1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News CD Projekt to fine Witcher 2 pirates

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Nov 2010.

1. Canon

Canon Reformed

Take them for every penny I say, leave them without food and water, 1 less ass.

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

wow lotsa negative posts becoz theyr trying to catch pirates....

i mean, heck, i mightve downloaded a pirated game or two in the past, so i can relate to laughing at any of these futile matters...

...but its Witcher 2. A great game that i would definitely spend the money on, and now theyre saying its no DRM.

definitely all the positive energy to them if they want to catch them pirates.

and thank you for making this game non-DRM.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

And I'm very gratefull for them attempting it. :thumb:

Where I live, Games are exempt from refunds when opened...where do you live?:D

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Guys come one, The Witcher was an amazing game, with excellent review. It was truly worth every penny (the game was VERY long too). And i expect the same, if not better, experience with this new iteration, which looks like a very interesting game.

The guys of the company are awesome, they did everything they can to continuously fix bugs and improve the game. They released an "Enhanced edition" of the game with major bug fixes, new stories, all game music's in MP3 with a few more things. You think you have to go in the store to buy it, but nope. They made it so that The Witcher normal edition users can simply download the whole package, making everyone copy the full Enhanced edition. And I find that very generous from them.

And now that the The Witcher 2 is DRM free, we should all take side and purchase the game to encourage DRM free games. I know there is always pirates.. but if there is games that shows less pirating because it's DRM free, and more successful, then it might start a wave of having games without DRM, and call it an end to this system. Even if you don't like this style of game, you should buy it. Remember, we vote with our wallet. Publishers (probably Atari like the first one) doesn't look at your comments to judge if game is successful or not. They look at how much money it brought in to the publisher and developer.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but I am sick of all the re-ash FPS games that tries to be like Call of Duty, as everyone tries to cash in the crave. We should promote this. I am afraid that soon 99% of the games that will come out will be just ANOTHER FPS.

5. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

*Groan* I think you need a new dictionary.

6. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I've long been a supporter and fan of these guys through their own games and GOG.
    Their methods are a bit unorthodox at times and their PR can be a bit.. strange.. but I find it very, very hard to see the fairness in comparing them to music labels in this situation.

Music labels rip us off with albums that cost ridiculous sums of money for what we get and sue indiscriminately to make money. CD Projekt on the other hand, are giving some extremely reasonable prices and deals for the release of this game and doing so without DRM as a policy on their part.
    If they catch a few pirates and put people off stealing from them when they typically treat their customers far better than most companies out there, I say more power to them.

7. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Seriously? Why do people still pretend piracy and stealing are the same thing? If we use your logic, assault and attempted murder are also the same thing. :sigh:

8. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I'm thinking of buying a copy of this game (even though the game doesn't even appeal to me) just to support these guys.

I would like to see the complete end to DRM. It doesn't work, and in some cases of extremely inconveniencing DRM (Ubisoft), it forces people, who wouldn't normally pirate, to pirate the games.

Some of the original uploaders of these pirated games are well-known pirates, and should be taken out. We all know how difficult it is to track down pirates and casual pirates, but this company is taking the right steps forward, especially in terms of respecting its loyal paying customers.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

So are you saying that assault is OK? :eyebrow:

10. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Good luck with that...

While you're at that, I'm going to go copyright air and fine you all for illegally breathing it.

11. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Well that was a particularly bad analogy, if it was meant to be one.

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

*Groan* not this again....

Any way Assault and Attempted murder are both criminal offences so by your stupid analogy they are the same thing. Stealing is a criminal offence copy right infringement is a civil matter and are handled quite differently.

And in a attempt to stop this thread going completely of the rails, good on them for dropping any DRM plans and while i could live with out threats I realise they're not aimed at me since its been a while since i've pirated any games, hell its been a while since i had time to play the ones i bought in the last steam sale....

13. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

I know the difference between assault and attempted murder, but the people who claim piracy and stealing are the same thing are essentially pretending they're the same to invoke an emotional response. By my "stupid" analogy, attempted murder and assault aren't the same thing at all just because they're criminal offences, otherwise attempted murder and stealing would also be "the same thing" what with them both being criminal offences.

14. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

I will put my name to that, it costs you less to assault someone than to pirate a game/song/video. ;)

My ears perked up when I read DRM free. I might actually buy this if it gets good reviews. :p

Course if it doesn't get a good review (on bit-tech), I won't bother with it at all, and mark DRM free hype as a negative and clever PR to lure the punters in.

15. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

Their point was that they can't really fine you for it, in most places, downloading copyrighted content is a civil issue, there's nothing CD Projekt could realistically do about it.

It's great that they're finally getting rid of DRM, but the "we'll fine you for downloading our games", I see absolutely no need for them to say that because for the most part they can't.

16. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

That's what you got from my post? :confused:

If you want to put it that way though, the likes of the RIAA and MPAA seem to think copyright infringement is worse than assault...

17. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'm all in favour of CD Projekt doing this provided there are absolutely no "false positives" from the companies they are employing to do this. They really don't want to start saying Grannies who just about know how to use Word and order stuff from Amazon are pirates.

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Whilst I applaud the fact that they are going DRM free I do have to question their statement that they will pursue fines against those who pirate it.

I don't see them getting very far with that.

Unfortunately this may actually lead to the game being pirated even more as there is nothing physically preventing it any more (at least needs "cracking"). The threat of fines is probably not even on a pirates mind.

I do hope they suceed though, despite not liking the first Witcher game personally I could see the attraction it had to others.

19. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

You analogy does not fit with the "stealing" of games logic:

Assault and attempted murder can be two separate things. They are both crimes, but you can assault someone with or without attempting to kill them. You may just want to hurt them a bit.

Piracy is stealing, because you have taken (or downloaded) a product that you have not paid for. It's not half stealing or borrowing, it is stealing. There's not much difference to walking into a high street store and taking a retail copy of the game off the shelf, then walking out of the store and saying you're just borrowing it to see if you like it. The only reason "stealing" is more popular on the internet is because it's far easier to do, and your fear of being caught and prosecuted is a lot less.

The fact is that the copyright of these games is usually owned by the publisher. A copy-"right" is a legal right which is automatically granted to the game developer, who then may give over the rights to a publisher to invest their money into marketing and making copies of it for financial profit.

Now, whether the product exists as a boxed retail product or a digital copy online, doesn't matter. The fact is that the publisher owns the copyright and if you take a "copy" of the product and that copy has not been paid for, then it is stealing.

It's nothing to do with trying to invoke an emotional response, it's stealing, and that is a legal fact.

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

No, not really, just trolling tbh. I'm sick of bad piracy analogies.

Tags: Add Tags