1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Farming Simulator 2011 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 23 Nov 2010.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Quite. Couple that with a 5/10 shows that it's probably wise to listen to one's intuition.

It's my common sense and openess that make me see this in perspective.

Now I'm just waiting for the 'Watching Paint Dry Simulator'.

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

I feel this way about simulators generally. The only exception I can see in their defence is when they're simulating something extremely ****ing difficult and complex that you can't afford to get wrong in real life - like flying. I understand why flight simulators exist, and why military warfare simulators exist, and why space shuttle operation simulators exist - they're things you really do NOT want to **** up.

Farming, on the other hand, is fairly straight-forward with some advice and training, and if you get it wrong, the only downside is that you don't quite farm right, or you break a bit of machinery.

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Problem is, any job simulated accurately is going to be pretty dull most of the time. Ask soldiers what they spend most of their days doing and I'll bet you wouldn't want to make a game of it.

The flip side is also true though. Almost any activity has parts that are interesting enough to be made into a game. Watching paint dry is boring as hell, but you could make an over all painting sim that deals with estimating, budgeting for materials, trying to guess what the weather will do, etc etc and it might be worth playing. Who remembers the lemonade stand sim from the 80's? I seem to recall a waitress sim (dinner dash?) was popular recently.

It's less a matter of what the subject is than how it's put together.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Very true. One of my favourite old Amiga games was Sim Ant. Who'd want to play as an ant? But it was awesome and I completed it many, many times.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Wheat a minute and stop rabbiting on, some people might be a-tractor'd to this sort of thing.

As for the previous replies, I seed what you did there.

It's not too Deere, either.

Why do some of the pictures in the review look a little cropped?

Joe, you left the gate open for this I'm afraid...

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Been done.

[​IMG]

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Oh man that was an awesome game. Want.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2010
  8. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Woh, hoh - hold on a 'cotton-picking' minute there. I distinctly remember seeing a picture of a tractor harvesting a car... Ticks all the right ('egg')boxes for me!! FS 2011 Cheesecake IMHO!!

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, soothing a 2 and a half year old for 20 minutes is not a small achievement! :D

Walk (can't run decently anyway) the wrong way in "Operation Flashpoint", there's a hiking simulator for you :D

Tags: Add Tags