1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CD Projekt to fine Witcher 2 pirates

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

yeah we'll see how that goes... the pirating community for games is so large that my guess is they will only catch a small % of them. And presumably will have to fine people out the ass to pay for the legal fees they are bringing on. I generally am not much for DLing games and I try to support the developers but lets face the facts... many many people do not share that same mentality and the prospects of catching a significant number is slim to none

3. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Well it's a trade-off, there's no DRM, but they're going after the people who just want to flat-out steal. However if we're talking about countries without existing anti-piracy laws that they can be bothered to enforce, you add the legal fees to the piracy losses and they could send themselves bankrupt.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Have fun with that, chaps.

Didn't need a threat to get my money, after the insane amount of hours I spent in The Witcher, despite the abhorrent tages system that was in there at first.

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's a Dremel?

Will I be able to fine them if their game don't work propperly on my PC?

6. blink

blink stay cold

I really, really hope this works for them. And I hope the fine is double what it would cots just to purchase the game. Alot is riding on them being successful at this actually. It could end DRM altogether. Normally I would balk at playing the rat but I would not be opposed to turning in anyone who was pirating this game. At the very least, the rest of the gaming community should aid them in shaming and ridiculing anyone who pirates this game.

I didn't even play the first iteration but I may go out and buy Witcher 2 just to support them.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

No DRM? Good.
    Going after pirates? Good.

Wish them success.

8. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I wonder how many legitimate downloads get incorrectly flagged up as illegitimate. Either-way, I hope it works without any innocent people getting falsely prosecuted.

9. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

And under which law will they be allowed to get ANY personal details from ISPs?

10. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Which would you prefer: DRM or a software publisher going after the pairates through the courts?

It's a no brainer really.

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

They wouldn't, but they can pass on the details they DO get (IP, etc) to the police, who can then subpoena the ISP for information. It's a precedent that has been set by the music industry, so there is already procedure in place.

12. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

As long as they are actually going through the courts (i.e. due process) then I don't have a problem with it. I'd prefer if they didn't go after people but it is within their rights and they won't be harming those who bought the game honestly.

13. Ream

Ream What's a Dremel?

This is a step forward, people who buy the game will not have any trouble with DRM while people who pirate it will fear what will happen to them, this is what the gaming community have been wanting for years DRM free games.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I think this is a brilliant idea. What you guys don't seem to realise is that they don't have to catch a significant ammount of pirates for this to have an effect. All they need is enough to get the word out, and that should make the rest think twice.

On a side note, i saw the preorder page on gog.com, they REALLY sweetened that deal. If i was the slightest bit interrested in the Witcher i'd jump on that opportunity.

15. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

i dont understand at all why people pirate

when most of the games that are realised now you need really pwoerfull £4-500 pc's to fully enjoy surely they can afford to fork out £20-40 for a game and if they dont like it return it

16. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Well it seems this is exactly the oposite of DRM - penalizing pirates instead of paying customers :)

17. impar

impar Minimodder

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Imagine them as a plague of locusts. Swarming from AAA game to AAA game, they dont even spend the time in each game to really enjoy it, they just hop to the next one.
    They are addicted to the hype.

19. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Whilst the idea of a company chasing people through the courts isn't a particularly nice one, I can't see why anybody would be complaining about this.

The game is being released *without DRM*. That's all any of us really ask for. If people still want to pirate a high-calibre, DRM-free game (and I don't doubt that they will), it seems a bit daft to be still complaining about the situation.

It just makes people sound pathetic. "Yes, we want a DRM free game, it's the future. It's better for purchasers. Oh, and when you're finished with that DRM game, we don't want you to go after pirates. Any pirates at all. Just let them enjoy their stolen game, it doesn't matter."

Effectively then, they want a game that will see a 0-day pirate release, installable as soon as the disc is ripped and uploaded to the web, and they want to play it for months on end with complete immunity.

That's not what they say when there's an argument about piracy on a forum.

20. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

And there are currently so many requests that the police has just simply stopped trying to keep up, we are still talking less than 1 % in which any action is taken. largely due to the police only going after the worst of them. The average pirate still has nothing to fear.

Tags: Add Tags