1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How fast CPU for bigadv?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Synay, 19 Nov 2010.

1. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Hi guys.

Following your advice and some great reviews I bought an Asus P7P55D-E board with delivery tomorrow. As it will be setting up and overclocking day I have a question. How fast my i7 860 needs to be to successfully run bigadv? When I tried running on stock, it would just about make it before deadline and that's of course not good. Thanks for any advice.

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I've heard 3.8GHz as a bare minimum. You have to take into account the time to upload as its a large WU and if you have crappy broadband like mine, you need to finish several hours before the deadline in order to give enough time to upload.

3. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

Several hours? That sounds bad. I mean how big the results file can be? The 6701 is already about 42M large. How large are we talking about? And are the points really worth it? When I tried bigadv it was the most memory I've ever used as well. Core itself took about 1.5GB of ram.

4. cdb

cdb No comment

An i7 860 at 3.8GHz on smp7 will just about cope with a 2684, coming in about 3 hours or so under time. 2 fermi gpus can put it over depending on the wus.
    All the other bigadvs are about a day under time. Results take about 8-10mins to upload on a virgin broadband (1.5meg upload) connection.

Vmware running linux in windows did take alot longer for the results to upload from completion. (a good hour or more quite often)

Last edited: 20 Nov 2010
  5. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Mine don't take hours, usually about 20 minutes. But a months-worth puts me over my broadband limit <sigh> If you find the up/downloads interfere with smooth running of the client, there is a third-party app., called Langouste, which separates the uploads from the client, allowing it to get cracking on the next unit without waiting for the upload, which then takes place in the background. I've never felt the need to use it.

6GB memory was recommended for the Linux version, and I've seen people saying Windows requires less.

Only you can make that judgement :D