe:

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ultra high level of modding, loved every update & still hooked, I mean wow even rounding off & polishing a tiny detail like a nut which I'd expect to be fiddly as hell :hehe:, such an amazing mod & an exemplary show of skill/patience :dremel:, I just love it so have some rep Mach :D :thumb:.

13. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Thanks! glad you're enjoying it. I'm trying a crackle paint effect that'll add some ageing and, depending on how it works out, a patina once it's finally mounted.

Whaa... a Nexxo haiko, (counts syllables), no, no, I do believe its a new signature. :D Thank you very much.

Naw, that was easy. A tupperware container of water and a diamond bit in the dremel and Bob's your uncle.

Why thank you Waynio! I counter with a rehash of the copper sleeving discussion. :thumb:

-----
    While I'm waiting on paint, a little backtracking on sleeving. If you recall, heavy copper was the favorite with the green tubing.
    [​IMG]

To make the sleeving work and keep it from fraying, I cut brass tubing to make retaining collars.
    [​IMG]

The longer ones are easier to work with but it's too much (yes, I said it) brass. So smaller collars it is...
    [​IMG]

I also tested out the suggestion about removing strands of copper to show more green tubing. I tried one with 2 strands but it collapsed on itself. 3 strands works but I don't like it as much. It loses something when the pattern is disrupted.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking and many thanks to my sponsors!
    Bitspower
    [​IMG]

Galaxy
    [​IMG]

HardwareLabs
    [​IMG]

dark_avenger likes this.
  14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The way you have done the tubing looks fantastic, a very nice effect as it is.

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

That looks incredible.

16. Razarach

Razarach Minimodder

Impressive work ;)

17. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

Your mod is progressing very nicely! Your attention to detail and creativity in sourcing parts is superb :).

The heavy braided version, without any stripping, looks the best.

Also, about the power switch leds: find black paint that lets UV light through and paint the SMD led with it. I have several E27 CFL "black light" "bulbs" that have been treated like that; ie. painted with proper black paint so that only the UV light gets through, not all the near-violet, so stuff like that indeed exists.

If not paint, piece of filter glass from some company that makes photographic filters might work, too. They often have very wide variety of wavelength patterns around.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

^^ Sounds a good tip, looking amazing Mach :thumb:.

19. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Agreed.

Great stuff, Mach :thumb:

20. Cheapskate

The normal sleeving works fine.:D