1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress T.R.O.N [V4]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by andy_mcp1, 26 Sep 2010.

1. Nicksen

Nicksen Danish Kid :D

Awesome work there! :)

2. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

I no longer associate your mod with the movie... its come to the point where I associate the movie with your mod :hehe:

I saw the most recent trailer in IMax this weekend and throughout the whole trailer I was thinking "OHHH MMYY GODD!!! I NEED THIS!" and right when it ended I thought "Hmm... I wonder if Nicksen has made an update..."

Such sweet progress mate, and I like the buttons, I've been planning a few cases that will use a similar idea for buttons so I'm excited to see what you do with them!

3. andy_mcp1

andy_mcp1 I may have an I.D-10T error...

I used 240 dry /400 dry / 600 wet and then used Novus 3 stage polish. Takes a wee while like the figures you quoted to get it glossy, but worth the effort in the end!

Thanks for that :thumb:, hope these next set of photos will sustain your needs till the next update :D.

LOL, I hope I won’t disappoint and live up to the movie with the finished product!

Well, tonight I began work on cutting the tape to length and gluing some of the spacers in place. A couple of my mates came round with a bag of beers :D just as I was about to start applying the tape to the case. So, I roped them in to giving me a hand with installing it :dremel:.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My mate James had brought round some tools and parts for the cabling mods which he is kindly lending me for use hopefully later this week. Cheers James!:thumb:
    [​IMG]

It would appear Paul had one too many by this point and resulted in him talking gibberish to my cat... what was the number for the psychiatric ward? :D
    [​IMG]

Next hour was spent setting up the light tape and trying to get the lighting right for taking a photo with my rather old camera. Am considering calling one of my mates who's a pro photographer to take some short of the final case, but will be a week or two before I'll be able to arrange for that, providing he's available. Anyway, these shots will have to do for now, (colours aren’t quite accurate in comparison to the actual colours which are more accurately shown in my early post of the first trial run).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I am in love with that lighting :clap:. Looks awesome, keep it up!

5. jaffa

jaffa What's a Dremel?

My first appearance on Bit-tech and i've got my Movember tash on the go... You just can't make this stuff up!! :-D

Good work on the case lad and a well deserved beer.

I'll remember and pick up motherboard PWR switch/HDD LED headers today from work, along with some molex female HDD pins so we can customise most of the cables.

6. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

WHOA! :jawdrop: Looks awesome :thumb:

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

LOL Awesome :lol: :thumb:.
    Looks flipping awesome lit up :thumb:.

8. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Hey Andy, check your PMs ;)

9. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I LOVE THE BLUUUEEEE

10. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe: I guess that means congrats are in order :D, congrats mate :thumb:.

11. paz45

paz45 What's a Dremel?

This is coming along very nicely, Great work

12. Nicksen

Nicksen Danish Kid :D

This surely sustained my needs :p

13. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Verry nice lightning, The right panel is solid gleud is that wright?

14. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Where'd you get that light tape from, btw?

15. andy_mcp1

Yay, MOTM winner, Oct 2010

Cheers! :thumb: Will do, another few weeks and it'll be done and dusted or polished as it may be :D

Thanks James! Cheers for the help last night, and the beers :D, appreciated! Looking forward to testing the rig at LAN this Sat!

Glad you likey! :D

Ta, not long till it's finished I'm hoping!

Good show! :thumb:

Thanks! Yeah, the panel is solidly glued to both the main acrylic chamfered edge via super glue and to the back of the MB tray with Araldite. I had sanded the piece down to fit snugly, but in the process of clamping it after gluing the piece shifted and was indented into the case by a fraction so didn’t quite get the super crisp line of perfection I was after :duh:. A learning point for next time :D

Cheers! Bought the tape direct from LightTape uk - http://www.lighttape.co.uk/. The guy to contact is mike.hardcastle@lighttape.co.uk. The overall package isn’t cheap in comparison to LEDs, but if it’s one of the main features it's worth it.

Thanks! :thumb: Has already inspired me to start thinking of the next build (can at least start the planning even though it'll be a good 6 month before the funds are in place to attempt the next project :D)

Going to have night off as I'm feeling pretty shattered with the overtime being put in at work, though I might venture into the workshop/conservatory to measure a few bits up in prep of making the fan brackets.

16. andy_mcp1

P.S

A BIG thank you to all that voted for me in MOTM, much appreciated!! :rock:

17. andy_mcp1

Snow and quing on the roads = 4 hours to get home from work, (left at 5pm and got home at 9pm!!!):wallbash: So no work done on the case again tonight (too late for using the jigsaw).

So a quick play with Sketch-up, Kerkythea and paintshop... a sneak peak of my latest early concepts for the next project.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I'll get some work done on the case tomorrow and have something more tangible for the next update.

18. 0rbibital

0rbibital What's a Dremel? Stop asking that!!

I love this pic really makes it feel like tron

19. andy_mcp1

Thankfully the traffic was nowhere near as bad as last night and was able to do some work on the case :clap:. I was distracted for a wee while looking up peripherals :D, just need to wait for the funds to be in place...

Tonight I cut the last of the screen spacers and sanded down the screen edges to neaten things up a little. I glued the spacer onto the screen and squeezed it into place (a little tight for manoeuvring). Then came the difficult task of gluing it to the case. I'd run out of Araldite and only had super fast drying (literally a few seconds) super glue. I just and no more managed to apply the glued to the 8 feet/spacers and hand clamp the screen to the case till it had bonded, which didn’t leave much room for error due to the quick dry element :worried:. Thankfully all turned out well, though a quick scrub to remove excess glue will be required at some point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also cut the MDF moulds for the fan brackets this evening which I'll bend and glue into the case tomorrow. Off work tomorrow and intend to get a lot done. Will include soldering wire to the power switch, drilling a hole to fit it in and then installing the final component set up for a hardware test at a LAN session on Sat :clap: which will require a re-installation of windows steam and a number of games :sigh:.

The case should be pretty much finished by next weekend, I'm hoping, as it will only require the cable shortening and the final side panel (and locking arrangement) to complete this project.

Will post a biggish update tomorrow with the components installed and it all lit up. :thumb:

Last edited: 26 Nov 2010
  20. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Looks real sharp. Liking this build more every time I see it. Peanuts -N- beer on standby for next update :D