1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Digital Storm announces peltier-packing Hailstorm

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 24 Nov 2010.

1. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Certainly a beautiful system and ya like others the person that can buy this wont give a damn about some "poor" boy laughing at then when they pull away in their exotic or walk into their 8000 sq ft home... lol

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Certainly sir, although they are using a 970 here.

3. deadsea

deadsea What's a Dremel?

I'm probably not the intended market audience so I can't see the point of something like this. It's got to be cheaper (and possibly more efficient at cooling) to buy a mini freezer, stick a PC in it and punch a hole through a side for the cables.

It even doubles up as drinks storage if you get a slightly bigger freezer.

4. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

but seriously, how do they keep condensation from frying their pretty little over-priced "gaming" machine? is the CPU socket sealed or something?

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

like bumsrush and pete :D

it looks nice though.. it might be worth it for some people- course any of us here can build the same thing for half that.. just won't look as nice, but we could load it up with stuff and give them the bucktooth guarantee to avoid the geek squad and come back for any hard/soft repair

maybe stencil paint logo's on it for a little extra (eg a wiener)

6. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Probably neoprene around the CPU socket, or some type of grease around the socket, LN2 overclockers slather it in Vaseline or clear nail polish or something similar. I am sure they have taken measure to prevent condensation.

7. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

They do make beautiful, if overpriced, systems

the CPU socket seems to be insulated with neoprene (judging by the pictures on their website).

They must be running a lot of fans on that system to dissapate the heat from the hot side of the TEC, gotta be quite a few with some big rads to get rid of that much heat

8. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I would build one for half their price and still make 100% profit :p

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Including after sales support and RMA/warrenty claims?

10. Xir

Xir Modder

It's amazing how little..well, custom builds are really around.
    Or maybe I just don't go to the millionaires faire, to see a case with gold-plated-diamond-studded-fans :D
    Bad enough there's mobile phones that look like this
    ...there's a german T-Shirt that says "nach Frankreich fahr ich nur auf Ketten" (I only drive to France on tracks) :D

11. knyghtryda

knyghtryda What's a Dremel?

Peltier systems are notoriously power inefficient. I remember people building peltier rigs a few years ago that needed a separate 200+watt 12v supply just for the TEC element! I honestly would go with a vapochill style refrigeration rig and be done with it. At least then you know you'll get below zero load temps for the amount of power you're dumping into it...

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Looks nice but I wouldn't buy it.

13. tom_hargreaves

tom_hargreaves Comfy shoe wearer

The price isn't actually THAT expensive when you compare them to the Scan systems, which are far more expensive - And don't cool the CPU's to 0 degrees either.

14. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

sweet jebas! With a Corsair 800D xD

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Not necessarily. Some submarine reactors for example operate at low power on natural convection without a pump. Hot water rises, cooler water descends, the bigger the delta T the more effective it is. I'm not sure if they have done it, but pumpless is possible.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

There's house heating systems that work that way. (well old...old..old ones anyway)I always wondered why nobody used that for PC's. Probably needs too large componentsYou'd need large diameter tubing though, convection is slow.

On the other hand, Caravan fridges work on this principle. They're pretty complicated, but work well.

17. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

exactly. a nuclear reactor running at 500 celsius and cooled by 0 degree seawater has an enormous temperature spread and will thus produce significant convection currents. comparing that to a 60 degree CPU in a 23 degree room isnt exactly accurate. im not saying "it cant be done", but it would be no easy feat.

18. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

It's a nice looking rig but the Murderbox builds are better; can't afford either though.

19. karx11erx

karx11erx What's a Dremel?

The computer looks cool, but I think something like this is utterly senseless. In a year or less there will always be a CPU that achieves the same or better performance w/o insanely expensive cooling. So what are you gonna do with this? Play some game on three 30" inchs in a triple head setup at 60 fps?

Shrug.

20. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Perhaps it's for playing Warface.

Tags: Add Tags